General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Just bought silver 5-speed 96 I30!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Lightly modded

Just bought silver 5-speed 96 I30!!!!!!!

Well, after months of trying to figure out what to do, I finally sold my old car. It was a black 95 GLE with some mods and 88K. I sold it for $7500!! So for a while I couldn't find a car to buy, cause all the 95/96 5 speed Maximas in my area had too many miles. However, my friend pointed out an ad for a silver 96 I30 with gray leather, and 5 speed. Sounded good to me. It has 82K on it. I got it for $6300!!

However, I think I hear the dreaded first gear whine.....It also has a cracked lower cornering light and fog light on the passenger side. I was quoted at $330 for both!!! Where can I find those cheaper? I'm gonna be checking the local junkyards soon. I also want to buy an OEM spoiler for it. The I30t spoiler is the same as a SE spoiler, right? What would be the best place to get one (new or used)?

I also plan on getting custom leather interior, and I would like to try and sell my gray leather interior. I see the rear seat has headrests on the I30. The leather is in real good condition. But since the leather wont fit a Maxima, and most I30's have leather standard, I don't think too many people will be interested in buying it. So how would you guys reccomend selling the leather?

I also plan on debadging the rear of the car, but I'm not sure which badges are attached using tape, and which are attached using holes and stuff. I debadged my Max, but I don't know if the little INFINITI letters across the taillights are just taped on, or what. Can anybody shed some light on this?

I'm still learning how to shift and launch correctly, but I can tell driving this car is gonna be fun. I plan on modding this pretty heavily over the next few months, so look out you guys!

Oh, I want to flush my tranny and engine. Are there any specific places/methods you guys reccomend for doing this? I will be putting Amsoil in both.

Thanks for reading the long post guys. Sorry for the questions, but the search is off for now.....

One more thing, where is the best place to buy a G-Tech unit? I need to learn how to drive......
Old 03-16-2003, 10:11 AM
aka UNCDooD

dude, the infiniti leather will fit in a maxima. well, i dunno about the back seats since it has holes for the headrest but I think it should. not 100% sure on that tho.

now lets see some pics of the car.

p.s. you might be able to find more info in the I30 section.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:35 AM
Lightly modded

Originally posted by UNCDooD
dude, the infiniti leather will fit in a maxima. well, i dunno about the back seats since it has holes for the headrest but I think it should. not 100% sure on that tho.

now lets see some pics of the car.

p.s. you might be able to find more info in the I30 section.
i know the seats will physically fit, but i dont know about the whole headrest issue. you guys will get pics when shes clean......
Old 03-16-2003, 03:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I might be interested...believe it or not, a few I30's came from the factory without leather, if you can send me some pics and I think it'll work with the black dash and everything maybe we can work out a deal.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Just bought silver 5-speed 96 I30!!!!!!!

Originally posted by 95maxrider

Oh, I want to flush my tranny and engine. Are there any specific places/methods you guys reccomend for doing this? I will be putting Amsoil in both.
Nice exchange! Who's the rich guy willing to shell out $7.5k for a 95GLE?

In any case, you don't know how the car was driven so you may be needing a new clutch some time soon. It may not be a good idea to buy that 4.5L of sythetic tranny oil just yet... BTW, tranny oil is drained and refilled...no flush. VERY easy for anyone to do.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:49 PM
Lightly modded

Re: Re: Just bought silver 5-speed 96 I30!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Mishmosh

Nice exchange! Who's the rich guy willing to shell out $7.5k for a 95GLE?

In any case, you don't know how the car was driven so you may be needing a new clutch some time soon. It may not be a good idea to buy that 4.5L of sythetic tranny oil just yet... BTW, tranny oil is drained and refilled...no flush. VERY easy for anyone to do.
the guy is actually in law school. i sold the car with 2 10" subs, amp, tint, 16" 2001 GLE rims, 2 new axles, new alternator.....so it wasnt THAT outrageous.....thanks for the tranny tips.

A-Ronmax- you got PM
Old 03-16-2003, 04:55 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Congrats. Sounds like a nice car. To anwser your question about shaving the emblems:

Old 03-16-2003, 04:58 PM
Lightly modded

Originally posted by I30tMikeD
Congrats. Sounds like a nice car. To anwser your question about shaving the emblems:

ahhhhh. i like. thank you.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

umm hello guys....swapped it all in...
i30 Interior Swap Pics
could be the best thing i have done for the car.
--Paul
Old 03-16-2003, 09:02 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

uh oh! you hear whine?? I suggest you rebuild ure tranny while u have the extra money u made!!
Old 03-17-2003, 05:00 AM

Originally posted by nadir_s
uh oh! you hear whine?? I suggest you rebuild ure tranny while u have the extra money u made!!
1st gear whine/groan is perfectly normal.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Lightly modded

1st gear whine/groan is perfectly normal.
i thought the 1st gear whine was sign of the mis-shimmed bearings or something in the tranny. i also do hear a slight groan while engaging first, but since this is my first stick car, i dont know whats normal, whats my fault, and whats wrong with the car. any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:12 PM

whine/groan

I would only start worrying if you hear whining in any other gear but first.

I have personally heard clutch groan in first gear on occasion ever since after the first year and my original clutch is still going strong at 90k miles and 8 years...
Old 03-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Lightly modded

Re: whine/groan

I would only start worrying if you hear whining in any other gear but first.

I have personally heard clutch groan in first gear on occasion ever since after the first year and my original clutch is still going strong at 90k miles and 8 years...
cool. thanks for the info.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:05 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Just bought silver 5-speed 96 I30!!!!!!!

Originally posted by 95maxrider
Well, after months of trying to figure out what to do, I finally sold my old car. It was a black 95 GLE with some mods and 88K. I sold it for $7500!! So for a while I couldn't find a car to buy, cause all the 95/96 5 speed Maximas in my area had too many miles. However, my friend pointed out an ad for a silver 96 I30 with gray leather, and 5 speed. Sounded good to me. It has 82K on it. I got it for $6300!!

However, I think I hear the dreaded first gear whine.....It also has a cracked lower cornering light and fog light on the passenger side. I was quoted at $330 for both!!! Where can I find those cheaper? I'm gonna be checking the local junkyards soon. I also want to buy an OEM spoiler for it. The I30t spoiler is the same as a SE spoiler, right? What would be the best place to get one (new or used)?

I also plan on getting custom leather interior, and I would like to try and sell my gray leather interior. I see the rear seat has headrests on the I30. The leather is in real good condition. But since the leather wont fit a Maxima, and most I30's have leather standard, I don't think too many people will be interested in buying it. So how would you guys reccomend selling the leather?

I also plan on debadging the rear of the car, but I'm not sure which badges are attached using tape, and which are attached using holes and stuff. I debadged my Max, but I don't know if the little INFINITI letters across the taillights are just taped on, or what. Can anybody shed some light on this?

I'm still learning how to shift and launch correctly, but I can tell driving this car is gonna be fun. I plan on modding this pretty heavily over the next few months, so look out you guys!

Thanks for reading the long post guys. Sorry for the questions, but the search is off for now.....

One more thing, where is the best place to buy a G-Tech unit? I need to learn how to drive......
The I30 wing is different from the Maxima wing, but you can try to see if it fits.