General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima owners age 18-30.. step inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 03:10 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Quite simply, it is the best performing 4 door sedan for the money (well, the Altima is in that category as well, but I hate the new Altima and it's shoddy interior). Only thing better would be to get a 6 speed, but my wife is the primary driver of the car (and even she is missing a standard right now).

I just need a convertible to round out my stable...
Old 04-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by Quicksilver
I just need a convertible to round out my stable...
The plan for the wifey and I is...

1) Nice entry luxury car for her (in about 3 years)
2) Top-end non-luxury car for me. (for the forseeable future)
3) Fun drop top for the weekend to get away from it all for both of us.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i gotta 4th gen for a buncha reasons
1 my brother has one and i always liked it
2 plenty of room for all my friends and stuff
3 surprise speed. . .nothin better than flying past someone and seeing them go wtf?
4 and with a little work a max can look pretty bad @ss
Old 04-03-2003, 03:37 PM

I've always had a thing for 4 doors. Weird cause half of my cars have been 3 door hatches.

I got the Max cause I didn't want to pay the high insurance and maint. on a BMW 5 series, and most smaller cars don't have enough headroom for me. (I'm 6'3.5") I'd still prefer a 4-door with RWD and a Manual trans tho. Maybe some day I'll buy that 93 (or newer?) M5 I've always wanted.

Just have to win the lotto.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:58 PM
"I'm running with scissors!"

sorry, kinda long

if you look at everything else that is somwhat affordable, fast looks good, cheap insurance, and has good resale value, the maxima/i30 finishes at the top of every category, in my mind anyway. the only other cars that compare are GTPs, WRXs, and 93-98 mustangs. and they are still more expensive insurance.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:01 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

insurance kills all.

i bought two hand me down max's. the ve was really cool and i liked my 94, but i ran it into the ground (stupid nissan transmissions). Right now, im building up my 98, so i wont break this one. both of them had pretty low mileage when i got them, which was another bonus.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:23 PM
Handsome

I am 26

I had an eclipse which was expensive to fix, and high on insurance.

First and fore most I needed a new car with four doors, and some power, this should sum up why the max fit the bill.
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...article&sid=30

Second huge reason on my list - I was also knee deep in the import scene in the 90's when I had my eclipse, however the import scene had changed drastically since I first got into imports. Now instead of speed it seemed that many people in the import scene were switching to neon, altezzas and big dumb wings, the next car I got HAD TO SEPERATE ME FROM THE BOY RACER(ricer) Thankfully I think this scene is dying.

I also wanted a big car that I could pile a bunch of friends in like an SUV, I am a pretty big guy (not tall) and I like the attitiude of a big car.

Also, Steve I couldn't have said it better myself, I have much more respect for someone who buy's a car because of what it offers rather than it's popularity or name plate. I feel lucky not to have succumbed to buying a more popular import that I fruitlessly throw money at to try and make fast, namely a Highly Overrated and Naturally Disrespected Automobile

The max is the best car I have owned in every aspect
Old 04-03-2003, 04:26 PM
dmontzsta

Originally posted by Lordrandall
I've always had a thing for 4 doors. Weird cause half of my cars have been 3 door hatches.

I got the Max cause I didn't want to pay the high insurance and maint. on a BMW 5 series, and most smaller cars don't have enough headroom for me. (I'm 6'3.5") I'd still prefer a 4-door with RWD and a Manual trans tho. Maybe some day I'll buy that 93 (or newer?) M5 I've always wanted.

Just have to win the lotto.
Silly Soupy Sauce, you forgot to mention that you searched for a 3rd gen Maxima for years before you found one.

Old 04-03-2003, 04:28 PM
dmontzsta

Originally posted by jdmmax

ohhhhhhhhhh ok

well you can have your 3rd gen. have fun with it.

cause you know im having fun with my 4th gen right now.

and we'll just leave it at that as not to hi jack larry's thread with another ve/vq 3rd/4th gen debate which leads to nothing but a bunch of worked up 3rd gen drivers with hurt feelings.
errrrr, wrong.

