General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Stillen Y Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2000, 08:44 PM

Greetings All,

I have been waiting patiently for the arrival of my new Stillen Y pipe. The universal model that is made of stailess steel non-rusting, high quality, well designed for fitting, no rattling fully under warranty.
I bought a CAT and a CAI to go with it. Al waiting for the moment of arrival.
So the day came and I rushed to open the box. Sad surprice!, great disappointment!.
The box contained a Y all right... One could almost be part of an WWII movie.
See for yourselves.
Now don't be confused, this is a **brand new** unit.
The question is: Do they get this rotten after they are installed for a while? (even if they were shining new?).
Also noticed the spray painted cover up of the front extension to the down pipe, humm, (would the real slim shady please stand up...)
Have you guys had such bad luck?

[Edited by Carlos A on 09-12-2000 at 11:10 PM]
Old 09-12-2000, 08:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WTF

Call up $teelin and make them pay for the shipping to swap that unit out. Mine was not like that when I got it, it was new. That one is f*cked!!! Send them a e-mail of the picture. It should not be like that!
Old 09-12-2000, 09:36 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

MardiGrasMax is right... send it back and make THEM pay for it.
Old 09-12-2000, 09:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The pipe is NOT Stainless Steel.. Its chromed mild steel. Mild steel isn't shiny. Thats why they chrome it. And for protection too. The unit is new. If it were used.. The unit discolors.
Old 09-12-2000, 10:31 PM
I'm needing a caw

Send it back asap->

It looks like it will rust from the inside out. eek
Old 09-13-2000, 05:58 AM

Send it back and get the Cattman pipe

I would send it back and get a Cattman Stainless Steel pipe. Stillen has some great engineering talent but they need for the market to dictate to them that:

a) We will not put up with sub-standard crap
b) We want our exhaust parts to be made of stainless steel - NO EXCEPTIONS.

Old 09-13-2000, 06:11 AM

I have just recently received my y-pipe from stillen

Mine looks like that inside too. There must be an explanation for the rust or rust looking stuff inside. maybe it's part of the manufacturing process. Unfortunately the two pieces of the y-pipe do not even fit together. So stillen said they will have it picked up, but of course, it's still sitting in my living room. they need better focus on the customer because as of this point they are lacking very much in this department. Do your two pieces fit together?

Old 09-13-2000, 06:36 AM

Did they use that thing as a boat anchor?? Ya think a compnay like Stillen would have a little more pride and maybe inspect the stuff before it leaves.
Old 09-13-2000, 08:47 AM
Keven97SE

Looks like normal mild steel piping to me. Even humidity will cause a light layer of rust to form.

What did you expect it to look like? You did realize it wasn't going to be stainless, right?

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Rust will eventually form inside/outside anyway. As long as it stays a light, even coat, you really don't have to worry too much about "rotting".

Old 09-13-2000, 11:03 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Who told you it was stainless steel??

It is not and that's why it looks like that. You can't get stainless steel product for that cheap. Not even cattman's jethot y-pipe is stainless steel. You will need to pay $$$ for stainless steel. Cattman ~$450. Who ever told you is WRONG? If it's the stillen rep, call him back and chew him out.
Old 09-13-2000, 11:13 AM
Cloud

You are not alone....

I also bought a Y-pipe from Stillen. They shipped the wrong unit. It didn't matter though because I would have returned it anyway, the welds looked like turkey **** and the chrome jub must have been done in Shanghai.

I also bought one of their Hi-Flow intakes (which I've since replaced with a cold air intake from Max-Rev Motorsports). Again, they shipped the wrong one.

I now have a TIG welded stainless Y-Pipe made by Max-Rev Motorsports.

Old 09-13-2000, 11:19 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: You are not alone....

Interesting. Can you give us some details on the CAI and Y from Max-Rev?? Both are custom right? How much are these things costing you?

]Originally posted by Cloud
I also bought a Y-pipe from Stillen. They shipped the wrong unit. It didn't matter though because I would have returned it anyway, the welds looked like turkey **** and the chrome jub must have been done in Shanghai.

