General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Did I do any damage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Lives in a 350Z

Did I do any damage?

This is kind of a goof question.

I was driving today and I had my hand on the shifter (automatic) I don't know what came over me but, my hand leaned into the shifter, shifting it to Reverse while it was rolling then car shut off I had to come to a complete stop put it in park then start it up.. everything feels fine.. i was just curious if i did something.

me >
Old 04-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Administrator

i did this in my geo prism.. you are ok, don't worry
Old 04-16-2003, 12:28 PM

I thought you had to hit the button to go to reverse?
Old 04-16-2003, 12:34 PM
Lives in a 350Z

yea i think my shift lock is all ****ed up.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by maximumsport
Thats always good
Old 04-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I did a similar thing once. I was in reverse and put it in drive a little too early i think and the car just shut off. I think its a safety feature. Car has been fine ever since. Dont worry about it.

-Steve
Old 04-16-2003, 01:53 PM
Cheesing away...

That happend to me in my old camry. It still runs fine. I doubt there will be a problem.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How do you put it into reverse if you're driving? Especially if you accidentally just push it up?

Like Luke said, you have to push the button in to put it into reverse.

I remember because I was sitting in traffic once, foot on the brake, hand on the shifter, in drive. My ex-gf was reaching for the radio or something and pushed my hand and the shifter moved into neutral but didn't go into reverse.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:07 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by clee130
How do you put it into reverse if you're driving? Especially if you accidentally just push it up?
You can do it. I accidently did it in mine. It was a stupid reaction to a near miss accident. I shoved the damn thing in park. I was so but my tranny has been fine. Except for the TSB issue, but a lot of 2k and 2k1's have that.

Thank God they make our automatics pretty much idiot proof.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:23 PM

That's what u get for driving automatic!
Old 04-16-2003, 03:25 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by PearlRalizinG2k
Old 04-16-2003, 06:20 PM

Many of us have done that at one time or another. Don't worry about it.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:21 PM
Banned

You should be fine. The auto is not like a manual, where you're moving physical parts. The computer noticed what you did, and instead of engaging R, it turned off to prevent such a thing--safety feature basically.

No harm to the car.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by PearlRalizinG2k
Its not like downshifting into 2nd at 100MPH
Old 04-16-2003, 08:13 PM
Lives in a 350Z

Originally posted by vito1281
You should be fine. The auto is not like a manual, where you're moving physical parts. The computer noticed what you did, and instead of engaging R, it turned off to prevent such a thing--safety feature basically.

No harm to the car.
phewwwwwwww!

thanks guys for your positive feedback i feel so much better. Vito that does make sense.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by maximumsport
There's a little thingy magigy near the shifter that says shift lock. You need to pop it open with a flat head and something to. I don't really know what it's for thought. Just thought I'd mention that.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:46 PM
GoldenGlory

Originally posted by gtr_rider

Its not like downshifting into 2nd at 100MPH

Old 04-16-2003, 11:18 PM
Maxima91

i did it in my uncles ford f150, i was about to make a turn and hit the gear when changing the radio, it made a funny noise and the steering wheel locked up ? i almost hit the damn sidewalk, why did it lock up the steering wheel? anyone?

Old 04-16-2003, 11:37 PM

I remember because I was sitting in traffic once, foot on the brake, hand on the shifter, in drive. My ex-gf was reaching for the radio or something and pushed my hand and the shifter moved into neutral but didn't go into reverse.
hahaha. This reminded me of when something similar happened to me. I was in the back seat of my friends Pathfinder coming back on 81 from spending a weekend partying at Virginia Tech. My friend was driving and another friend was up front in the passenger seat. We saw this car with 5 girls in it and they seemed pretty hot so my friend pulls up on their left and me and my friend up front give them a double moon.

Now we used to do this all then speed past and be on our way. This time however my friend accidently hit the gear shifter when he sat back down, knocking it into neutral. So when my other friend gives it gas to go we just hear it rev really high and nothing happens. It had happened so fast we didn't realize that it was in neutral right away and thought the car had just somehow gotten really ****ed up all of a sudden. So they stay beside us and just give us this nasty look and we finally figure it out and put it back in drive but just then we hit congestion and had to crawl along 81 for like an hour with those girls right beside us giving us nasty looks. It was pretty funny though. Ahhh the crazy days of ones youth.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:59 PM

Retard

Nah you didn't do any damage the car will perform the same. It is a safety feature that engages the car to shut off to prevent stripping of the tranny, etc. Dont worry be happy.

Old 04-17-2003, 12:04 AM

Retard pt 2

Were you pretending it was manual again sir?

We still boys hahaha!
Old 04-17-2003, 05:24 AM

Originally posted by Sorgasm

hahaha. This reminded me of when something similar happened to me. I was in the back seat of my friends Pathfinder coming back on 81 from spending a weekend partying at Virginia Tech. My friend was driving and another friend was up front in the passenger seat. We saw this car with 5 girls in it and they seemed pretty hot so my friend pulls up on their left and me and my friend up front give them a double moon.

Now we used to do this all then speed past and be on our way. This time however my friend accidently hit the gear shifter when he sat back down, knocking it into neutral. So when my other friend gives it gas to go we just hear it rev really high and nothing happens. It had happened so fast we didn't realize that it was in neutral right away and thought the car had just somehow gotten really ****ed up all of a sudden. So they stay beside us and just give us this nasty look and we finally figure it out and put it back in drive but just then we hit congestion and had to crawl along 81 for like an hour with those girls right beside us giving us nasty looks. It was pretty funny though. Ahhh the crazy days of ones youth.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:48 AM

Oh yeah?
I was just messing around with one of my friends trying to get in the car while in a parking lot, and rolling away from him as he reached for the door handle. All of a sudden she throws the car in park and there's a huge jolt and the tires screech and everything shuts off. I went from about 15 mph to 0 in half a second. Boy was I ****ed... I proceeded to educate her about cars in a very vocal fashion involving many expletives.

I was totally freaked out, but apparently, it was ok after that. Although I can't imagine it having been very good for the tranny.

Old 04-17-2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by Maxima91
i did it in my uncles ford f150, i was about to make a turn and hit the gear when changing the radio, it made a funny noise and the steering wheel locked up ? i almost hit the damn sidewalk, why did it lock up the steering wheel? anyone?
The power steering pump shuts off with the engine maybe?
Old 04-17-2003, 05:06 PM

This happend to my old 3rd gen, stupid friend of mine figured it would be funny to pop it in neutral while I was driving and pushed the button ans suddenly its in reverse and the car was off. I didnt really have any sudden reaction to this. I just pulled to the side, put the car it park, shut the key off, gave the idiot the backhand from hell, started it up and kept rollin. Everything was fine (except for his face for a few days )
Old 04-17-2003, 06:08 PM

That happened to me while driving my mom's 78 Toyota Corona. I skipped school that day. While leaving the blockbuster parking lot, the brakes failed. I mean no pedal pressure whatsoever. I could not leave the car in the blockbuster parking lot, I would have gotten caught, so I drove it home at 5mph and whenever I had to stop, I would throw it into reverse and the gears would grind really hard. I ended up following one of those tractors all the way home. Looked like a loser but hey, I got home safe.