General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Locking / non-locking differential, what's the difference???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Locking / non-locking differential, what's the difference???

What is the difference between locking and non-locking differentials??? I found a VLSD transmission for my Maxima, but I have no clue as to what I need. On a side note, anyone know where a good place to buy a VLSD driver's axle would be??? Thanks for any help at all!

big_dawg
Old 03-28-2003, 03:37 PM

Re: Locking / non-locking differential, what's the difference???

Originally posted by big_dawg
What is the difference between locking and non-locking differentials??? I found a VLSD transmission for my Maxima, but I have no clue as to what I need. On a side note, anyone know where a good place to buy a VLSD driver's axle would be??? Thanks for any help at all!

big_dawg
i'm looking for a VLSD tran for my max cause mine shat out on me... i'll answer your questions if u get me one and i know a goooood place to find a driver's side half axle for the VLSD

mike
Old 03-29-2003, 06:43 AM

Re: Locking / non-locking differential, what's the difference???

big_dawg

locking = LSD

non-locking = open diff

car-part.com
Old 03-30-2003, 04:52 AM

Re: Re: Locking / non-locking differential, what's the difference???

Originally posted by marcdown20

i'm looking for a VLSD tran for my max cause mine shat out on me... i'll answer your questions if u get me one and i know a goooood place to find a driver's side half axle for the VLSD

mike
All I know is that it's coming from up by Downey. The shop I called about a rebuild found a used tranny for me when I explained what I was trying to do. If you want I can ask them on Monday when I make an appointment for the work. Lemme know.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:08 AM

just be very careful, many places sell "locking dif" or "lsd" tranny's that are not. btw, incase you hadnt picked up .... locking=lsd
Old 03-30-2003, 07:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: Locking / non-locking differential, what's the difference???

All I know is that it's coming from up by Downey. The shop I called about a rebuild found a used tranny for me when I explained what I was trying to do. If you want I can ask them on Monday when I make an appointment for the work. Lemme know.
yeah... i got some leads too from around where i live... how much is this guy lookin for?

mike
Old 03-30-2003, 11:55 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Locking / non-locking differential, what's the difference???

yeah... i got some leads too from around where i live... how much is this guy lookin for?

mike
$650 shipped to the shop with a 6 month warranty and I believe that they offer extended warranty too.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Locking / non-locking differential, what's the difference???

$650 shipped to the shop with a 6 month warranty and I believe that they offer extended warranty too.
that sounds too good to be true... most of the locking ones i found around here were $1100 and up... and the non-locking were from $700 so i really would be curious of the transmission code that is on that one and if it really does have VLSD

mike
Old 03-31-2003, 04:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Locking / non-locking differential, what's the difference???

that sounds too good to be true... most of the locking ones i found around here were $1100 and up... and the non-locking were from $700 so i really would be curious of the transmission code that is on that one and if it really does have VLSD

mike
You were right, the $650 quote was for non-locking tranny! They wanted $1200 for locking transmission and since I can't wait any longer I'm just getting another regular transmission. oh well.
Thanks for the help.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:46 PM

I'm not sure if others have tried the Phantom Grip "LSD." Nissanperformancemagazine.com tested it out on a dyno and had good reviews. I know a guy with a H23 prelude that held it up to 300HP. At 450HP, the whole diff and tranny blew. Has a video clip and everything. But I think if you stay within a 40% power increase, the Phantom Grip should be fine. I think I'm going to go this route...the Quaife is just too expensive and the VLSD wear out over time.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Locking / non-locking differential, what's the difference???

You were right, the $650 quote was for non-locking tranny! They wanted $1200 for locking transmission and since I can't wait any longer I'm just getting another regular transmission. oh well.
Thanks for the help.
i think i'm gonna be able to get mine for about 1100 so i guess that's a pretty good price... better luck for you in the future w/ your tranny... but just think of it like this... not spend the extra money and put the locking differential in yourself...

mike
Old 03-31-2003, 08:18 PM
4 Maximas and counting

And now there are the Viteks as well

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
I'm not sure if others have tried the Phantom Grip "LSD." Nissanperformancemagazine.com tested it out on a dyno and had good reviews. I know a guy with a H23 prelude that held it up to 300HP. At 450HP, the whole diff and tranny blew. Has a video clip and everything. But I think if you stay within a 40% power increase, the Phantom Grip should be fine. I think I'm going to go this route...the Quaife is just too expensive and the VLSD wear out over time.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
Welp, I just ordered a Phantom Grip conversion kit. I hope to get it by Thursday so I can have the shop install it. I just have a quick question, is the part # for the transmission RF50A???
Old 04-01-2003, 11:05 PM

phantom grip = two metal plates

only good in a straight line... kinda like a detroit locker.. enjoy =P
Old 04-02-2003, 12:07 AM

Welp, I just ordered a Phantom Grip conversion kit. I hope to get it by Thursday so I can have the shop install it. I just have a quick question, is the part # for the transmission RF50A???
You should copy the instructions by Jay25? and Eric Wong...they have a shortcut in the Differential removal and installation...should save about 3-4 hours of labor...meaning saving you some money.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:35 AM
4 Maximas and counting

looks like it works in turns as well...

http://www.phantomgrip.com/whatis.html

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
phantom grip = two metal plates

only good in a straight line... kinda like a detroit locker.. enjoy =P
Old 05-08-2003, 12:46 AM

Any updates?
Old 05-08-2003, 06:58 AM

I was interested in this as well. Does anyone have reviews of the phantom grip?