General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

RASR

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2001, 10:56 PM

What are your opinions about street racing. Most of the car magazines (import tuner, max speed, super street) all suport the RASR (Racers against street racing). I'm all about street racing. Just wondering whos on what side.
Old 01-27-2001, 11:04 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I'm for it.......

but <b>ONLY</b> at the right times! <b>only when you don't put others at risk!</b> me and my dad had a big discussion over that after I got my $500+ reckless driving ticket for racing!! it was at 4am, no cars out, but obviously the cops were out! I gotta admit though I don't do it anymore <b>*cough* as much *cough*</b>, I just look at the guys who rev at me and say to myself, are they gonna pay my ticket(which I still have to go to court for!!) or get rid of those 5 points I already have on my liscence!?!?! just be careful when you guys do chose to street race..........

Originally posted by 68Stang
What are your opinions about street racing. Most of the car magazines (import tuner, max speed, super street) all suport the RASR (Racers against street racing). I'm all about street racing. Just wondering whos on what side.
Old 01-27-2001, 11:20 PM

Racing is for the track not on the streets. I learned this when the cops started chasing me while racing 3 other cars doing 120+ mph. That is one major mistake in my life.
Old 01-27-2001, 11:24 PM

i have mixed feeling about this one. Its fine only if its like a night when there are no people on the road. other then that its just stupid, safty is first! But as far as the mags, its like they show us these street cars but you cant really use it. Only for the track! Its like you can look but dont touch.
Old 01-27-2001, 11:26 PM

When I say street racing I mean from stop light to stop light. approximate 1/4 mile, not prolonged high speed races on the highway weaving in and out of traffic.
Old 01-27-2001, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by Kashoggio
i have mixed feeling about this one. Its fine only if its like a night when there are no people on the road. other then that its just stupid, safty is first! But as far as the mags, its like they show us these street cars but you cant really use it. Only for the track! Its like you can look but dont touch.

Yes, they put emphasis on "streetable" super fast cars and at the same time support bull-sh*t organizations such as RASR.
Old 01-27-2001, 11:42 PM

when i do have the urge to race thats what i do from stop light to stop light. I dont go pick up races but when i am at a light and some guys keeps looking at me, I go. But I must say that the article in sport compact did **** me off a little. I feel that they want us to use our cars only on the track, no other races. If I only wanted power on the track I would go wiht a big v8 not a 4 door car. Its defeting the purpose of having 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder cars having power what so ever. Also havent readers of these mags complained that all they see are 1/4 track monsters and not real street cars. For crying outloud lets think about it one mags name is SUPERSTREET!. i quit
Old 01-28-2001, 12:15 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Heres how I see it........

Personally I think it would be better for them to encourage "responsible" by siding with RASR, since they're already encourgaing guys like ourselves to try to make our cars sometimes "ridiculously" faster, and thus they avoid having to deal with some immature guy, with bad judgement, and a big wallet who reads Superstreet from going out and maxing out his ride in rush hour traffic killing a couple people and saying "Superstreet influenced me to make my car faster, so I could race it on the local Blvd.",AHA, but how could that be!?...since Superstreet sides with the RASR!!....just my $.02!
Old 01-28-2001, 12:50 AM

Street racing is dangerous to you and others no matter what the area or time of day/night. If you want to race, take it to the track.
Old 01-28-2001, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by 68Stang
It's a fool's game and gives the rest of us a bad name. It would be safer to play hopscotch on railroad tracks - at least you're the only one at risk!

Dave
Old 01-28-2001, 07:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have mixed feelings...

If a city has a problem with street racing then they should open a track or do something to make it safe, not just try to make it go away because it won't.

I just posted about a race against a VR6, but I raced him on a big open highway with no other cars around and high visibility in all directions. This was safe, even at 120mph.

I always ask myself, what are the risks associated here, and if its only me and the guy I'm against, then I go for it. If I ever have somebody else in my car, or the other person's car the forget it, even if they encourage me, I don't want to explain to their parents why I hit a tree with their kid in the car.
Old 01-28-2001, 07:47 AM

where you guys live?...

everyone on this board is always saying "take it to the track"...well here in los angeles..the closest track i can think of is like 2 hours away......and its $$$..
Old 01-28-2001, 08:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Street racing is an American pastime. I agree with buss95max that for many of us there is no local track or 1/4mi strip for us to use. So it's off to the streets. Traffic lights will always be christmas trees to us motorheads. There is a time and place for everything.

I think the problem with street racing is that it can turn into road rage or the speed contest is a direct result of road rage. How many times have we watched two cars going at it in traffic, tailgating and making unsafe lane changes just to get ahead of some one else?

RASR is a good concept. However they need to do more than say "take it to the track."
Old 01-28-2001, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by speedtrip

RASR is a good concept. However they need to do more than say "take it to the track."
I agree totally.

**disclaimer**
This is not a personal attack or flame of any sort!

If someone hurt a person close to me in a street race, I would personally hunt that individual down and bring the full force of the law down upon them. Failing that, I have several friends that would be glad to help me encourage that person never to street race again.

Please take this statement in the spirit in which it was meant. Check out SCCA autox racing in your area for a good racing experience.

