General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Ignition Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 03:08 PM

Ignition Key Programming

Hi folks...Anybody tried to program a Maxima Key with the built in chip ? My car is a 99 BTW.I do have acces for a Scan tool used in a Honda dealership. The device works fine for Honda cars,including the 03 s,but I have no ideea if I can program Nissan new keys with the same tool. I would like to cut and program 2 more keys,and they are too expensive at the Nissan dealer. Please help if you can.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

No.

99 keys are specific to model year 99 only. Programing is $75 or so and the key is another $40. No way around this.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:42 PM

A dealer in Madison charged me only $20 to program 2 keys.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:47 PM

Question:
I recently acquired 2 blanks for the 20th Anniversary Maxima, but my hubby's is a 1999. We still have both keys for his car, but the problem is that the previous owner was REALLY hard on the keys and the remote, and so the part that you hook onto the keychain is broken off on both keys and the clicker. On one key he just drilled a hole through the metal middle, but it looks really tacky. The 20th Anv. keys have a metal part to hook the ring through, not just plastic, so I don't anticipate the same breakage problem.
If it's not possible to program the new keys to the car, here's what I plan on doing: I will pull the transponder chips out of the existing two keys, and superglue them (or some such) into the NEW keys. The transponders already come out easily because the existing keys are so torn up.
Does anyone know whether the keys can be programmed to work with the car?? It seems unlikely that Nissan would switch to an entirely different transponder setup after only 1 year.
As a side note, I also purchased another, non-broken remote for the car, and if anyone has programming instructions for that, I'd love to hear them.
Thanks!!
Old 06-18-2003, 03:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Reprogramming

Originally posted by bill99gxe
No.

99 keys are specific to model year 99 only. Programing is $75 or so and the key is another $40. No way around this.
I just had a similar problem... I used another guys 2k1 maxima key that I picked up by mistake and tried to start my car. Little did I know that if you do this, the vehicle's anti-theft system kicks in and shuts down the fuel pump and injectors and everything!!! I had my mechanics pulling their hair out because we thought something was wrong w/the fuel pump, we checked the cam sensor but the problem was the key! When you use a foreign key in your max, it deprograms all of the proper keys so you have to get all your keys reprogrammed!!! Anyway.... I had to get a tow and have my 3 keys reprogrammed at Nissan. It cost me $90.

Deac
Old 06-18-2003, 03:09 PM

Key programming...

ok...after some search,I came to the conclusion that only a dealership would be able to do it. I have tried aftermarket(you can buy the key blank for as little as $9.95,but only if you buy large quantities...).There are also locksmiths that ARE able to cut the key and program it.Finally,either way,the prices are about the same $100-120 cut & program the key. I would prefer to have Nissan do it .They have that scan tool named CONSULT that connects to the on board computer and activates the keys for that car.
I was also thinking of taking the chip out and stick it close to the ignition switch.I even checked with some auto electronics shops if there is a chance to be succesful. ALL the shops said that they don t know if my project would work or not. I didn t want to mess up the key ,and try a fresh cut regular key to see if it works ,because if the key is not working properly,the system stops working even with the original key. So,caution what you do with the transponder keys. I still have only one key available...
Old 06-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Reprogramming

Originally posted by bill99gxe
No.

I just had a similar problem... I used another guys 2k1 maxima key that I picked up by mistake and tried to start my car. Little did I know that if you do this, the vehicle's anti-theft system kicks in and shuts down the fuel pump and injectors and everything!!! I had my mechanics pulling their hair out because we thought something was wrong w/the fuel pump, we checked the cam sensor but the problem was the key! When you use a foreign key in your max, it deprograms all of the proper keys so you have to get all your keys reprogrammed!!! Anyway.... I had to get a tow and have my 3 keys reprogrammed at Nissan. It cost me $90.

Deac
Old 06-19-2003, 01:17 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Yep, exactly what David Burnette at South Point Nissan told me.

You also can't purchase 2k and up Maxima keys for programming and use in the 99 model year. Only the 99 model year key will work......
Old 06-19-2003, 05:34 PM

I just went to the local Stephen Wade Nissan dealership and they told me that the same key could be used for 98 and up. It's the same transponder system. So I will try and give you guys a definite YES or NO.

No matter what I am making these 20th Anv. keys work on this Max.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:11 AM

boingo82, to program the remote follow these simple steps, which will work on any year nissan/infiniti
1) Close and lock all doors
2) Stick the key in and out of the ignition 6 times within 10 seconds
3) if hazrads do not flash repeat procedure, otehrwise press any button on the remtoe
4) if hazards dotn flash again repeat, otherwise open door lock with unlock button on door and it should work
Old 06-20-2003, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by asf4life
boingo82, to program the remote follow these simple steps, which will work on any year nissan/infiniti...
Thanks, it worked wonderfully. My husband is so happy to have a remote again. (His old one got lost due to being broken and falling off the keychain repeatedly.)
Again, I'll update on the key situation.
They have quoted me $20 per key to program, and I have to get them cut elsewhere.

