General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Dilemma....2k2 Maxima SE vs. 2003 RSX TypeS

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 06:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dilemma....2k2 Maxima SE vs. 2003 RSX TypeS

I've been planning on getting a 2003 RSX TypeS once I got back to the States (stationed overseas for the military). I've been wanting this car for over a year now. I didnt even consider other cars with the same or better specs since my budget is pretty tight. My brother got a 2002 Max SE last year but he wants to me take over payments and drive it since I'll be needing a car once Im back. I love the Maximas but there's only one problem with his Max. Its an auto with 22k miles on it already. I know he didnt drive it hard or treat it like $hit. I love Maximas but I also love manual shifting. I was checking online to see what the figures would be to trade it in for a 2k3 or 2k4 SE 6sp but the value dropped $10k just after one year (sup with dat?!?) Anyways, I just wanted to get some opinions/recommendations. Any would be appreciated.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:47 AM
i SeE what you did therE

2k2 maxima.. all the way..

you are on a maxima forum...
Old 06-07-2003, 06:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i know...but thought it'd get an opinion from others (unbiased if possible..hehe). I read through the posts and it seems like there's a big difference between an auto and a manual (duh!) I just dont wanna be kicking myself in the *** down the road for going with an auto.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Sports Button FTW

2k3 honda accord 2 door coupe w/ navigation and 6 speed. I've seen it in person and i am very impressed with the power, the build and the navigation is the best i have ever seen. If i had my choice between that car and the two you mentioned, i would go honda accord. Plus the coupe 6 speed would give the new maxima a real good run

(3.0 vtec 6 cylinder by the way :wow
Old 06-07-2003, 07:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you can somehow get the Max in a manual, then there is not even a discussion.
BUT if you are going to be driving a automatic transmission (even though it is a wonderful MAXIMA) Get the RSX-S, manual.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by JerseyMaxima
If you can somehow get the Max in a manual, then there is not even a discussion.
BUT if you are going to be driving a automatic transmission (even though it is a wonderful MAXIMA) Get the RSX-S, manual.
Its not what I really wanted to hear but its what i've been expecting to hear. Thanks Jersey.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ill take the Max even in auto over the RSX-S, not a honda fan, and definately not an RSX fan, dont like the look of them.

Eric
Old 06-07-2003, 08:39 AM

in traffic you'll be glad your driving a torque happy automatic maxima.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:47 AM

Re: Dilemma....2k2 Maxima SE vs. 2003 RSX TypeS

Originally posted by NeedaMax
I've been planning on getting a 2003 RSX TypeS once I got back to the States (stationed overseas for the military). I've been wanting this car for over a year now. I didnt even consider other cars with the same or better specs since my budget is pretty tight. My brother got a 2002 Max SE last year but he wants to me take over payments and drive it since I'll be needing a car once Im back. I love the Maximas but there's only one problem with his Max. Its an auto with 22k miles on it already. I know he didnt drive it hard or treat it like $hit. I love Maximas but I also love manual shifting. I was checking online to see what the figures would be to trade it in for a 2k3 or 2k4 SE 6sp but the value dropped $10k just after one year (sup with dat?!?) Anyways, I just wanted to get some opinions/recommendations. Any would be appreciated.
Of course it depends on what you want/need. Do you need a 4d? Do you care about handling? Are you going to tow a trailer? Will you keep the vehicle for 7 years?

If your answers are yes/no/yes/yes then the Maxima is for you.

If you are looking for a car that is fun to drive in the handling dept. and doesn't depreciate much, then the Acura is for you. It has no torque but that doesn't detract from the way it drives. The only way I can answer your sup wit dat question is a NCD (new car dealer) CANNOT pay more in a trade for a car than what they can get from the mfg, incl kickbacks, marketing scams, and holdback. You drive a new car off the lot, really it boils down to titling but driving off the lot is an expression, the diff between what you paid and their true cost (invoice less holdback less kickbacks) is lost, PLUS whatever profit they expect to make by selling this car on the used car market. 10k in a year for a max is not that surprising, though I would expect it to be more like 6-7.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:06 AM

Re: Re: Dilemma....2k2 Maxima SE vs. 2003 RSX TypeS

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Of course it depends on what you want/need. Do you need a 4d? Do you care about handling? Are you going to tow a trailer? Will you keep the vehicle for 7 years?

If your answers are yes/no/yes/yes then the Maxima is for you.

If you are looking for a car that is fun to drive in the handling dept. and doesn't depreciate much, then the Acura is for you. It has no torque but that doesn't detract from the way it drives. The only way I can answer your sup wit dat question is a NCD (new car dealer) CANNOT pay more in a trade for a car than what they can get from the mfg, incl kickbacks, marketing scams, and holdback. You drive a new car off the lot, really it boils down to titling but driving off the lot is an expression, the diff between what you paid and their true cost (invoice less holdback less kickbacks) is lost, PLUS whatever profit they expect to make by selling this car on the used car market. 10k in a year for a max is not that surprising, though I would expect it to be more like 6-7.

