General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Tomorrow is tint day, but what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 01:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tomorrow is tint day, but what to get?

Well they have two types of tint: regular($169) and scratch-resistant($189). Price isn't the object, but only regular tint comes in a pitch gloss black. Scratch resistant comes in a more metallic color (like black with a hint of silver). Which would you put on? How easily has your tint scratched and what do you have?

As far as transparency.. Va law dictates no darker than 50% in the front and 35% in the rear. If you were in my position, would you get 35% all around or 50% all around? I am NOT going to get darker than those two so insist on it (I know how good 20% looks, but I WILL NOT go darker), and I don't like the mismatching tints all around.

And I know the price is a little high (going rate is about $140 over here) but this is a local shop that has gained all my trust, and I will pay the little extra money to have them do it.

Thanks for your opinions,
-Cyrus
Old 06-13-2003, 01:31 PM

Personally I would get 35% all around, 50% really wouln't even be noticeable. I would get the regular one personally, I don't particularly like metallic color tints. I've had my windows tinted for like 10 months now and I've yet to scratch any of them. As long as you don't clean the insides of your windows with steel wool, its not really an issue.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:52 PM

I'd just go for the regular tint.. Get 35% all around if that's the lowest you are gonna go. That's not even dark at all.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:54 PM

Thanks both of you guys for the straight up and quick responses. 35% all around is illegal as is, I'm not going to push my luck (if I have any that is).
-Cyrus
Old 06-13-2003, 01:54 PM

Get 35% all around and get regular. I've had my regular 20% for 3 years now and not a single scratch
Old 06-13-2003, 02:03 PM

I agree with them. If you aren't going darker go 35% all the way around. Go with the black. If they use 3M or Llumar, you may have a guarantee against scratches anyway. I've had tint on all of my cars for the last 8 years and have never had an issue with scratching. just make sure they do the back with one piece
Old 06-13-2003, 05:35 PM

Whatup Vyrus. I'm getting my windows tinted sometime in the next month. VA laws are so ****ing gay. I'm 90% sure I'm just gonna do 35 all around. 50 is almost nothing so I figure I'll take the slight risk and hope for the best. Where's the tint shop you're going to? I don't know anything about the ones in Richmond so I'm kinda nervous. Remember to post up pics once it's on.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by Sorgasm
Whatup Vyrus. I'm getting my windows tinted sometime in the next month. VA laws are so ****ing gay. I'm 90% sure I'm just gonna do 35 all around. 50 is almost nothing so I figure I'll take the slight risk and hope for the best. Where's the tint shop you're going to? I don't know anything about the ones in Richmond so I'm kinda nervous. Remember to post up pics once it's on.
Hey bud, I'm going to a local shop called Premier Autosound. My family has been dealing with them for a decade (when they started) and we know the owner pretty well. As far as placed in Richmond, I think TNT Tinting has a division up there. They are a huge company, with a good warranty, so you can't go bad (although the prices might be a bit on the high side). I'll def post pics in this thread once it's done.
-Cyrus
Old 06-13-2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus

Hey bud, I'm going to a local shop called Premier Autosound. My family has been dealing with them for a decade (when they started) and we know the owner pretty well. As far as placed in Richmond, I think TNT Tinting has a division up there. They are a huge company, with a good warranty, so you can't go bad (although the prices might be a bit on the high side). I'll def post pics in this thread once it's done.
-Cyrus
i went with 35% all around but the big rear window i did 20% because i didn't want the cars behind me or even the taller trucks to light up my interior. it relly looks good.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:07 PM

i have to say, i wanted to stay legal too, and i decided that i should get 35% all around, and in the end i regret it. it looks lighter then i wanted. you pretty much can see right through it anytime. i wish i had 20% or at least 30% straight...
Old 06-13-2003, 07:11 PM

I've ridden in perrymax's car with 20%.. I know how nice it is. But I'm only 17 and I can't afford tickets, so I'm going to stay as close to legal as I can.
-Cyrus
Old 06-13-2003, 07:19 PM