It leads to a bunch of truth coming out and 4g owners getting angry that their newer car is in the same category, blah blah blah much love frank...

I dont want any of the s/c

Old 04-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Beast Mode!!!

i got mine as a gift for getting a free ride to college, and because my dad didn't want to lose it when he got his new car...

-95SE
Old 04-03-2003, 05:19 PM

I had a '97 3000GT when I was 17, and let me tell you its was PAIN IN THE AZZ to try to fit 3-4 people in that car. (this is not the main reason though)

once my ex drove towards me in her TL, and for some weird odd reason i thought 4 door sedan looks COOL

anyways, when time came to get a new car, there wasn't any good 2 door out anyways, so i chose a sedan (but sometimes i do regret for not getting another coupe/sportscar
Old 04-03-2003, 05:19 PM
CaLSoNiC

Im only 16 and have a $490.40 insurance bill due 4 times a year.
I have a clean record and all whatnot as well.
Eh, I wanted the car because it was fast and has the sleeper look. But what do I know, im only 16.

Old 04-03-2003, 05:55 PM

After liking the looks of the maxima and realizing how much of a beast it is, I really don't see how you can go wrong. You can have a luxurious 4-door car, a 11 sec racer (geeeez), or a fine mix between both. I also got a great deal on my car, and you can't go wrong with a 5-spd, intake, and y-pipe. My wallet knows it's no BMW but sometimes my eyes forget.

-payne-
Old 04-03-2003, 05:56 PM

I dont like small cars that I cant fit anybody in.. and with 4 people in the car it doesn't slow it down... unlike my 626 u would fit 4 people in it and it would take 20 seconds to get from 0-60
love my new v6
Old 04-03-2003, 06:08 PM

I wanted once ever since my neighbor picked up his '97 SE brand new off the lot. I liked the way they looked, and he seemed to like it very much. I started doing some research and stuff and found out that they were pretty fast. Shortly after that, another neighbor picked up a '99 SE and he did a lot of modifications to it. Once I saw a "hooked up" Maxima for the first time, I decided that's what I wanted for my first car.

I love my car. It's comfortable, has plenty of room for 4-5 people, and it's plenty fast stock. I've driven a few of my friends cars (Toyota Celica, Mitsubishi Eclipse, etc.) and all I can say is that it's not my Max.

-Nick
Old 04-03-2003, 06:09 PM

Re: Maxima owners age 18-30.. step inside

Originally posted by Larrio
I've always wondered why young men/women between 18-30 would buy a a four door sedan maxima themselves or have their parents help them out with the payments for a maxima. I mean your still young, probably not married yet with no children. Why not a sports coupe like a prelude, 240sx, integra type r, 300zx, Cl, Cl-S? Why a maxima and not something faster at this young age?

I got mine because I couldn't afford the insurance payments for a sports car/coupe at my age. The maxima was practical, decently fast, reasonable insurance rates, and I can golf with four buddies while my friend in his 330ci can only fit two bags in his trunk.

what your reason?

Insurance, passed down, lots of room for ... lalalal.... , and plainly its a great car.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:13 PM

Wtf? 18 - 30???

Im 17 and i got a pimp car lol, check my homepage , lots of stuff on its way, also i decided on the max b/c i got an awsome deal on it 6k for 60k , it is a ot car, a comfortable car, a fast car, a luxurios car, hey wat else can you want? oh yea back seat can come in handy at times
Old 04-03-2003, 06:18 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

started with a sports car

i started out with a '95 240sx, nice fun car, but it was an auto, so i was more than happy to give it up for my 5-spd 4g its alot faster too, just wish it was rwd it would be even more impressive then. The max bc it is pretty quick, handles well for a FWD car, and is reliable as all hell lol
Old 04-03-2003, 06:47 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally posted by waveridr85
Wtf? 18 - 30???