Here's what I'm going to try to do with the keys:
When I bought my G20, it came with a really crappy Ace Hardware key, all worn down from years of use. I demanded one of the $125 Infiniti titanium (so they say) keys as part of the deal. I gave the spare ugly key to my husband, since he rarely drives my car.

One day he had his friend go warm up his Max, and the friend reported that the engine would turn over once and die. He was upset, wondering what his friend had done to his car.

Oddly enough, the friend had been using the worn down key to MY car, and the pattern on it was almost identical to his Max's keys. The car would die because of the absense of the transponder chip. His keys won't start MY car, and my pretty Infiniti key won't start his, but the ugly worn down Ace Hardware key turns over both.

I'm considering getting the NEW keys cut to the Ace Hardware key, because wouldn't it be nice to have 1 key for both cars? I think so.

It's just a funny coincidence that we ended up with such similar key patterns out of the 23,000 possible patterns.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:32 AM

wow, well i want to buy a regular key from the dealer, non-transpodner, that **** is $40, but im still gonn aget it when i have some extra cash
Old 06-20-2003, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by asf4life
wow, well i want to buy a regular key from the dealer, non-transpodner, that **** is $40, but im still gonn aget it when i have some extra cash
Well, if my ANV keys work you can contact this guy for transponder 20thAnv keys...I paid $25 each for mine which isn't much because they are beautiful as you can see..

If you don't have transponder system in your car, you can get one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2419976202
http://cgi.netscape.ebay.com/ws/eBay...&category=3242
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2419597889
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2419894991
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2419772927
Old 06-20-2003, 04:39 PM

OK, here is the final say on the 20th Anniversary Transponder key and whether it works with previous gen Maximas:
It can be made to work.

Today we went to Stephen Wade Nissan, where they attempted to cut one 20th key from my husband's existing key. Then they went to insert the key into the car, and found that it was too thick to fit in the doors. It would fit in the ignition, however. They gave up.

We took the cut key to Ace Hardware, had them do a better job of cutting it (Stephen Wade sucks at cutting keys) and tried it in the car. It fit but wouldn't turn. We decided the thickness was the problem. The geniuses at Ace shaved down both sides of the key to make it thinner...

We took the key outside and tried it in the car. It turned over!!! But...oops...now NONE of the keys would start the car. I had stupidly forgotten the post above mentioning what happens when you try a non-programmed transponder key...

We panicked and called a tow, thinking we had to have ALL 4 keys reprogrammed at the dealer. While waiting for the tow, inexplicably, my husband managed to stat the car with one of the old keys. I called and cancelled the tow.

Using a pocketknife, we swapped the chips from the old, broken key to the new pretty key. Success!! The 20th Anniversary key now starts the 1999 Nissan Maxima, and looks good doing it.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:30 AM

I guess there is luck out there...Now ,after you ve had done sooo much you ve got some experience with the Nissan keys, you think that if you take out the chip (transponder)and glue it under the ign switch,and cut just a plain key,would or would not work ? In your post you are talking about the 20 aniversary key .Does that have a built in transponder ? Or you cut it out from the old key ? In my situation,all I d like to do is bypass the immobilizer,and just cut couples of regular keys...Please let me know what you think...

P.S I wont hold you responsible...
Old 06-22-2003, 11:29 AM

Hi, I have a 02' I35 and it came with that hollow key that only opens the doors but doesnt even have a place for the chip to be. So it fits in the ignition and tries to start the car but the engine never stays running. If you just HOLD the regular key (with the chip) next to the key hole and try to start it again, It will start and stay running even after you move the chip away but once you turn it off you have to put the other key up there again. So yes if you just keep the chip from the key taped to the ignition. any key without a chip will work.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by astil
I guess there is luck out there...Now ,after you ve had done sooo much you ve got some experience with the Nissan keys, you think that if you take out the chip (transponder)and glue it under the ign switch,and cut just a plain key,would or would not work ? In your post you are talking about the 20 aniversary key .Does that have a built in transponder ? Or you cut it out from the old key ? In my situation,all I d like to do is bypass the immobilizer,and just cut couples of regular keys...Please let me know what you think...

P.S I wont hold you responsible...
Anv. key does come with a chip, but rather then spend $20 per key for programming it was easier to switch the chip out of the old key.

As for gluing the transponder chip into the ignition, it'd probably work but I don't think I'd do it.
I was reading the other day that the 98 Max had theft rates 7x the theft rate of the 99 - just because fuel cutoff became standard in 1999. If you live in a high-theft area you may want to buy the expensive keys.