General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Camber bolts???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 03:41 PM

Camber bolts???

I just got my camber bolts. How do you install these things?
Old 04-22-2003, 03:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Firestone will install them for $72. I don't believe you can install them youself unless you have an alignment machine lying around your garage. Just curious, where did you get them from?
Thanks,
-Cyrus
Old 04-22-2003, 03:57 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally posted by Vyrus
Firestone will install them for $72. I don't believe you can install them youself unless you have an alignment machine lying around your garage. Just curious, where did you get them from?
Thanks,
-Cyrus
Sure you can install them yourself. Them being perfectly in spec afterwards is of small concern if you're slammed and eating through tires. lol

I'm lowered 1.75" and installed mine the other day (I just lined em up for the highest degree of positive adjustment). Good enough for me for the time being.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:10 PM

Thanks,
-Cyrus
got them here
http://store.yahoo.com/southwestauto...ibadcambo.html
Old 04-22-2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by James92SE

Sure you can install them yourself. Them being perfectly in spec afterwards is of small concern if you're slammed and eating through tires. lol

I'm lowered 1.75" and installed mine the other day (I just lined em up for the highest degree of positive adjustment). Good enough for me for the time being.
could you tell me how you did it?
Old 04-22-2003, 04:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by eaglclon

got them here
http://store.yahoo.com/southwestauto...ibadcambo.html
Me too.. about how long did it take you to get yours?
Thanks,
-Cyrus
Old 04-22-2003, 04:42 PM

Me too.. about how long did it take you to get yours?
Thanks,
-Cyrus
4 days
Old 04-22-2003, 05:11 PM

I'm not sure how exactly the Eibachs because I have the Specialty Products bolts but I assume they'd all work the same.

The bolt itself is thinner than stock...and has a nipple sticking halfway out in the middle of the bolt and on one end it's got a washer with a tab that spins...you turn the tab to adjust it. The washer also has a tab that sits inside the bolt hole through the strut/knuckle. Turning the tab adjusts the camber by letting the knuckle either sit closer towards outside the car or closer toward the strut thus adjusting camber.

Basically the same effect as if you ovaled out your upper hole on the strut and adjusted where the knuckle lined up with the upper hole.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:04 PM

Actually depending on your drop, you may not even need them. I have Tien springs so I'm lowered 2.2 in the front. I went to NTB and got an alignment and I didn't even need the camber bolts.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Keh mon
Actually depending on your drop, you may not even need them. I have Tien springs so I'm lowered 2.2 in the front. I went to NTB and got an alignment and I didn't even need the camber bolts.
Well 5th gens may (or may not I dunno) have some adjustment from the factory on camber. 3rd gens definitely dont...

I'd find it hard to believe that you didnt have negative camber with over a 2 inch drop, so if you didnt need a kit NTB probably just got it in spec using stock stuff (if it's got some leeway for adjustment from Nissan).

However, 'in spec' doesnt always mean you're good to go. There's tons of cars out there that are technically in spec that are roasting tires.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:28 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Basically the same effect as if you ovaled out your upper hole on the strut and adjusted where the knuckle lined up with the upper hole.

With a dremmel tool you can make your car's camber adjustable that way. There's actually no need for camber bolts if you use some clever thinking. Just alert the alignment shop that you've made the change and they can set your cars camber to spec for you.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:07 AM

Well 5th gens may (or may not I dunno) have some adjustment from the factory on camber. 3rd gens definitely dont...

I'd find it hard to believe that you didnt have negative camber with over a 2 inch drop, so if you didnt need a kit NTB probably just got it in spec using stock stuff (if it's got some leeway for adjustment from Nissan).

However, 'in spec' doesnt always mean you're good to go. There's tons of cars out there that are technically in spec that are roasting tires.

Camber -0.5
Caster 2.4
Toe 0.04

The Specified range for camber is -1.0 0.5

That's the right side, the other side is the same...
My rear camber is worse.... it's -1.2 and the Specified range is -1.8 -0.3

I didn't think the camber was adjustable at all on the 5th gens