General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

WarpSpeedPerformance Dyno Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 09:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Friday we dyno tested Bill Coon's Gen 4 and Matt Blehms Gen 3 Maximas. We dynoed the cars at Ed Wright Automotive in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The shop has a 2 year old Dyno Jet Dyno and a technician who has performed hundreds of dyno tests both for customers and for their own dyno tests they perform in conjunction with the performance chip reprogramming they do. The technician said that if any of our earlier dyno tests were with a Dyno Jet with the DOS version of software we could expect to see a 10-15% drop in horsepower. He said the older machines required guesswork on the part of the technician where now it was all done by sensors. Since we had used a new Mustang Dyno on our VE tests we did not have to worry about that.

We did Matt's car first, an automatic. Matt has one of our aluminized Y pipes, we actually installed another pipe on his car to gain additional clearance, he has an aftermarket sway bar which is much thicker than stock. He now has aprox 1-1/2"+ clearance between the top of swaybar and bottom of the Y pipe. Before it was about 1/2" -5/8". He had added new motor mounts but still felt a slight bump when he stomped on it. Matt's car tested out at 134.8HP with 186.4# of torque.

We tested Bill's car next, he has had our aluminized Y pipe on his gen 4 car for a week or so. He has a manual trans and was tested in 4th gear, it tested out at 176.1 HP with 189.9 # of torque.

I am waiting to receive the before dyno sheet from the Intercrew dyno before we post the pages on the site.

I asked both Matt and Bill how they liked the pipes, Bill said to look at his left front tire and then look at the right. The right tire was bald and had threads showing, in fact the technician looked at the tire and asked us if we felt it was safe to test because of it. Anyway Bill has a tire on order. Bill also said our pipe fit better and was easier to install than the stock pipe. Most of you have read Matt's posts in the past and I know he will post in addition to mine.

Our pipes seems to enhance the manual trans or auto trans cars a little different with different power curves. I get a little nervous when I hear things like how the pickup is real good between 60 and 90mph and there is still power to go when running 120mph.

I think it would be foolish of Dan and I to tell you we guarantee a certain number of horsepower if you install our pipes. In fact I don't think anyone can because a lot depends on the condition and mileage of your car. We can however guarantee you will feel the difference and you should realize we think a real 8-12 hp. I saw a post where one of the gen 3 cars got 12-15 hp with headers so that is probably about right.

We have now dyno tested our Y pipes on a VG, a VE and a VQ motor. We know that in order to get accurate results one must wait at least a few hundred miles between dyno tests to allow the computer to reprogram itself to the mod between tests.

We plan to dyno Matt's car with our high flow cat and our 2.5" B pipe and muffler in a couple of weeks and will post the results of it as well.

We will have a 3" version of our Y pipe available for test this or next week for the supercharged version of the Gen 4 Maxima.

So in essence we feel the addition of a Y pipe is probably the best bang for your buck mod. If you want a pipe which will both perform, flex, is resistant to cracking and is affordable buy ours. If you want a pipe which is polished for show do not buy ours, we do not use 304 stainless because it is too brittle and and has a tendency to crack.

Dallas and Dan Warpspeedperformance
Old 01-21-2001, 10:31 PM
STFU n00b!

One slight correction in my dyno #s.. the 186.4# TQ was because of the 2nd gear kickdown from flooring it at 65 instead of the 68-70mph I recommended. the ACTUAL max torque was "only" 160ft-lb at around 4200rpm.

if you'll look at the dyno chart, you'll see the huge spike on the left side. that's the max tq it measured from the kickdown. the line in the middle of the page was the "actual" max TQ.
in this dyno graph, I photoshopped the 159.4 into the max tq #. I also have the original chart with the erroneous reading on it for comparison. (just for the doubters out there.. print them both out, hold them up to the light, and the only diff you'll see is the # I moved)
http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...ypipe_dyno.jpg
http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic..._dyno_orig.jpg

It seems that most of my gains were in the midrange instead of on the high end. my high end still drops off fairly steeply, which is notorious for the VG engine. (although I don't think it's usually that big of a drop)..
I have a feeling this is mostly due to the 2.5" y pipe butting heads with the 2" cat and stock exhaust.

once we try the new cat and B-pipe on it, I think we can see some good stuff.
As Dallas said, we need to get the dyno charts from Intercrew on my stock dyno to compare numbers. I believe my memory does serve correct though. I was going to call intercrew tomorrow and have them fax/mail me another copy of my dyno sheet for reference.
Old 01-22-2001, 05:58 PM

WarpSpeed y-pipes

BTY it should be said that we use quality flex pipe not the cheap stuff. I have been runnig the full WarpSpeed exhaust set up for the past 4 months and have little if any of the "Bees in a can sound". It is loud, so I added a resonator and this makes it nice and throaty, fairly quiet around town, but will really bark under WOT. We will be offering several bolt on mufflers in the next few weeks as well. Check our web page occasionally. We will post when they are ready to go. Thanks for your interest. Dan WSP
Old 01-22-2001, 09:58 PM
STFU n00b!

Just FYI, I called Intercrew today.. they said they would fax/mail my dyno charts to me sometime today.. I left the office about an hour later and they hadn't faxed anything over yet.. Soo I dunno if they actually sent it or not. I'll call if there's not a fax on the machine when I get to work tomorrow afternoon.