General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Test Pipe is a go->

Old 09-13-2000, 02:45 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Got off the phone with people at Max Rev. Very nice people to deal with. Great prices too. Anyway, I'm shipping my stock cat to them so they can do a prototype test/straight pipe. All stainless steel and for $40. I will make an appointment with my local dyno shop to test the pipe. I will do a RT cat vs. test pipe dyno comparison. I'm not sure if I will able to do a stock cat vs. test pipe. This only for Maxima that doesn't have a O2 sensor on the cat or after the cat. 1999 Cali-spec and maybe all 2000 Maxima.

[Edited by 1MAX2NV on 09-13-2000 at 05:00 PM]
Old 09-13-2000, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Got off the phone with people at Max Rev. Very nice people to deal with. Great prices too. Anyway, I'm shipping my stock cat to them so they can do a prototype test/straight pipe. All stainless steel and for $40. I will make an appointment with my local dyno shop to test the pipe. I will do a RT cat vs. test pipe dyno comparison. I'm not sure if I will able to do a stock cat vs. test pipe. This only for Maxima that doesn't have a O2 sensor on the cat or after the cat. 1999 Cali-spec and maybe all 2000 Maxima.

I'd be VERY interested in a) the stock vs. RT Cat dyno comparision, b) buying the straight pipe if it keeps noise under control and does generate some additional power. What's the time frame for all of this??

Old 09-13-2000, 05:39 PM

Stock cat vs RT cat

You will gain around 6hp and 17ft-lbs or torque

See my <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jgadlage/dyno.html">dyno results</A> on my website.
Old 09-13-2000, 09:07 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

you can gain like 20hp from a straight pipe on a turbo car. Plus you can shoot flames when you shift....heehhee
Old 09-13-2000, 09:49 PM

Booker, I don't know if the straight pipe is going to work with your car. Does it have an O2 sensor on the cat or after the cat. Only reason I'm trying th straight pipe because I don't have a O2 sensor after the cat. The ECU will have no idea. No check engine light.

Originally posted by Booker
Originally posted by 1MAX2NV

I'd be VERY interested in a) the stock vs. RT Cat dyno comparision, b) buying the straight pipe if it keeps noise under control and does generate some additional power. What's the time frame for all of this??
Old 09-13-2000, 09:56 PM

Darn!

96 = O2 sensor. Rats!
You older car discriminate'n HATER

!!

Old 09-13-2000, 10:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For those people that want to get a straight pipe but have an O2 sensor behind the cat, you can just take out the rear 02 sensor, zip tie it somewhere, and plug the hole. I talked to a mechanic at Courtesy Nissan today because i gutted my cat and that set off the SES light. He said the ECU only checks the if the rear O2 sensor doesn't have enough clean air going through it, but there is no top end - meaning if you just zip tie it somewhere outside the exhaust pipe, it won't read too much oxygen and therefore won't set off the SES light.
Old 09-14-2000, 07:14 AM

Good Info sx7r. I'll try to remember that one. :nm

Originally posted by sx7r
For those people that want to get a straight pipe but have an O2 sensor behind the cat, you can just take out the rear 02 sensor, zip tie it somewhere, and plug the hole. I talked to a mechanic at Courtesy Nissan today because i gutted my cat and that set off the SES light. He said the ECU only checks the if the rear O2 sensor doesn't have enough clean air going through it, but there is no top end - meaning if you just zip tie it somewhere outside the exhaust pipe, it won't read too much oxygen and therefore won't set off the SES light.
Old 09-14-2000, 08:07 AM

just take out the rear 02 sensor,...

zip tie it somewhere, and plug the hole.

Not that I claim to be an expert on Nissan's OBDII design, but what you were told is not true. The comp doesn't just check to see if the trailing O2 sensor reads "clean". It directly compares the two readings off of both O2 sensors and has a good idea of what the rear sensor should be reading.

Example: at part throttle, a leaner mix is used, the front O2 sensor 'confirms' this and helps in the fine adjustment of fuel trim. The rear sensor reads the exhaust as pretty clean (cat in good order). All is well.

