General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hacked airbox feels a lot better than the hybrid intake with the MEVI/JWT ECU!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 11:42 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Hacked airbox feels a lot better than the hybrid intake with the MEVI/JWT ECU!?!?!

As many of you know, I got my JWT ECU last Wednesday evening and I've been having a blast. On Tuesday night, in anticipation of getting my ECU, I swapped my HKS hybrid intake back in place of my hacked stock airbox setup because I was a bit worried the extra 500rpms (6500-7000) on the hacked airbox would choke the VQ. So Wednesday night thru Friday night, I was running the HKS intake with the MEVI. Acceleration was wicked and the VQ was happy to run at 6000+. Saturday morning I decided to experiment and put the hacked airbox back on just to see. To my amazement, the VQ feels even stronger down low, in the midrange, and even up top. Dare I say the motor winds out to 7000rpms even better than the hybrid Tip-in acceleration is better too. I'm astonished. All the hacked airbox has is cut-up lower airbox, no resonators, stock intake snorkel, and a K&N filter panel. I'm pretty happy to report that this setup is as good and possibly better than the hybrid setup because I really like the underhood stealth appearance. It will be a nice setup in the summer too because a lot more cooler air can be funneled to the filter.

Dave
Old 03-22-2003, 11:45 PM
Ramius83

Take it to the dyno por favor, I would like to see some numbers.......

Also, how is the MEVI above 6500? Mine pulls so hard, but then I have to shift lol at 6500....

Old 03-23-2003, 12:41 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Ramius83
Take it to the dyno por favor, I would like to see some numbers.......

Also, how is the MEVI above 6500? Mine pulls so hard, but then I have to shift lol at 6500....
It will be going to the dyno and I'll make sure to run with the hacked airbox. Requim6 has the same mods as myself and he put out exactly the same power without the JWT ECU as my 96 did. He recently dynoed with the ECU and a hybrid intake. I'll run mine with the hacked airbox and hopefully we can overlay the plots.

I'll be going to the track next Sunday weather permitting.

Honestly, it feels like the VQ pulls better from 6500-7000 with the hacked airbox. With the HKS intake, I could feel VQ choking right before 7000rpms in 2nd. With the hacked airbox the VQ just feels velvety all the way to 7000rpms. I would have never thought an extra 8fwhp/fwtq in the midrange and an extra 500rpms could make such a difference with the MEVI. 1st gear flys to the 7000rpms and landing the 1-2 shift results in no momentary bog when you hit 2nd. Almost immediately the tach is at 5000rpms and is flying to 7000rpms. Then you bang the 2-3 and rpms drop to only ~5100rpms. Almost immediately you're going 85mph. I haven't taken 3rd past 5800rpms. It's just a completely different animal. It was as if JWT had been planning on the MEVI to hit the US and that's why the ECU is programmed for midrange power and a 7000rpm fuel-cut

Dave
Old 03-23-2003, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

It will be going to the dyno and I'll make sure to run with the hacked airbox. Requim6 has the same mods as myself and he put out exactly the same power without the JWT ECU as my 96 did. He recently dynoed with the ECU and a hybrid intake. I'll run mine with the hacked airbox and hopefully we can overlay the plots.

Honestly, it feels like the VQ pulls better from 6500-7000 with the hacked airbox. With the HKS intake, I could feel VQ choking right before 7000rpms in 2nd. With the hacked airbox the VQ just feels velvety all the way to 7000rpms. I would have never thought an extra 8fwhp/fwtq in the midrange and an extra 500rpms could make such a difference with the MEVI. 1st gear flys to the 7000rpms and landing the 1-2 shift results in no momentary bog when you hit 2nd. Almost immediately the tach is at 5000rpms and is flying to 7000rpms. Then you bang the 2-3 and rpms drop to only ~5100rpms. Almost immediately you're going 85mph. I haven't taken 3rd past 5800rpms. It's just a completely different animal. It was as if JWT had been planning on the MEVI to hit the US and that's why the ECU is programmed for midrange power and a 7000rpm fuel-cut

Dave
could it be the type of filter element? small foam filter? how would a K&N element compare to the hks foam?
Old 03-23-2003, 03:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Damn that's nice. That's the ulitmate VQ in my book

DW

Dave
Old 03-23-2003, 03:43 AM

In his setup, the foam filter is actually bigger, b/c the K&N filter is a panel type, it replaces the stock filter, so it's the exact same size as stock, but it's a K&N pink cotton gauze instead of paper.

By the way Dave, how does the hacked setup sound?? Much quieter? Almost as quiet as stock? If there's anything I miss about the stock setup is that the VQ is almost toally silent, so silent you hit your rev limiter without noticing you're revving so high.

DW

Originally posted by Nismo

could it be the type of filter element? small foam filter? how would a K&N element compare to the hks foam?
Old 03-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by dwapenyi
In his setup, the foam filter is actually bigger, b/c the K&N filter is a panel type, it replaces the stock filter, so it's the exact same size as stock, but it's a K&N pink cotton gauze instead of paper.

By the way Dave, how does the hacked setup sound?? Much quieter? Almost as quiet as stock? If there's anything I miss about the stock setup is that the VQ is almost toally silent, so silent you hit your rev limiter without noticing you're revving so high.

DW

The HKS foam filters are probably the highest flowing filters on the market, they're also the worst at filtering.

The sound of the hacked airbox is what I really like. It's not quiet, but it's not quite as loud as the hybrid at WOT. The sound is more uniform and refined plus the MEVI switchover is more pronounced. Now, when I hadn't made any cuts to the airbox, the setup was just about as quiet as stock (no resonators, K&N panel filter). I dynoed with that setup and made the same exact power from 2000-5500rpms as my HKS hybrid. I have yet to dyno with this newer setup.

Dave
Old 03-23-2003, 12:09 PM

Nice. Looks like the hacked setup will be in my future

DW

The HKS foam filters are probably the highest flowing filters on the market, they're also the worst at filtering.

The sound of the hacked airbox is what I really like. It's not quiet, but it's not quite as loud as the hybrid at WOT. The sound is more uniform and refined plus the MEVI switchover is more pronounced. Now, when I hadn't made any cuts to the airbox, the setup was just about as quiet as stock (no resonators, K&N panel filter). I dynoed with that setup and made the same exact power from 2000-5500rpms as my HKS hybrid. I have yet to dyno with this newer setup.

Dave
Old 03-23-2003, 04:44 PM

Dave there is a sure fire test you can do without a dyno to see which intake flows better. Take a DMM and measure the MAF voltage during a full gear run with both intakes. Which ever intake produces more voltage, flows more air and should make more power. Also you can do cool things like measure air flow at idle, 2000rpm or from a low rpm pull. I wish I could've posted http://www.sr20deforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34765 earlier so more people could get in.

I've been playing with the techtom for awhile and I love it. This would allow you to monitor maf volts and IAT temps as well. The SR20 guys found out that a CAI produces more maf voltage thus it makes more power than a hks/pop/si style intake. But a cheaper way to tell the difference is to measure the MAF voltage.

Dave
Old 03-23-2003, 04:50 PM

Dave
I love my airbox with a hole in it

sounds meaner then stock and not as loud as a intake, you can actually hear the engine in 2nd going WOT.