General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Mini black boxes

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 01:30 PM

Mini black boxes

I read an article this weekend on data recorders stating that many cars today now have devices that can determine the cause of an accident(similar to black boxes on planes). Just wondering if maximas are equiped with these devices. TIA
Old 07-02-2003, 01:04 AM

i saw it on the news 40 million cars in the US have these little black boxes in them and no one knows which car has them, they are becoming a factory installed part so there will be more, and yes they are installed to find out whos at fault in an accident they record during hard accelleration and sudden braking not during normal driving.....the insurance companies are the only ones who have access to these little black boxes so if u get in an accident and its your fault even in the middle of nowhere there is a witness...technology cant help the weatherman tell me exactly when its gonna rain or not but my FRIGGIN car can tell the insurance company that it was my fault when i monkey my car.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by maseo77
i saw it on the news 40 million cars in the US have these little black boxes in them and no one knows which car has them, they are becoming a factory installed part so there will be more, and yes they are installed to find out whos at fault in an accident they record during hard accelleration and sudden braking not during normal driving.....the insurance companies are the only ones who have access to these little black boxes so if u get in an accident and its your fault even in the middle of nowhere there is a witness...technology cant help the weatherman tell me exactly when its gonna rain or not but my FRIGGIN car can tell the insurance company that it was my fault when i monkey my car.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:08 PM

honestly speaking, it isnt really that much of a bad idea, what happens if you accelerate hard frequently? wont the tape just run out or something? I'm guessing they put these things into "real" sports cars (i.e. 2 door coupes and hatchbacks)
Old 07-02-2003, 10:06 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
honestly speaking, it isnt really that much of a bad idea, what happens if you accelerate hard frequently? wont the tape just run out or something? I'm guessing they put these things into "real" sports cars (i.e. 2 door coupes and hatchbacks)
WHAT?! Are you serious?!?! It's digital... it records rolling 30 (I believe, maybe 15) second periods of time... there's no "tape". So if you get in an accident they can see what was happening 15-30 seconds beforehand. And they put them in new cars, not just "sports cars." Station wagons, civics... you name it. I thought I read every GM car on the road will have one within a year or two.

I'm still up on the air on this one. I'd sure be upset if it was used as evidence against me, but I'd be VERY happy if one proved an accident wasn't my fault. With the way I drive I'm for them, but I can also see the privacy implications.

AND... law enforcement also has access to them. Granted they need a court order, but if you got in an accident they'll get their court order and you car will play witness either for or against you.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:46 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

Those black boxes are not designed to determine fault - they simply provide a breif snapshot of the last few seconds of vehicle operation up until an airbag deployment. They usually measure speed, throttle position and brake status, although some record more. They are used fro accident forensics to determine the effectiveness of the safety systems in the car - NOT for the insurance company. The insurance company would have to get a court order.

I can see some 5th amendment issue in the police forcing you to hand over the blackbox, but really that's only gonna prove fault in extreme cases such as you were doing 20mph over the speed limit or unreasonably failed to brake.

It's an equaliser. An independent witness to a couple of key facts. Only the guilty have something to fear.

You know theree's incriminating evidence in there? Figure out where it is, then if you are in an accident you should go to the junkyard that has you car and remove it while you are "removing personal effects". By the time the court order is enacted it's already gone and you don't knwo anything about it. If you do this before the court order is in place then you are not violating any law or court order.

If you drove the car home from the accident that didn't deploy the bags then the data will have been wiped. Dunno if it stores more data once the bags have been deployed, though...
Old 07-03-2003, 06:48 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I know my 95 doesnt have one.

It's not even OBDII.