At WOT, ECU follows a set fueling/spark parameter (read: rich) and again the 1st sensor confirms. But the ecu expects the rear sensor to read accordingly to the 'dirtier' exhaust discharge. If you're sensor is just dangling, it flags as a WTF?? Why is the rear still so clean??

Guys have tried this on DSMs. For some of the earlier OBDII years, it worked. And that's because OBDII software wasn't as advanced as it is now. But for most who tried this, the dummy light came on.

Now, you're trying this on a '99. Nissan has had 4 years to sort out their OBDII system. Yours will flag if you use the straight pipe. Also, you HAVE to have a post cat sensor. This is a requirement of OBDII. Look closer.
Old 09-14-2000, 08:51 AM

I thought about this a while ago...

Here in Lousyana they arent exactly tight with inspections, so I thought WTF lets remove the CAT. I have heard that putting in a straight pipe will cause a loss of bottom end power. That would effect drive abality. So I did not persue it.

However in talking to SGP, they told me that you can try to put the rear O2 sensor two inches further back. It will run slightly cooler and may not trip a light.
Old 09-14-2000, 09:25 AM

Straight pipe

Ive got one.. it was used on a friends maxima, custom made with flanges and everything. :>

I dont use it tho, i dont wanna be swappin in and out just to do smog checks, im stickin with the rt cat i have

i can take pics of it if any of you want it. i dont care much for it, ill never use it (unless i get another car) :>

Old 09-14-2000, 12:41 PM

Re: Straight pipe

Originally posted by OgreDave
Ive got one.. it was used on a friends maxima, custom made with flanges and everything. :>

I dont use it tho, i dont wanna be swappin in and out just to do smog checks, im stickin with the rt cat i have

i can take pics of it if any of you want it. i dont care much for it, ill never use it (unless i get another car) :>

Hey Ogre are you in Texas?? I was thinking about that straight thru I had made. I sold it and was wondering if you were gonna use I'd like to buy it back. if your not in Harris county you don't have to do emmision yet.
Old 09-14-2000, 03:31 PM

nevermind all the technicalities... we'll just see if my SES light comes on again.
Old 09-14-2000, 08:59 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

A "Test Pipe" won't work....

because you've got a rear O2 sensor. It is located on the extension piece between the cat and B-pipe. Every car with OBDII+ has one after the cat somewhere. The reason the pipe won't work is because once you remove this O2 sensor and "tie" it off somewhere, it's gonna throw your car into a "limp" mode and the car will go into a preset ECU program that will limit emissions and performance. The reason it does this is because the ECU believes you've got an O2 problem.

If you really do decide to try the test pipe, it shouldn't cost more than $50. I paid $20 for a 6" extension pipe between the cat and Courtesy B-pipe. The shop made it in 5 minutes out of aluminzed steel, cast iron adjustable flanges, and gaskets were included. You'd be crazy to pay more than $50 for a 1 foot 2.5" pipe with flanges.

Dave
Old 09-15-2000, 06:39 AM

I don't know what you refer to as a test pipe but I had a pipe replacing my cat and hole drilled in the same place where the O2 sensor goes and the guy found a nut that would screw on the thread of the O2 sensor. Once he found the right nut he welded it to the pipe and screwed in the O2 sensor. Never saw a check engine light and it ran great.
In fact just for kicks I wanted to see if it would pass an emission test and it did. I have a shop and we do emmision testing and it passed w/ flying colors. Now this was back in 96 when the car was new so who knows now but I just got another engine so it might not make a diff. Oh I paid $100 back then but no one would do it except this muffler shop where I knew the guy. Maybe I got suckered but it didn't break me. Oh and the flanges were off a mustang 5.0 I guess of a 96 who know's.
Old 09-15-2000, 06:57 AM

Dave,

My car doesn't have an O2 sensor behind the cat. This is true for all 1999 Cali-spec and maybe all 2000. I haven't confirm about the 2000 since all the 2000 in my area are all Cali-spec. Test Pipe will not trip the check engine light =)

Originally posted by Dave B
because you've got a rear O2 sensor. It is located on the extension piece between the cat and B-pipe. Every car with OBDII+ has one after the cat somewhere. The reason the pipe won't work is because once you remove this O2 sensor and "tie" it off somewhere, it's gonna throw your car into a "limp" mode and the car will go into a preset ECU program that will limit emissions and performance. The reason it does this is because the ECU believes you've got an O2 problem.

