General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Locking lug nuts....input needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 07:27 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Locking lug nuts....input needed

Today I was changing out my wheel studs (longer studs) in the front wheels and I was overtorquing the lug nuts with the wheel on to pull them all the way into the hub. Anyone who has done this knows what I am talking about. Basically I was looking at loosening the lug nuts and them retightening them to torque specs. Well...in the midst of this I was overtorqueing the locking lug nut when I heard a snap and a sudden looseness. Snap...I broke the inner portion of the lug nut key off clean. This pic shows the results.

Broken lug nut key

Here is a picture of the locking lug nut. Don't know if this will help in any input you give me.

Locking lug nut

I basically am looking at possibly welding the smaller portion of the lug nut key onto a bolt or something so that I can remove the locking lug nuts. The only thing is that the one of them is overtorqued so its going to take quite a weld. Does anyone know if this is a good idea, or something else I can try?? That's about all I can think of. I'm still looking for the damn paperwork on the lug nut key so I can get it replaced.

Any thoughts or ideas would be swell. I got a little bit of time to think about it because I can't use my car for about 4 days anyhow.

Thank you.

Ryan
Old 05-05-2003, 08:24 PM

take it to a shop so they can break it off.. i had to do that in my 626 after i found out the dealer gave me a STRIPPED KEY!
Old 05-05-2003, 08:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ryan, use a 12 point thin wall socket just about the same size...hammer the bish on and then wrench it off...
Old 05-05-2003, 08:40 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by WizzaMax
Ryan, use a 12 point thin wall socket just about the same size...hammer the bish on and then wrench it off...
Hmm...sounds like a plan. But crap I don't have much room between the lug nut and the wheel. I'll use that as a last resort.

I don't trust shops...especially when we are talking about rare wheels like mine.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:07 PM

I wouldn't either, luckily I have a good friend who works at a shop and he does everything for me, I dont need them other grease monkeys that dont give a rats *** about my car to do any work for me..
Old 05-06-2003, 04:46 AM

Re: Locking lug nuts....input needed

Originally posted by foodmanry
Today I was changing out my wheel studs (longer studs) in the front wheels and I was overtorquing the lug nuts with the wheel on to pull them all the way into the hub. Anyone who has done this knows what I am talking about. Basically I was looking at loosening the lug nuts and them retightening them to torque specs. Well...in the midst of this I was overtorqueing the locking lug nut when I heard a snap and a sudden looseness. Snap...I broke the inner portion of the lug nut key off clean. This pic shows the results.

Broken lug nut key

Here is a picture of the locking lug nut. Don't know if this will help in any input you give me.

Locking lug nut

I basically am looking at possibly welding the smaller portion of the lug nut key onto a bolt or something so that I can remove the locking lug nuts. The only thing is that the one of them is overtorqued so its going to take quite a weld. Does anyone know if this is a good idea, or something else I can try?? That's about all I can think of. I'm still looking for the damn paperwork on the lug nut key so I can get it replaced.

Any thoughts or ideas would be swell. I got a little bit of time to think about it because I can't use my car for about 4 days anyhow.

Thank you.

Ryan

Are those McGuard wheel locks?
Old 05-06-2003, 06:11 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Mail the broken key back to the company who makes the nuts.

You'll get a new one back in the mail.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:01 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by T-bone

Are those McGuard wheel locks?
Yes.

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Mail the broken key back to the company who makes the nuts.

You'll get a new one back in the mail.
Yeah that is what I am hoping. The break was weird...so clean and it doesn't look like to be a joint there. When I call I will see what they say.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:11 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Well that was easy. I just got off the phone with McGard and they will replace it for free! njmaxseltd, thanks. I just hope I don't get a flat before I get the new key.

Oh and I just worked on the brakes too...so I hope they are working,
Old 05-06-2003, 08:07 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by foodmanry
Well that was easy. I just got off the phone with McGard and they will replace it for free! njmaxseltd, thanks. I just hope I don't get a flat before I get the new key.

Oh and I just worked on the brakes too...so I hope they are working,