Old 01-28-2001, 05:51 PM

In my opinion, There's a time and a place. SOme roads lend themselves to quick acceleration side by side with another driver....some don't. Here in IA, you can literally see 5 miles ahead of you on the highway with no other cars and can safely travel at high speeds with the only risk to yourself. It's my choice to risk only my safety and if I choose to do it...then so be it. I'm a Kavorkian driver...

What also is not defined here is the word "race"...until that is defines, there may not be a meeting of the minds and the discussion may have entered a slippery slope, Katie bar the door...

[Edited by kratz74 on 01-28-2001 at 07:53 PM]
Old 01-28-2001, 06:48 PM

Re: where you guys live?...

Originally posted by buss95max
everyone on this board is always saying "take it to the track"...well here in los angeles..the closest track i can think of is like 2 hours away......and its $$$..

The closest track to me is like 3 hours away: Lebonon Vally. I don't have the time or money to drive to the track make 3 passes and go home. But pick up races are free and when good judgemnet is used they are about as dangerous as driving on the highway. Whats the fastest most people here drive on the highway. I ussually stay at 75mph and sometimes 80 when traffic permits. Stop light to stoplight on a turnpike next to another car, maybe less then a 1/4 mile the most you hit is around 80-85mph. Unless you decide to cut loose on the highway which I don't like to do. I guess everybody has their own opinion about this topic. thats why I posted to find out everybodys stance. Street racers arn't going to sway track racers opionions and vice versa. But it seems like the people who support RASR live close enough to a track and have enogh money to blow for track time, where as the people who support street racing can't make it to or can't afford the track.
Old 01-29-2001, 04:00 AM
vapors smx

It is so nice to say "take it to the track" and all of that other politically correct stuff, however, be honest with yourself. Have you ever "raced" someone else on the street? Come on now, stop light to stop light or just for a 100 feet or 100 mph? A race is a race.

NOT TO FLAME

However, if done responsibly, I believe that street racing is part of americana. We street race all the time, responsibly, when there is light traffic. We do not cut in and out of cars, if we had to we wouldnt race. What we are saying, is if people are so against street racing, why hop up our cars? If we wanted only to do track racing, why not get a beater car with a wicked engine that was your trailer queen. Better yet, go buy a racing video game and place some fans in front of you to imitate the wind. Go visit Dromo One and for 20 bucks you get to race. Instead we spend countless hours, let alone cash, taking our cars to the next level.

Now I do not support some of the crazy street races that I sometimes see in traffic, however to say it is only for the strip is wrong. When we say that we are just becoming more and more hypocritical with each statement. It's funny when we post our "Roadkills" where everyone is saying great race. If we were this against street racing, why are we supporting roadkills?

Race responsibly, and understand there is risk. This is just my opinion, not a flame, so please don't flame back.

Old 01-29-2001, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by vapors smx
It is so nice to say "take it to the track" and all of that other politically correct stuff, however, be honest with yourself. Have you ever "raced" someone else on the street? Come on now, stop light to stop light or just for a 100 feet or 100 mph? A race is a race.

NOT TO FLAME

However, if done responsibly, I believe that street racing is part of americana. We street race all the time, responsibly, when there is light traffic. We do not cut in and out of cars, if we had to we wouldnt race. What we are saying, is if people are so against street racing, why hop up our cars? If we wanted only to do track racing, why not get a beater car with a wicked engine that was your trailer queen. Better yet, go buy a racing video game and place some fans in front of you to imitate the wind. Go visit Dromo One and for 20 bucks you get to race. Instead we spend countless hours, let alone cash, taking our cars to the next level.

Now I do not support some of the crazy street races that I sometimes see in traffic, however to say it is only for the strip is wrong. When we say that we are just becoming more and more hypocritical with each statement. It's funny when we post our "Roadkills" where everyone is saying great race. If we were this against street racing, why are we supporting roadkills?

Race responsibly, and understand there is risk. This is just my opinion, not a flame, so please don't flame back.

I couldn't agree more.
Old 01-29-2001, 06:01 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

The unfortunate thing is......

not everyone has good decision making skills and is as mature as many of us on here or out there on the road! I can't tell you how many times I've almost been hit by some ******* racing through 3-4pm traffic on my way home form class.......don't get me wrong though, I FULLY support it at the right time, no doubt, cause thats when I've done it, but in order to keep these *******s who do it during peak traffic time from killing me or someone else I'd side with the RASR! eventhough I am already taking the chance of getting in an accident by driving in the first place, I'd rather not have the ante raised against me when "Riceboy Johnson" almost clips my bumper at 80mph trying to avoid me in a 35 zone!!! nonetheless be careful......street racing is dangerous and even more dangerous when you're going up against an "imature" driver who takes it too far! just my $.02, or is that $.04 counting my other reply...
Old 01-29-2001, 07:08 PM

Broke my no racing @ 120 rule last night on the highway. This 95 5.0 Mustang just kept taunting me. My friend looks at me and goe "I think this ****** f**ker wants some." 9:30 at night, superbowl sunday not a car on the road except us so I said **** it and floored it (1999 Chrysler LHS: 253 HP and just as much torque). I heard the mustangs revs explode as he pulled past me then I caught up to his door and I realized I was doing a buck 20. We both hit the breaks at the same time because it wasn't worth the ticket. But I know he was supprised when I kept up with em.

The thing is though. If even one other car was on the road in front of us or my friend next to me said "not with me in the car." Then that would have never happened. I guess its all up to location and judgement.