Old 06-07-2003, 11:53 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

manual > auto

the resale on an RSX is higher too
Old 06-07-2003, 11:58 AM

I would not base this choice on power or transmissions, rather the other aspects of the car. Could you live with the room of a 2dr? Do you drive highways a lot and crave V-6 power? Do you want a small car for city driving? Do you plan to modify the car heavily? etc. My $.02.
-Cyrus
Old 06-07-2003, 12:32 PM

If you're gonna be making payments on whatever car, make payments on something you WANT.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:19 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

If you want 84lb-ft of torque at the wheels @ 8000rpm, get the cute little RSX-S.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:21 PM

spoken like a true mustang owner...heh
Old 06-07-2003, 03:39 PM

if the payments will be relatively the same, get the RSX-S. it may not be as torquey but its still a quick car with lots of potential. it handles well and has good reliablity and resale value. and if you like manuals, this shouldnt even be a decision. its not worth making payments every month just to wish you had something else. get the rsx.

plus, your brother is probably getting rid of his 2k2 so he can go buy a manual car
Old 06-07-2003, 03:54 PM

RSX-S: 142lb/ft.@6000rpm Curb weight: 2778 lbs.

3.5Max: 265lb/ft.@4400rpm Curb weight: 3300 lbs.

Old 06-07-2003, 04:07 PM

haha..dilemmas are when you cant make a choice silly.

this is nothing to think about. MAXI it is.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by DTR Maxima
if the payments will be relatively the same, get the RSX-S. it may not be as torquey but its still a quick car with lots of potential. it handles well and has good reliablity and resale value. and if you like manuals, this shouldnt even be a decision. its not worth making payments every month just to wish you had something else. get the rsx.

plus, your brother is probably getting rid of his 2k2 so he can go buy a manual car
It boils down to what is needed. If you need a 4-door then it's the Maxima. The sacrifice is resale, fit/finish, handling, road feel. It's not a true comparison. The comparison for Maxima is Mazda 6 6-cyl, Accord V6, and Camry V6. RS-X Type S is a sports car, not a 4-door sedan.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:42 PM

RS-X Type S is a sports car

Old 06-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Granny Driven

I dont like Honda/toyota. Just tell the bro to keep the 2k2 and get urself a used 2k2 6spd. DO NOT GET AN AUTO, I repeat DO NOT GET AN AUTO.
And maxima resale value is not bad if you catch a sick deal on it used. few years later it wont drop much. I know I had few of them.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA
I dont like Honda/toyota. Just tell the bro to keep the 2k2 and get urself a used 2k2 6spd. DO NOT GET AN AUTO, I repeat DO NOT GET AN AUTO.
And maxima resale value is not bad if you catch a sick deal on it used. few years later it wont drop much. I know I had few of them.
That's what Camry owners thought until this month when their values instantaneously dropped $800. It's not hard to understand--NCD can't pay more to you than they do to the mfg. So simple, even in high school. Honda is the last of the untouchables, still command nearly list--go try to buy a CR-V, Pilot, or Odyssey, fuggetiboudit. The Nissan mentality is why can't I have $6k off list? You can! On a Nissan.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:31 PM

Maxima is faster....even auto
Old 06-07-2003, 06:38 PM

If the RSX-S is the car you've wanted for so long, then go for it. It handles, looks, and brakes good, and it's more fun to drive. If you want to have power to go straight and haul your kids around, get the Max, but don't sell yourself short by getting an auto....hehe.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for all your inputs. I've always wanted the RSX cuz of the price with all of its specs. I never considered a Maxima since it was out of my price range but I love the car. The payments will be almost the same...same with the insurance. I just think that if you're getting a sports sedan you should go manual. Whats the point of getting a fast, powerful engine if you cant take full advantage of it? Thats just my opinion so please dont flame me. My brother will see about trading it in for a 2002 or 2004 maxima 6sp without getting screwed too much. If he can pull it off, i'll be one happy SOB.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:29 PM
Dev

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp
Ill take the Max even in auto over the RSX-S, not a honda fan, and definately not an RSX fan, dont like the look of them.
i think maxima's are far from aesthetic marvels...

the rsx looks alright...better than the max IMO.
but it does lack torque.

like mecca said...accord coupe v6 6spd is really nice
rsx-s is nice too...i drove it...and the tranny is like butter...unlike mine...which is like grinding sand
Old 06-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Cheesing away...

