General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Ground Control Coil Overs

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2000, 06:29 AM

I'm thinking about a set of Ground Control coil overs for my 97 SE. First off, I'm a newbie at coil overs, what is and is not adjustable on these? What should I look for? Also, what is the difference between the GC and the Cattman coil overs? How do you select the correct "spring rate" and stuff like that?
Old 09-13-2000, 12:31 PM

The Cattman system inclues eveything you need to install including KYB-AGX adjustable shox. The GC setup does not include shox.
Old 09-13-2000, 12:42 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

The GC is going to be more work ->

First you need to get better struts. Right now Koni is the only logical choice with GC. Next year, KYB/AGX will be even better. The rears are really easy. You slip the adjustable collar on the strut, put the spring on, the top piece and bolt it right up. The fronts are going to be really tricky. You will have to reuse the OEM strut case. This involve drilling and cutting. Not only that. If you want to lower the front as much as possible. You need to cut off the OEM stock perch. Weld a ring around it for the adjustable collar to set on. You don't have to, but I got the rings. Anyway, I still have my GC brand new in the box. I still wonder if I should do it. I might end up getting Sprint Springs. Give me few more weeks to think about it and maybe by then. I will sell you the GC. I believe GC is $399. I was in a group deal for these. You can just pay me what I paid.

Originally posted by ericdwong
I'm thinking about a set of Ground Control coil overs for my 97 SE. First off, I'm a newbie at coil overs, what is and is not adjustable on these? What should I look for? Also, what is the difference between the GC and the Cattman coil overs? How do you select the correct "spring rate" and stuff like that?
Old 09-13-2000, 12:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The cattman set is complete with everything you'll need to set up a nice coilover system. It's also about $1000 more. The problem with the GC system is that it doesn't come with shocks so basically you have to choose between the lesser of two evils, Tokico or Koni (if you can find them and even if you can they require alot of work to make them fit). If you know how to do the work or can get someone to do the work maybe you can go GC but if you have the money I would go Cattman.

Again, maybe someone who actually has the GC coilvers can give you more info.

Chris