I also bought one of their Hi-Flow intakes (which I've since replaced with a cold air intake from Max-Rev Motorsports). Again, they shipped the wrong one.

[/QUOTE]
Old 09-13-2000, 11:39 AM

Re: You are not alone....

What other products does Max-Rev have for the Maxima? They seem to have a really good machine shop. Do you think they will make headers for the Maxima? Maybe they can make me a test pipe.

Originally posted by Cloud

Old 09-13-2000, 11:45 AM
Cloud

Response to ?? on Y-pipe & CAI

RE the prices, it's been a few months since the CAI and even longer for the Y-pipe; I don't remember exactly. Call Max-Rev and ask for Curtis; tell him Cloud sent you. 480-967-8078 That's in Tempe, AZ.

I have pictures of the CAI install if you want them. Your info says you've already done 'air' upgrades. What did you do?

I also had Max-Rev mount some Wilwood SuperLite brakes on the front. I have pics of those also.

Old 09-13-2000, 11:49 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Response to ?? on Y-pipe & CAI

Me? Hard to tell who is answering who w/ this format.

I have a Cattman jet-hot Y rt cat and a JWT cone filter. But am considering making a custom CAI. I would love to see the pics of yours.

RE the prices, it's been a few months since the CAI and even longer for the Y-pipe; I don't remember exactly. Call Max-Rev and ask for Curtis; tell him Cloud sent you. 480-967-8078 That's in Tempe, AZ.

I have pictures of the CAI install if you want them. Your info says you've already done 'air' upgrades. What did you do?

I also had Max-Rev mount some Wilwood SuperLite brakes on the front. I have pics of those also.
Old 09-13-2000, 11:53 AM

Hell freakin yea it's hard to tell who's talkin' to whom..n/m

Originally posted by Jeff92se

I have a Cattman jet-hot Y rt cat and a JWT cone filter. But am considering making a custom CAI. I would love to see the pics of yours.

Old 09-13-2000, 12:03 PM
Cloud

Re: Re: Response to ?? on Y-pipe & CAI

Pics are on the way via email.

Old 09-13-2000, 12:20 PM
I'm needing a caw

Damn! Cloud. Bad-assed brakes->

dude! I have stockers for brakes but playing w/ the idea of 300z brakes. I especially like the way they did the adaptors for the calipers. Looks like it was pricey! You have CAI pics too?? hehe
Old 09-13-2000, 12:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Response to ?? on Y-pipe & CAI

Pics are on the way via email.
Cloud or Jeff92se, you mind posting those suckers here?

TIA

Old 09-13-2000, 12:54 PM

I think Max-Rev is Cattman's fabricator.

They are in AZ so it cattman. Make sense to me. The Y-pipe is cattman's stainless steel. They sell Coilover which sounds like Cattman's. The CAI is new and they only sold two. They are still working on the design. It's probably very simlar to Place Racing CAI. They have a big brake kit. News to me. They might work on the test pipe for me. We'll see. My local fabricator wants $300. He's crazy. It's just a pipe with two flange. I wouldn't pay more than $150.

Old 09-13-2000, 01:01 PM
Cloud

Re: Damn! Cloud. Bad-assed brakes->

The price was right on the brakes Jeff. The pedal feel is soft but the performance is great. I've got some 245x45ZR18 Michelin Pilot Sports and the combination of these tires and those four piston calipers squeezing on those fat rotors will haul it to a stop right now! You want to make sure your passenger is buckled in first. Right after they were installed we did repeated 100>0 stops and caught the pads on fire. It was at night and man did those rotors glow. Never did fade though.

RE the CAI pics, I sent them via email to you.

dude! I have stockers for brakes but playing w/ the idea of 300z brakes. I especially like the way they did the adaptors for the calipers. Looks like it was pricey! You have CAI pics too?? hehe

Old 09-13-2000, 01:11 PM

Jeff. Sent those pictures my way or post the pic please :nm

Old 09-13-2000, 01:12 PM
Cloud

Re: I think Max-Rev is Cattman's fabricator.