Im 17 and i got a pimp car lol, check my homepage , lots of stuff on its way, also i decided on the max b/c i got an awsome deal on it 6k for 60k , it is a ot car, a comfortable car, a fast car, a luxurios car, hey wat else can you want? oh yea back seat can come in handy at times
sorry bro and to all others that are under 18. Dunno why, but those were the ages I came up with when I posted the thread. Too late to change it now.

might be the legality of things when you turn 18.. who knows
Old 04-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, at age 20 I had owned an 85 Chevy s-10, a 95 mustang, a 96 Chevy s-10, and a 90 olds 88. All were standards except the olds which my mom gave me and took my 96 s-10 when I moved away for school for a lil while. When I had to move back home, I wanted to buy myself a different car. I loved the power I had in my 96 s-10 with the 4.3L V6 I had in it, but didn't like the fact that I couldn't really fit too many people in it, especially since it was a stick. So I found the Max and I was like, damn, this is a nice looking car. Then they let me drive it around for the day and end of story, I was hooked. I also didn't want anything too expensive with insurance cuz it was the first car I bought all on my own, and had to have my own insurance. I could have gone with a 2 door coupe, but about a month after I bought my Max I had 8 drunk college girls in my car all at once... I never regretted getting a 4 door sedan after that!
Old 04-03-2003, 07:18 PM

well I got one because I'm tall (6'5'') and I simply couldn't fit into the small sports cars, I kept hitting my head.
I also Got an auto.. Is a manual that much better?
Seems to be nothing more than a hassle to me.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:31 PM

i hate hondas. i love nissan period.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by zoggfatha
When i was 16 my parents got me a 5 year old 90 SE. I absolutely loved that car. Ever since then i always wanted a newer one. I just loved the whole car, attitude, look, value, performance, etc. So I bought a 2k2 when i graduated from college and a got a new car.

Like someone else said, I drove my first one and got hooked.
I saw my first one when I got into cars alot and I got hooked. Dude' I love my max so much that if it got into an accident, I'd cry.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:40 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally posted by tecman4
well I got one because I'm tall (6'5'') and I simply couldn't fit into the small sports cars, I kept hitting my head.
I also Got an auto.. Is a manual that much better?
Seems to be nothing more than a hassle to me.
its faster, alot more fun, and u are in control, and there feels like there is more power on tap, thats compared to my bros auto 96 vs my 97 stick
Old 04-03-2003, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider
It was passed on pretty much, and I liked it since new
same reason with me - it was passed on to me.....no insurance payments.... paid for the gas and thats it
Old 04-03-2003, 09:39 PM

I was looking for an Integra or a Prelude. I had never known anyone with a 4th gen maxima and never looked at one. But when I was looking I came across an ad for a 5 spd maxima with decent miles so I did some research with review sites like edmunds and also found this website. When I went to check out the car, I hate to say it cause it sounds really materialistic, but I just fell in love with the car. It had never happened before. Things like lower insurance and being able to carry people when I need to were also pros. Needless to say I would have wanted one from the start if I had had more exposure to maximas. I had 2 friends with identical 3rd generations but they were both automatic and not really that well taken care of. I wanted something newer anyway but just didn't think of it. But being that I was once clueless to the dopeness of maximas I can see how other people who don't really know much about them would wonder why you or I would make that choice.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:00 PM

The max just fit me. Big guys look dumb in little cars too. I'm just a nissan fan, and the maxima has a been a favorite of mine for a very long time.
Kevin.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:02 PM

it was my brother's car and it was passed down to me after he graduated.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:19 PM

I had a 88 V6 Camry that was too boring for me. . . Decided that I still wanted a sedan because I liked having the extra room for people if I needed it, and that I wanted a Manual tranny as well as a V6. For the money I had at the time, the Maxima was my best option in terms of how fun it is to drive and just how well it suits me. Yes it is a 4 door grocery getter in most people's minds, but I get comments and asked about it at least once a month. You would be surprised how many people try to rent it when it is parked at my work.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:27 PM
Custom User Title...