If you really do decide to try the test pipe, it shouldn't cost more than $50. I paid $20 for a 6" extension pipe between the cat and Courtesy B-pipe. The shop made it in 5 minutes out of aluminzed steel, cast iron adjustable flanges, and gaskets were included. You'd be crazy to pay more than $50 for a 1 foot 2.5" pipe with flanges.

Dave
Old 09-15-2000, 07:04 AM

Re: Darn!

Originally posted by Booker

96 = O2 sensor. Rats!
You older car discriminate'n HATER

!!
Hey Booker I have a 96 and I had a strait pipe thru. read my earlier post I said on their how I had it done. Worked fine for me.
Old 09-15-2000, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Uncle Max
I don't know what you refer to as a test pipe but I had a pipe replacing my cat and hole drilled in the same place where the O2 sensor goes and the guy found a nut that would screw on the thread of the O2 sensor. Once he found the right nut he welded it to the pipe and screwed in the O2 sensor. Never saw a check engine light and it ran great.
In fact just for kicks I wanted to see if it would pass an emission test and it did. I have a shop and we do emmision testing and it passed w/ flying colors. Now this was back in 96 when the car was new so who knows now but I just got another engine so it might not make a diff. Oh I paid $100 back then but no one would do it except this muffler shop where I knew the guy. Maybe I got suckered but it didn't break me. Oh and the flanges were off a mustang 5.0 I guess of a 96 who know's.
So Alex,
What kind of performance gains did you see? Did you lose low end torque? I would expect so. How much louder was the car? What shop was this? Wanna hook me up?
BTW, my new y-pipe is coming in...maybe you can help me install it?
Old 09-15-2000, 10:53 AM

Hey Francis! Well it seem to pull pretty good thruout the rpm bandwith I also had an exhaust installed at the same time. So it's hard to say how much was gained. I got it done at Meineki or however you spell that. On Bellaire and Daity Ashford, but the guys probably aren't even ther anymore since, I did it in 96. They also made take the cat out to my car in a bag so they wouldn't get busted.
Any who if I get it back I'll see how good it works cuz my car is back to stock and I could probably tell how good it really worked.
Old 09-15-2000, 11:09 AM

Hey Francis! Well it seem to pull pretty good thruout the rpm bandwith I also had an exhaust installed at the same time. So it's hard to say how much was gained. I got it done at Meineki or however you spell that. On Bellaire and Daity Ashford, but the guys probably aren't even ther anymore since, I did it in 96. They also made take the cat out to my car in a bag so they wouldn't get busted.
Any who if I get it back I'll see how good it works cuz my car is back to stock and I could probably tell how good it really worked.
That's the one close to Hocus Pocus, right?

Hey..i went to that shop to get my piping from the cat back done. They do kind of run a "shady" business.
Old 09-15-2000, 11:25 AM

Yup that's them. Osaka, Endless, Hoki Poki, take or took thier cars their at one point. so I knew they would hook you up if the price was right. I think Mighty Muffler on Bissonet myt hook you up as well I heard they do good work.
They work w/ alot of imports and don't leave you muffler hanging half way out past your bumber like some shops that don't do import exhausts.
Old 09-15-2000, 03:51 PM

Re: Re: Straight pipe

Hey Ogre are you in Texas?? I was thinking about that straight thru I had made. I sold it and was wondering if you were gonna use I'd like to buy it back. if your not in Harris county you don't have to do emmision yet.
Nope, Im not. But if you want it, just drop me an email mman@exo.com and we'll see. Im not asknig too much for it, probably like 20 bucks or something..
Old 09-18-2000, 07:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Straight pipe

Takes some pics of it. Do you have the O2 sensor on the pipe? Any ways if I can't get ahold of the one I had I'll get a hold of you for sure.
Nope, Im not. But if you want it, just drop me an email mman@exo.com and we'll see. Im not asknig too much for it, probably like 20 bucks or something..
Old 09-18-2000, 09:58 PM

straight pipe

email me, mman@exo.com so i can send u the pics.

heh im too lazy to fig out how to posts pics right now, close to passing out.