General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Attention EE's or technical knowledge people about audio...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2001, 05:52 PM

I am for the most part pretty knowledgeable about the electronics of audio systems. I figured out that the Bose headunits send balanced line level signals to the amps, so I was able to integrate a complete aftermarket system after the Bose headunit using AudioControl EQs. however, I am wondering if there is any way of fooling the Bose stock headunit (which is made by clarion) of utilizing its CD changer inputs to be used for an auxilary line in. If this is the case, that would be great because I could hook up pretty much anything like DVD's or even computers to the stock headunit instead of using Tape adaptors or FM modulators.
Old 01-28-2001, 07:32 PM
Disco Biscuit

While I don't know if this can be done by the BOSE HU or not I don't know

`But Clarion HU's with CD Changer controls are capable of this with a $100 adapter made by Clarion. Spend $100 at Crutchfield and try it out
Old 01-28-2001, 07:50 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Which Audio Control EQ do you have? Do you get front, rear and sub out from the EQ?

Originally posted by ericdwong
I am for the most part pretty knowledgeable about the electronics of audio systems. I figured out that the Bose headunits send balanced line level signals to the amps, so I was able to integrate a complete aftermarket system after the Bose headunit using AudioControl EQs.
Old 01-30-2001, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Which Audio Control EQ do you have? Do you get front, rear and sub out from the EQ?

Originally posted by ericdwong
I am for the most part pretty knowledgeable about the electronics of audio systems. I figured out that the Bose headunits send balanced line level signals to the amps, so I was able to integrate a complete aftermarket system after the Bose headunit using AudioControl EQs.
I am using 2 AudioControl EQX Series II units. I am only using the high pass outs on the rear set. The front set use front and sub out.
Old 01-30-2001, 12:28 PM
Eman97SE

This is a guess, this is only a guess...

I would imagine that in order for the head unit's cd changer functions to be activated, it would have to 'think' that a changer was actually attached to it. So, you would have to figure out which pins on the cable handle the music signal, and which are there for power, changer connection, etc... Then you could build a special cable to connect another item to the head unit. If this actually worked, you would probably only be able to connect one thing, otherwise you are talking about a data buss arrangement (like Alpines AInet, or Sony's link system)which I'm almost certain the stock head doesn't do. It's either this or something else . Nice idea though, let us know what you come up with.