I dun told you 20%
Old 06-13-2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider
I dun told you 20%
Old 06-13-2003, 07:35 PM

Old 06-13-2003, 07:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

50% is nothing. You might as well not even get it tinted. If you are gonna spend $150-$200 you might as well be able to see a difference. Even 35% isn't much. I have %15 and almost wish I went 10%. Granted the law in Florida is 18% for the front door windows, so I am not exceeding the law by much.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:03 AM

I just had tint put on a couple of days ago..I got 40%, 50 is legal limit, but the guy that installed it said that 50 is rediculous. It is transparent, you won't be hiding from anyone, but that is why they have a law in the first place. It does look sleek and clean. Good luck, I am happy with the 40%
Old 06-14-2003, 09:44 AM

I thought Florida's legal limit was 15%?
Old 06-14-2003, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Hobert
50% is nothing. You might as well not even get it tinted. If you are gonna spend $150-$200 you might as well be able to see a difference. Even 35% isn't much. I have %15 and almost wish I went 10%. Granted the law in Florida is 18% for the front door windows, so I am not exceeding the law by much.
Legal limit is 28% for windows last I heard.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:05 AM

As above, 50% is nothing... NOT even worth the install if that is what you're going to go with. Here in OH, 50% tint is the max for the car. 35% is not THAT dark but enough that it's worthwhile. I can't even imagine getting in trouble for it unless I **** off some cop and he is looking for violations. People who tint their cars in my state almost always get 35% and I have seen many with more. I seriously cannot tell if a car has 50% or nothing... it's that weak.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:01 AM

my dad has 50% in the front windows of his truck and you cant even tell. it just kinda makes things look more..... yellow.

i am also pretty young and dont want to deal with tickets, so 20% is out of the question, so i am going to go with 30% all around. does anyone have thier front windshield tinted?? my friend has it on his explorer and its insane. i dont how he sees at night, its definatly a hazard.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:03 AM

35% all around is the way that i would go.....do you know what type of film they use? the regular dye film turn purple after a while, make sure the tint is metal based
Old 06-14-2003, 11:48 AM

I have 20% Llumar Titanium which has a metallic look to it. Makes it more "glossy" if you will.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:59 AM

I'm going with 35% all around, legal limit in Texas. Hopefully it'll be more noticeable than no tint, and I dont like the mismatched windows.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:39 PM

On all of this page you will see pics of my car with the new tint (excuse the dirty car I didn't have time to clean it today). I got 35% all around, smoke tint, and said he would only do this because he knew me so well (which he does) because he could not give me a reciept. The tint has many, many bubbles in it, but he said that I need to come back in 4-5 day and he will smooth it out (has anyone else had to do this)? I like the color, it is dark enough so people cannot see you well inside the cabin, but from inside light can penetrate fairly easily. The other car in those pictures had 20% for comparisons.
Thanks for all your help guys,
-Cyrus
Old 06-14-2003, 04:47 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

grr sorry, too late to post

but if you are curious to see how 50% all around scratch protective tint looks like... check this out:
Old 06-14-2003, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s
grr sorry, too late to post

but if you are curious to see how 50% all around scratch protective tint looks like... check this out:
So you pretty much wasted your money?
Old 06-14-2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by MAXIN

How did you attach an image?