Re: Dilemma....2k2 Maxima SE vs. 2003 RSX TypeS

Originally posted by NeedaMax
I was checking online to see what the figures would be to trade it in for a 2k3 or 2k4 SE 6sp but the value dropped $10k just after one year (sup with dat?!?)
Thats maximas for you.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:37 PM

if you want to be somewhat original, go for a camry and get the TRD supercharger......but if i had to choose between those two choices, i'd get the maxima, its better in every single aspect, except for handling (i'm referring to stock)
Old 06-07-2003, 10:50 PM

Ok listen up.

Forget the Maxima. Forget the girly honda car. Get your self a 2002 Blue Camaro SS 6spd. 300hp to the wheels stock, and even more torque. Worth the higher insurence.

Flame on, you torqueless riceboys.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Ok listen up.

Forget the Maxima. Forget the girly honda car. Get your self a 2002 Blue Camaro SS 6spd. 300hp to the wheels stock, and even more torque. Worth the higher insurence.

Old 06-07-2003, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by Lordrandall

Hell yea bro! You have good taste, good sir.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:22 PM

I'd go for the RSX-S . .. but thats just me. What color is your brothers Maxima? I'd have a hard time taking an RSX over a Black SE Max tho.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:13 AM

The RSX-S won't have much "around the town" TQ, but on the highway, the gearing and VTEC will make it alot of fun. If you won't miss the city TQ, get the RSX-S 6 speed manual.

DW
Old 06-08-2003, 04:33 AM

Ok listen up.

Pretty silly comment. That's like riding a fat boy and calling everyone who rides a honda a girl. 300 hp is no big deal today, even a 4 cyl Subaru does that to all wheels with a RWD bias. Camaro is ok, but it just looks ridiculous cause it's not 1979 anymore. What brought this comment on, did you pull out your 16 Candles and Fast Times at Ridgemont High dvd's last night? Camaro is for the 40+/hair club for men crowd
Old 06-08-2003, 07:14 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

If you're single and not planning on getting married anytime soon, then I would personally go with the RSX-S. Do you know what's going on with the aftermarket with that particular engine? It's off the charts. You'll be able to do whatever you want to that thing...
Old 06-08-2003, 09:04 AM

Hell yea bro! You have good taste, good sir.
camaros are junk. ive delt with too many that were peices of crap.
now adays, the power of a camaro is nothing, when all parts of the car are considered. sure you get raw power, but u also get a car that is going to need more money to upkeep than a playboy model. for around the same price, you can get an sti or evo, or used s4, all with just as much potential but better handling by far, and of course reliability. not to mention all the cars above are 13 second cars, and i have a hunch once a real driver drives an sti 12 will be seen stock, easily.

sorry for whoring your thread
Old 06-08-2003, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by DTR Maxima

camaros are junk.
Whether it's politically correct or not, I will totally agree with that statement. Unless you're bald, over 45 years-old, have a belly at least 5-6" hanging over your belt, you know what I mean, I'm not sure that the Camaro lifestyle is for you. Dang I gotta go now and cut the grass, that stuff is green but growing like crazy!
Old 06-08-2003, 09:32 AM

Whether it's politically correct or not, I will totally agree with that statement. Unless you're bald, over 45 years-old, have a belly at least 5-6" hanging over your belt, you know what I mean, I'm not sure that the Camaro lifestyle is for you. Dang I gotta go now and cut the grass, that stuff is green but growing like crazy!
Your weird
Old 06-08-2003, 09:39 AM

Having gone from a:
1995 Altima (new) to a...
1996 Civic EX (new) to a...
2000 Maxima (new) to a...
2003 Civic Si (new)...

I can give a little insight on this Honda vs Nissan dilemna.
#1) These cars you're comparing have NOTHING in common.
#2) GET WHAT YOU WANT THE FIRST TIME....DON'T SETTLE!
#3) Honda service > Nissan service (NO CONTEST)

I traded in my 2000 Maxima after 1.5 years and it lost HALF its value.
That is the only reason i'd never buy a nissan again.
PS: My old 96 civic retained 75% of its sticker price after 4 years!
I decided to look into smaller Honda/Acuras.
I test drove the RSX and at 6'6", i just didnt fit.
My knees were on the dash board.
So i test drove a 2003 Civic Si, and there was ALOT more room.
That's what i ended up buying, and I love it.

I'll repeat this again, GET WHAT YOU WANT.....the 1st time!
Old 06-08-2003, 10:47 AM

test drive the maxima and see hwo you like it and then test drive the rsx. the auto max is much better than an rsx. rsx screams... im a teenage boy where the max says.... hey im successful in life and know what luxury is.

Quick Reply: Dilemma....2k2 Maxima SE vs. 2003 RSX TypeS