General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help i need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 07:01 AM

Help i need help!!!

I have a 1990 Max with 105000 miles and it is an auto.
I heard someone say that if i shift the car into neutral while crusing it would save gas. So i tryed it while on my drive back home and since i live in Queens i constinly changed it from neutral to drive.

Now hears my problem. The car now spins at a much higher rpm before it shifts into a new gear. It used to shift gears around 2000-3000 RPMS (i think) and it wouldn't make the engine scream. Now it seems to change gears any around 2000-5000 rpm, and the engine would scream before it changes. Is this because i am pressing the gas hard or is it because my transmission is going bad. Would changing the transmission fluid fix this problem?

My unlce just put new fluids in the car. brake, powersteering.... etc. And the powersteering rubber pipe has been changed. Would this affect it ?

I really need to know how to fix this problem because my car is screaming at me and i'm scared
Old 06-23-2003, 07:28 AM

Would having it on power / comfort / auto make a differnece?
Old 06-23-2003, 07:48 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Stop putting your car in neutral while it's moving. Thats not the way your supposed to drive an automatic transmission.

Check your fluid level and perhaps get it serviced and hopefully your shift pattern will come back to normal again.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:50 AM

I have learned my lesson and i will never ever drive like a idiot anymore. Or try to drive like an idiot.