General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Resonator vs. Hp +, -

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2001, 08:13 PM

My friend had a custom exhaust built and he didn't put a resonator on (no it's not hella loud) It does drone at times after the freeway... So here's my question, If he added a resonator like flowmaster or something like that, does it restrict horsepower in any way or is the only function to silence the exhaust system. He has the 1st gen Cattman (made for SC, the one that whistles) so at times it can be a little louder than normal, but under normal throttle it seems tolerble. His greddy "muffler" needs replacement so I know that adds to the annoying noise.
Suggestions??
Old 01-23-2001, 06:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A resonator will affect flow

Originally posted by PiotrC70
My friend had a custom exhaust built and he didn't put a resonator on (no it's not hella loud) It does drone at times after the freeway... So here's my question, If he added a resonator like flowmaster or something like that, does it restrict horsepower in any way or is the only function to silence the exhaust system. He has the 1st gen Cattman (made for SC, the one that whistles) so at times it can be a little louder than normal, but under normal throttle it seems tolerble. His greddy "muffler" needs replacement so I know that adds to the annoying noise.
Suggestions??
We flow tested a straight piece of pipe and found that even a slight radius on the top edge where the pipe was cut off and not filed could reduce flow by 5-7%. So a resonator will affect horsepower to some degree, it is all give and take. We have a resonator which clamps or welds on a 2-1/4" or 2-1/2" pipe for about $40 delivered. It cuts the sound and does not hurt the flow too bad. It even works with a Cattman pipe, (better with ours though).

We also realize there is about a 10% flow loss with a flex connector, we have another flex joint we are testing which should have less flow loss and cost even less. If it works it will cut out the slight bees in a can sound one tends to get with flex joints. We will be testing it on Dan's car in a week or so.

dallas@warpspeedperformance.com