General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I'm Up Sh!ts Creek With No Paddles.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 04:28 PM

I'm Up ***** Creek With No Paddles.

I wrote a few weeks ago about my stripped/crossthreaded lug, well, i brought it to a tire guy by me and he doesn't even want to do the job with the fear of ruining the rim. Basically, I have a cross threaded lock nut which is now on a stripped stud. When you go to turn the lock nut the entire stud turns with it as well. I got to get this damnn fukin thing off the car because I have a slow leak in my tire and i need to get it fixed. This is honestly one of the most frustrating thing i have ever went through with my car. What's a ***** fuka to do in a situation like this? Please, anyone with any constructive advice please respond.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I'm Up ***** Creek With No Paddles.

Originally posted by pmas76
I wrote a few weeks ago about my stripped/crossthreaded lug, well, i brought it to a tire guy by me and he doesn't even want to do the job with the fear of ruining the rim. Basically, I have a cross threaded lock nut which is now on a stripped stud. When you go to turn the lock nut the entire stud turns with it as well. I got to get this damnn fukin thing off the car because I have a slow leak in my tire and i need to get it fixed. This is honestly one of the most frustrating thing i have ever went through with my car. What's a ***** fuka to do in a situation like this? Please, anyone with any constructive advice please respond.
Parts stores sell something called a NUTT CRACKER. It goes over the nut and it clamps down (while your tightning it) and drives a wedge into the nut untill it breaks the nut. Then youll have to of course punch out the stud.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 04 OEM Nissan Center caps

Originally posted by Kashoggio
These are brand new , no scratches, dents , dings, chips, or anything
These are the new design for Nissan with a elevated chrome Nissan "hamburger" logo that will fit most Nissan rims out there and any after market rims that has a 2 inch center bore. The price is 35 shipped keep in mind these are almost 20 dollars from a dealer for one. Pm me with any offers
WTF?!?

I agree with ChillWill, you're going to have to destroy the lug and punch it out.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:38 PM

Re: 04 OEM Nissan Center caps

Originally posted by Kashoggio
These are brand new , no scratches, dents , dings, chips, or anything
These are the new design for Nissan with a elevated chrome Nissan "hamburger" logo that will fit most Nissan rims out there and any after market rims that has a 2 inch center bore. The price is 35 shipped keep in mind these are almost 20 dollars from a dealer for one. Pm me with any offers
LoL smoke much?
Old 03-20-2003, 10:07 PM

You might try taking it to the dealership....probably your best bet.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=199018

Scroll down and read my second post, I dont care what any1 sez thats how u take it out w/o discoloring nothing or destroying anything.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:35 PM

maybe if temporarily weld the stud to the hub then you might be able to loosen the lug off? then just grind the weld off the stud and replace the stud. just dont weld too deep or it will warp something.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:25 AM
STFU n00b!

it's a long shot, but this is how I've seen people around here steal wheels with locks on them.. remove all 4 other lugs, then start rocking the wheel back and forth on the stripped lug. after a few times, the stud will fatigue and snap off. then you can remove the rest uf the stud from the hub. if it's stripped out already, you're going to have to buy a new hub anyway, so might as well just go for it.
damage to the wheel is possible, but from all the ones I've seen recovered after theft, there's only minimal damage to the wheel. easily something that a good wheel shop can repair and not be seen.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:34 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

What about grinding/cutting off the back of the stud, then punching it out (away from the car)?
Old 03-21-2003, 08:36 AM
Administrator

when i had this problem i used a dremmel to cut the lug stud off...
Old 03-21-2003, 08:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would take a dremel tool with one of those little cut off wheels and cut the lug nut along the length of the stud. Rotate everything 180 degrees and make a second cut. If you go to deep and cut ito the stud, who cares, it's already ruined. The nut should just fall off with a little help. Now you can take the wheel off and repair the stud.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by chavvez
I would take a dremel tool with one of those little cut off wheels and cut the lug nut along the length of the stud. Rotate everything 180 degrees and make a second cut. If you go to deep and cut ito the stud, who cares, it's already ruined. The nut should just fall off with a little help. Now you can take the wheel off and repair the stud.
the first time it happen to me i cut the lug studd right off..

the second time.. i noticed that with the speed of the dremmel.. the lug nut started to spin.. so i got some needle nose.. held the lug stud and then had the dremmel spin the stud off..

so if you can somehow get something to hold the lug stud in place.. you might be able to take the lug nut off
Old 03-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was thinking of making the 2 cuts parallel to the stud:

......cut
.......|
.......V
..---------
..|....|....|
..|....|....| lug nut
..|....|....|
..---------
.....|...|
.....|...| stud
.....|...|
Old 03-22-2003, 11:54 AM

**UPDATE**

Well, my father spent three hours today while I was at work and he thankfully was able to remove the lock nut. He bought a drummel set and started to hack away at two different angles from either direction making a “V” till he hit the stud. Then he used a drill and started with a 1/16 inch drill bit and then gradually worked up to about a 3/8 inch drill bit. He had to wedge a piece of wood to hold the nut in place because it wanted to spin with the stripped stud when he went to drill it. After drilling he said the lock nut just fell off. The only scratch was a small pencil eraser size knick on the face of the rim next to the lughole. He said he taped it up and all and was surprised that there was a knick on it. Oh well, it’s a small price to pay for a job well done. It’s better then having to replace the rim. I’ll just touch it up with a dab of silver touch up I have. Now I just have to replace the stud and buy a new set of lock nuts. Shouldn’t be that difficult.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their great advice. I love having so many friends on the org that are always eager to throw in their two cents. Take care.

P.S. I suppose I owe my father a nice dinner for doing such a great job.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:13 PM

Two weeks ago, I had a similar problem. I couldn't get my wheel lock off because the stud was turning. The wheel lock luckily wasn't stripped. Whenever I turned the wheel lock though, the stud would turn as well.
The guy at the dealership took all the other lug nuts off and used his crowbar to pull the wheel towards him (trying to lock the stud).
It ended up working and we got the wheel lock off without damaging the wheel. However, he did end up bending his crowbar slightly
Since I only go to this dealership, all the mechanics know me and like me so the guy didn't charge a second of his time (even though it took about 45 minutes to do everything).

If you want good Nissan service, find a decent dealership and stick with them. They'll do a lot of stuff for you free (like when they replaced my MAF and ignition coils for free).
Of course they have to be decent to start with (guess that's the hardest part, finding a decent dealership).
Old 03-22-2003, 03:19 PM

Re: **UPDATE**

Originally posted by pmas76
Well, my father spent three hours today while I was at work and he thankfully was able to remove the lock nut. He bought a drummel set and started to hack away at two different angles from either direction making a “V” till he hit the stud. Then he used a drill and started with a 1/16 inch drill bit and then gradually worked up to about a 3/8 inch drill bit. He had to wedge a piece of wood to hold the nut in place because it wanted to spin with the stripped stud when he went to drill it. After drilling he said the lock nut just fell off. The only scratch was a small pencil eraser size knick on the face of the rim next to the lughole. He said he taped it up and all and was surprised that there was a knick on it. Oh well, it’s a small price to pay for a job well done. It’s better then having to replace the rim. I’ll just touch it up with a dab of silver touch up I have. Now I just have to replace the stud and buy a new set of lock nuts. Shouldn’t be that difficult.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their great advice. I love having so many friends on the org that are always eager to throw in their two cents. Take care.

P.S. I suppose I owe my father a nice dinner for doing such a great job.
yeah you do.