i needed a new one cuz my other car sucked...so when i went to a stealership( yeah i got raped in price but forget about that)he said maxima and it caught my attention. my friend's dad's maxima finally blew it's tranny after 230k, and that was his only major problem ever! so i knew they were good cars, and had always liked the styling. took it for a test drive and realized i wanted it. started modding and found the org a month or so later. been in love with it/them ever since.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:30 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Well the only criteria for my next car was it had to be a stick. I had to have stick because my previous ride was a automatic Tacoma that got worked by a Ford Taurs wagaon filled up with people. After that incident, I knew the truck had to go. So I went looking at cars. At first, I wanted the 2k3 altima but after seeing it's interior, it turned me off. Then my next choice was a RSX type S but I knew everybody would have that car so I marked that off the list, then I checked the 2k2 maxima and I fell in love with that thing. However my insurance would be high to cover for it so I decided to buy use and to my luck, I found a low milage 4th gen maxima and that's how I got here.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:35 AM
no more maxima...

My friends ask me why I am getting a 4 door family sedan when I am only 20....my reasons are the following:
1) VQ engine
2) looks nice after some mods
3) a pretty original choice in my side of town
4) backseat for the nights her parents are home
Old 04-04-2003, 01:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i'm a touring car fanatic so i love high performance 4 door sedans, the 4th gen is reliable, powerfull, has plenty of room, and i've always loved the looks, plus, it's a very good car to play with untill i can earn enough to but my dream car, a 2000 Audi S4.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:09 AM

i didnt have a car till i was 18 and i was tired of tryin to fit in the back of little cars...im not huge at 6', but i still just like a four door car...much easier to deal w/, plus im lazy, and having to roll back a seat just once annoys me...so im getting a four dorr car...

all american cars suck...every1 and their mother has a honda, and toyotas are 2 expensive and i just dont like them...then i started looking at nissan, couldnt afford anything newish, and went w/ the maxima...thank god for bad resale ill prolly get another max when i get outa college 2...bet those 2002-3 will b cheap by then
Old 04-04-2003, 04:53 AM

Here's why

1. I love (good looking) sedans
2. I like roomy cars
3. the Maxima is semi-lux
4. the Maxima is fast!

Old 04-04-2003, 05:11 AM
Jedi Knight

my first car was a Nissan Pathfinder, and my parents decided to move so my commute was going to be longer...at that point I decided that I wanted a car with the same engine...so hence the maxima, but it was also recommended by my uncle. I bought my 3rd gen...passed it on to my sister and got my 4th gen in December...

my 3rd gen I got with 78k miles, its now got 156k and still runs beautifully!
Old 04-04-2003, 05:33 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Because

1) 4-doors are more practical
2) Max has unusual styling (mine is 01)
3) Pretty much the only "non-yuppie" 4 door w/ standard
4) Fast enough with good options

When I want to "go fast" I hop on my motorcycle and make everyone follow me!
Old 04-04-2003, 05:38 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by Street Reeper
I feel lucky not to have succumbed to buying a more popular import that I fruitlessly throw money at to try and make fast, namely a Highly Overrated and Naturally Disrespected Automobile
That's a good one.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:50 AM
Zog

One more reason:

Me and 5 people pile into my car to go to a party a couple weeks ago. I had been drinking so i let my buddy drive.

With 6 people in the car he looked over at me on the interstate and said, "It's hard to go slow in this car!".

That sums it up for me.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by zoggfatha
One more reason:

Me and 5 people pile into my car to go to a party a couple weeks ago. I had been drinking so i let my buddy drive.

With 6 people in the car he looked over at me on the interstate and said, "It's hard to go slow in this car!".

That sums it up for me.

Quick Reply: Maxima owners age 18-30.. step inside