You are correct.

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
They are in AZ so it cattman. Make sense to me. The Y-pipe is cattman's stainless steel. They sell Coilover which sounds like Cattman's. The CAI is new and they only sold two. They are still working on the design. It's probably very simlar to Place Racing CAI. They have a big brake kit. News to me. They might work on the test pipe for me. We'll see. My local fabricator wants $300. He's crazy. It's just a pipe with two flange. I wouldn't pay more than $150.

Old 09-13-2000, 01:14 PM
I'm needing a caw

on the way : )

Old 09-13-2000, 02:08 PM

Re: on the way : )

Post the pics here please.. =)

ZuM

Old 09-13-2000, 02:11 PM

I agree with ya. Its mild steel.. Thats what happens to mild steel. And for under 300 dollars.. what do you want??
The pipe works great.. Sounds great.. Good bang for the buck. So what if you get stainless steal and the piece lasts forever.. Personally.. I don't plan on keeping the car that long.. =P

ZuM

Originally posted by Keven97SE
Looks like normal mild steel piping to me. Even humidity will cause a light layer of rust to form.

What did you expect it to look like? You did realize it wasn't going to be stainless, right?

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Rust will eventually form inside/outside anyway. As long as it stays a light, even coat, you really don't have to worry too much about "rotting".
Old 09-13-2000, 02:17 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: on the way : )

I don't have anywhere to host them. Maybe Tony will post them. They do look impressive.

QUOTE]Originally posted by ZuMBLe

ZuM

[/QUOTE]
Old 09-13-2000, 02:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: on the way : )

You can e-mail them to me and I can post them up by a little bit later tonight when I get home.

ZuM

I don't have anywhere to host them. Maybe Tony will post them. They do look impressive.

ZuM

[/QUOTE]
Old 09-13-2000, 02:23 PM
I'm needing a caw

On the way (again!) n/m

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
You can e-mail them to me and I can post them up by a little bit later tonight when I get home.

ZuM

ZuM

[/QUOTE]
Old 09-13-2000, 02:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: on the way : )

Originally posted by ZuMBLe

ZuM
If you wanna send them to me, I'll post em now....

Jeff, Cloud or ZuM.... But please, not all three of you!
LOL
Old 09-13-2000, 04:02 PM

Holy Shiet! How much are the Wilwoods? Hmm.. Wilwoods *holds up on hand* or TTZ brakes with Alcon rotors *holds up other hand*.. Dam those are sweet!!!
Old 09-13-2000, 05:10 PM

Here are the pics....

<a href=http://photos.yahoo.com/lrdrandall>Clicky</a>
Old 09-14-2000, 07:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

reply about Y

mine was a little rusty around the outside welds when i got it over a year ago.now the whole thing is rusty, but it is still ok. next one will be stainless. never rust. the rust is probably from a process that they put it through,dunno. do they check for leaks after they weld the pieces together? how about chromeing process, is that liquid? just a few brilliant thoughts.yea right.
Old 09-14-2000, 07:25 PM

so much beef

so much beef with stillen, and still loyal to them?
I would boycot there buttts but then again i have yet to pay for something stillen made.
Old 09-14-2000, 07:27 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: I have just recently received my y-pipe from stillen

Originally posted by Francis96se
Mine looks like that inside too. There must be an explanation for the rust or rust looking stuff inside. maybe it's part of the manufacturing process. Unfortunately the two pieces of the y-pipe do not even fit together. So stillen said they will have it picked up, but of course, it's still sitting in my living room. they need better focus on the customer because as of this point they are lacking very much in this department. Do your two pieces fit together?

The inside is not protective guys, like the outside. It's gonna look like that. The exhaust will cover it up and you will never notice it. I don't see any problems with it at all. Personally if it fits, use it, cattmans has a major fitment and welding quality problems, I rather not have that and deal with a little moisture causing rust.