General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima Camera Security!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 12:07 PM

Maxima Camera Security!

a few weeks ago my maxima and my dads Jaguar got keyed pretty bad
now just last night someone stole one of my clear corner blinker lights

I think the situation will get worse if i don't put an end to it
I live in one of best nieghborhoods of clifton, New Jersey and there's a few other maxima people around my house its a real good area

well I am thinking of getting a security camera
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14959

like this one on Ebay
but what do i need to record the footage? so when something happens i can watch it? how does it work don't the tapes have to be very long?

thanks guys give any answers you got
Old 04-02-2003, 12:17 PM
Disco Biscuit

You need some time of VCR like the ones used in convenient stores to record for exteneded periods of time
Old 04-02-2003, 12:21 PM

A timelapse VCR would be the best solution. If the camera is compatible with a Video card in a computer, I've seen software that only records to disk when it senses motion on the camera. That might be a route to go as well.

Cost between the two? have no idea...
Old 04-02-2003, 01:13 PM

I say go with a computer dvr solution. 1-4 cameras, the software does the recording and motion detection. You can set it to page or call you when motion is detected. Best thing is get good cameras no matter which way you go. Most cameras can't see for crap during the night, even the ones that say 0 lux. If you want a decent camera spend at least $500.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by 98MaxVancouver
A timelapse VCR would be the best solution. If the camera is compatible with a Video card in a computer, I've seen software that only records to disk when it senses motion on the camera. That might be a route to go as well.

Cost between the two? have no idea...
That's what my friend has. A web cam type camera hooked up to his computer with software that records when it detects pixels moving and obviously stops when no more pixels are moving. The software allows for thresholds (as in, a tree branch slightly moving won't set off my friend's camera because his threshold is set to require more than that amount of pixel movement). However, someone walking will set it off and will record everything. Cool system, works very well. I saw it in action.

I always wanted to have mini cameras (the 1 inch type ones) set up on all four corners of my car from the inside facing out hooked up to a computer hidden somewhere in the car with this type of software running on some rechargeable battery that gets recharged when the car is running. This wouldn't work if the car were to get stolen obviously but it would help (and it would help if you were being abused by cops eheheh). Obviously, I'd have a GPS thingy for when the car is stolen.

I don't have any of this stuff though, I don't know how much it would cost, how doable it would be. It's just stuff I dream about at night. I don't think my Maxima would be worth doing all that (and the fact that I don't live in an area with a lot of crime).
However, if I had a really really nice car, I'd look into it seriously to see what my options would be.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Timelapse VCR's, if my memory serves me correct, cost a lot of money.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:25 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

If you are going to record from your house, pointing at the car, then here's a couple of tips;

- Image quality is if great importance - even more so when you don't know the perp. If you can say "That's Dodgy Mike from down the street" then it'll work out - but if not then the images will just let you watch the guy rip you off.

- The VCR thing is relatively cheap - you can get a VCR for $60 and record 8 hours on a 4hr tape, but do you really want to change tapes 3x a day? You'll not keep up with it I gaurantee you.

- If someone messes with your car and you don't know who it is then the best you'll get is a general height/weight description and possibly a car type. B&W makes it real difficult because you don't see what color clothing/car it was.

- The cops won't launch a manhunt for simple theft of B&E vehicle even if you have a pic of the guy and his car. They'll file it. But YOU can put up posters in all the local stores with a picture of the guy's face (if you see it - camera placement if curcial) and car; "WANTED BY POLICE - Contact VCPD at 555-6969 re: Case 999999"

- If it's possible, then using a capture card or multi-feed time-lapse VCR you should try to get a second camera with a zoom lens to show license plates of vehicles approaching your car. If you park on the street that's probably not a good idea because of privacy concerns, but if there is a driveway that someone has to drive down...

Look into webneteye on ebay. A capture card that replaces the TV and VCR and is a no-tape solution. If you're serious about this, then it's not too bad. $200 for the card, $70 for a camera, and you'll need a dedicated p3 that you can get from a used computer store for $100. Will keep a couple of days of recorded images. Records 1 image per second until it seed motion, then records at max frame rate while there is motion.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:18 PM

thanks guys I apreciate all this help
Old 04-03-2003, 05:43 AM
lcf

I looked into this a while ago. I gave up because it cost too much. I wanted at a minimum of two cameras but ideally four. One camera to record the front, one cam to record the rear. And one for the side and other for the side. I started researching after someone scratched the hell out of my brandspanking new bumpercover. Damned parallel parking.

Whichever way I looked at it, I simply couldn't justify the numbers I was coming up with.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:34 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

My workshop got ripped off to the tune of over $4000. My camera system cost me $500 + an old p3. It was easy to justify that purchase. Next time someone rips me off they'll be watched by more cameras than Princess Di.

I have also toyed with the idea of installing a camera system in my car to capture looking forwards, backwards and two pinhole cameras installed inside the front bumper on each side looking backwards downt he side fo the car (to catch door dingers!) but it's more difficult to justify that cost when you consider that most door dings cost almost nothing to fix, if they are fixed at all. A single camera looking forwards, though, for accident forensics, would be a good investment. If I get in a wreck then I have proof of what actually happened in case I was innocent but the other driver lies to the cops. Single camera, plus DVR card, plus old p3... $300.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

alternatives

Sometimes it's better to try and stop them from doing it to begin with than film them doing it. Maybe consider more lighting in the area around your car or leaving lights on inside the house. Think like a thief to stop a thief (what would scare you off if you were a thief? a mask or hat covers the camera problem if they see it)