General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Cattman Coilovers ....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2001, 11:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Further 2 the discussion that's been going on in Maxima.org ... question about coilovers ...

If the setup with Tokico or Koni's with Eibach, Sprints, H & R's or Apex is considered 2 b harsh ....

what would the ride with the Cattman be like? No doubt ... when we have the car lowered 4 loox it'll b pretty ruff ... but if we have the car jacked up again ... does the ride come close 2 being stock again?

I'm trying 2 determine ...

1. Should I buy the Tokico's that are available 4 the 5th Generation ...

2. Should I wait 4 Koni's which are adjustable ...

3. Should I buy Eibach? H & R? Sprints? ... or ...

4. Should I fork out the $$$ & buy Catmans new coilover?

I30Cefiro ... can u comment?
Old 01-17-2001, 11:32 AM

I rode in I30Krab w/ the Cattman set-up and the ride was great! I don't know how low he had it running, but it was not bad at all, not jarring or rough, just nice and controlled.
Old 01-17-2001, 11:46 AM

Damn ... that means I'm going 2 b broke!!!

Originally posted by Lordrandall
I rode in I30Krab w/ the Cattman set-up and the ride was great! I don't know how low he had it running, but it was not bad at all, not jarring or rough, just nice and controlled.
Old 01-17-2001, 12:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

r u sure they have cattman coilovers for the 5th gen already?? im assuming that you have a 2000 or 2001.. don't remember if he has a set avalible for the 5th gens yet.. otherwise they ride real well on mine.. but its not a 5th so can't reall help ya there
Old 01-17-2001, 12:58 PM

I couldn't tell you to wait for the koni's because I wouldn't know how they ride. In my opinion, the tokico's don't even compare to the Cattman coilovers. One because you are able to acjust the ride height with the Cattmans, two you are able to choose from three different spring rates, and three you are able to adjust the ride quality on the Cattman's. The money is pretty steep for the Cattman's but when you are driving with them on, you'll know the big difference between getting springs/tokico's and Cattman's. I've had Tokico's with Eibachs before and I was 300% more satisfied with the Cattman's.
Old 01-17-2001, 03:44 PM

I30CeFiRo

Tkx 4 your input ... when did u get your coilovers & what'd they cost back then ... also ... how much should I expect 2 pay 4 installation ... i.e. how many hours?

Tkx

Originally posted by I30CeFiRo
I couldn't tell you to wait for the koni's because I wouldn't know how they ride. In my opinion, the tokico's don't even compare to the Cattman coilovers. One because you are able to acjust the ride height with the Cattmans, two you are able to choose from three different spring rates, and three you are able to adjust the ride quality on the Cattman's. The money is pretty steep for the Cattman's but when you are driving with them on, you'll know the big difference between getting springs/tokico's and Cattman's. I've had Tokico's with Eibachs before and I was 300% more satisfied with the Cattman's.
Old 01-17-2001, 04:41 PM

Re: I30CeFiRo

I bought my Cattman's more than a year ago, it costed around $1500. I heard that Cattman is going to come out with a second generation coilover set. It's supposed to have a better ride... but supposed to have a higher price tag. Correct me if I'm wrong because I may be wrong though. If you know your basic suspension system, it'll take maybe an hour or so to install them. Usually if you are a first timer installing a new suspension, allwo yourself more time because you do not want to rush anything. If you are planning to have a shop install the coilovers for you, expect maybe to pay for 2 hours of work since the shop wont be familiar to the instal. It all depends on the shop's experience with installing maxima suspension and coilovers. Hope this answers some of your questions
Old 01-17-2001, 07:17 PM

Re: Re: I30CeFiRo

I bought my Cattman's more than a year ago, it costed around $1500. I heard that Cattman is going to come out with a second generation coilover set. It's supposed to have a better ride... but supposed to have a higher price tag. Correct me if I'm wrong because I may be wrong though. If you know your basic suspension system, it'll take maybe an hour or so to install them. Usually if you are a first timer installing a new suspension, allwo yourself more time because you do not want to rush anything. If you are planning to have a shop install the coilovers for you, expect maybe to pay for 2 hours of work since the shop wont be familiar to the instal. It all depends on the shop's experience with installing maxima suspension and coilovers. Hope this answers some of your questions
I think you're a bit off there.. If you've never touched a suspension before and have no mechanical skills, you're looking at probably 8 hours. If you haven't worked on suspensions but know your way around a car, maybe 5-6. If you've replaced your suspension and installed coilovers before, you can probably do it in 3 hours. 1 hour, maybe if you had 3 helpers and you got lucky on getting it level... It took me about 2 hours just to level it. By the time you get to that point you're so damn tired, and you have to crank one wheel up, adjust the height, lower it down, measure, go do another wheel, adjust height, measure, etc. Every time you change one wheel the others all change in height... It's a pain, an electric lift might be a good investment
Old 01-17-2001, 07:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: I30CeFiRo

He asked me how long it took to put on not adjust. And it doesn't take that long to adjust anyways, maybe you're just to slow or something
Old 01-17-2001, 08:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I30CeFiRo

oooh .. b nice 2 each other .. lol

He asked me how long it took to put on not adjust. And it doesn't take that long to adjust anyways, maybe you're just to slow or something
Old 01-18-2001, 01:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I30CeFiRo

I am slow, u r my hero!

You said "it'll take maybe an hour or so to install them". Installation includes adjusting. If you can install all 4 coilovers by yourself in an hour, call me impressed. I'll pay you to come take mine off when my lease is up....
Old 01-18-2001, 02:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I30CeFiRo

Aight cool...just a reminder that professional shops have air tools and car lifts, stuff like that. That's why its faster, not tryin to be smart or anything man, cool down
Old 01-18-2001, 02:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I30CeFiRo

Aight cool...just a reminder that professional shops have air tools and car lifts, stuff like that. That's why its faster, not tryin to be smart or anything man, cool down, just answerin the dudes question