Forum Rules:
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
IMG code is
He uploaded and has an external host. He is using vB code if you want to get technical.
-Cyrus
Old 06-14-2003, 07:25 PM

Looks nice

Originally posted by Vyrus
On all of this page you will see pics of my car with the new tint (excuse the dirty car I didn't have time to clean it today). I got 35% all around, smoke tint, and said he would only do this because he knew me so well (which he does) because he could not give me a reciept. The tint has many, many bubbles in it, but he said that I need to come back in 4-5 day and he will smooth it out (has anyone else had to do this)? I like the color, it is dark enough so people cannot see you well inside the cabin, but from inside light can penetrate fairly easily. The other car in those pictures had 20% for comparisons.
Thanks for all your help guys,
-Cyrus
I got 20% on mine although it is a 3rd gen in comparsion to your ride but all my friends say damn that is dark. It has no scatches or bubbles except for a little cec The funny thing is I have had it on for about 3 years now and got pulled over only once for a tint ticket and he said it was at 17%. So your tint is probably a little darker like at 32% depending on what color the glass is from the factory. I live in Georgia where the legal tint limit is 35%. But have I changed it no because I still pass cops that dont car and I usually have my windows down so they can see the inside of the car.

But nice choice and you will have a cooler summer now.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:39 PM

Re: Looks nice

Originally posted by tightblue89

I got 20% on mine although it is a 3rd gen in comparsion to your ride but all my friends say damn that is dark. It has no scatches or bubbles except for a little cec The funny thing is I have had it on for about 3 years now and got pulled over only once for a tint ticket and he said it was at 17%. So your tint is probably a little darker like at 32% depending on what color the glass is from the factory. I live in Georgia where the legal tint limit is 35%. But have I changed it no because I still pass cops that dont car and I usually have my windows down so they can see the inside of the car.

Good stuff. I never knew 4th Gen windows were factory tinted but I guess the are if they implemented that in 3rd Gens. BTW nice 3G!
-Cyrus
Old 06-14-2003, 07:46 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by MAXIN

How did you attach an image?

Forum Rules:
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
IMG code is
i own this place
Old 06-14-2003, 08:04 PM

Re: Looks nice

Originally posted by tightblue89

Oh great, so that means if I get stopped I will be below the legal limit

Originally posted by nadir_s
i own this place
:lol

Old 06-15-2003, 11:18 AM

I just got mine tinted to 20%, it looks good although I should've stayed with 35, so I'd say go with 35% because 20 is just a little too dark>well for me anyway.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:07 PM

Lookin good man.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:12 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by gtr_rider

So you pretty much wasted your money?
my money? yeah right, i want dark tint! the tint came w/ the car... my cousin (prev. owner) wanted to preserve the leather interior so he tinted both windshields (front/back) and all the windows 50% w/ a bunch of filters.

I don't like the tint on the rear windshield... it's all blurry and crap. I want to get new tint, but I will have to save a little extra to pay for removing the old tint. Oh well, for now i don't care.

I really like Cyrus' new tint tho, lookin good man!
Old 06-15-2003, 05:30 PM

I cant wait to get double limo all the way around. I'll have it within three weeks.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:14 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally posted by gtr_rider So you pretty much wasted your money?
Keep in mind he lives in a state where ALL tints are illegal regardless of percentage.

No one has mentioned that interior color plays a roll in how "dark" a tint looks. If you take two cars with 35% one having a dark interior and the other having a light interior of course the darker interior will "appear" to be darker. So for others, keep that in mind when selecting a tint percentage becasue it's too late for Vyrus.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:32 PM
Cheesing away...

Originally posted by Sorgasm
What? So we're allowed to cuss now.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by vsidesupratt1

sure. why not?
Old 06-15-2003, 08:51 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by vsidesupratt1

i don't ****ing think so
Old 06-16-2003, 12:52 AM
meh

Originally posted by DTR Maxima
my dad has 50% in the front windows of his truck and you cant even tell. it just kinda makes things look more..... yellow.

i am also pretty young and dont want to deal with tickets, so 20% is out of the question, so i am going to go with 30% all around. does anyone have thier front windshield tinted?? my friend has it on his explorer and its insane. i dont how he sees at night, its definatly a hazard.
I have 52% on my windshield. I feel the car really looks incomplete if all the other windows are treated, and then you have just a plain, untinted, all-revealing windshield. I have no problems seeing thru it at all, and I love the overall, more finished look.

Quick Reply: Tomorrow is tint day, but what to get?