General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Gauge Cluster Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Gauge Cluster Questions...

Upon installing my new indiglow gauges, I had to remove the factory gauge faces (yes I had to). Well when I was all done and plugged it in, only my speedo was working correctly. After a little more driving my Tach was working pretty well. My Temp and Fuel gauges are not working however, and I'm sure it's not the needle getting stuck on the gauge. Hence I am assuming the actual potentiometers are messed up. My questions are:

1. Is there any way to fix the needles? Will tampering with them more increase their chances or working?
2. If I swap in a new cluster, will I be able to put my odometer in? Will my car have a salvage title?
Thanks,
-Cyrus
Old 04-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Gauge Cluster Questions...

Originally posted by Vyrus
Upon installing my new indiglow gauges, I had to remove the factory gauge faces (yes I had to). Well when I was all done and plugged it in, only my speedo was working correctly. After a little more driving my Tach was working pretty well. My Temp and Fuel gauges are not working however, and I'm sure it's not the needle getting stuck on the gauge. Hence I am assuming the actual potentiometers are messed up. My questions are:

1. Is there any way to fix the needles? Will tampering with them more increase their chances or working?
2. If I swap in a new cluster, will I be able to put my odometer in? Will my car have a salvage title?
Thanks,
-Cyrus
Cy:

I tis hard to damage the heedle housing unless you jam the needle in after removal. Best thing I have found to do if to plug in the cluster with the cluster sitting on the steering wheel.

Adjustments can be made manually until you get the needle in the pre install position.

D