General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Outgrew Maxima???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 02:29 PM

Outgrew Maxima???

Does anyone here feel like they outgrew their Maxima? Meaning wanting to move on to something better.
My lease is up next year and I've debating if I should keep it or buy something else. The max is great for what you pay for it but I've had my eye on the Corvette c5 for a while and now that I can afford it I’m like "should I keep the Max" or "should I buy the vette" (big run-on sentence). after drooling over araffio's car, I've even debated getting a 4th gen now and giving up the 2k2 when the lease was up.
So have anyone here say that's it I’m done with the Max ...next please.

Nice
Old 07-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've thought about it, but there's really not too much out there I would want. G35C is nice, but after I drove it, its just better then average. C5 is fun to drive, but only 2 seats = bad for friends, plus cavalier quality interior. Audi S4 is still on top of my list, but not enough back seat room. I might as well stick with my max until something I "just gotta have" comes out.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:20 PM

Re: Outgrew Maxima???

Originally posted by nice95GLE
Does anyone here feel like they outgrew their Maxima? Meaning wanting to move on to something better.
My lease is up next year and I've debating if I should keep it or buy something else. The max is great for what you pay for it but I've had my eye on the Corvette c5 for a while and now that I can afford it I’m like "should I keep the Max" or "should I buy the vette" (big run-on sentence). after drooling over araffio's car, I've even debated getting a 4th gen now and giving up the 2k2 when the lease was up.
So have anyone here say that's it I’m done with the Max ...next please.

Nice
Definitely. We are all pretty young, so it's natural to have the itch to change cars quite frequently. A general rule is probably every 3rd girlfriend you want to get a new car!

But there is a downside too--looks like the real estate party isn't over yet, though rates have gone up about 3/8% from the bottom very quickly. If your car is still good, though you say lease, that "corvette" money could get you a house instead--and because like I said the party isn't over yet, 12 months from now you can be very surprised how much equity you gained. Now granted 40 grand to include closing costs, on a starter 350k house you may only be putting 7.5% down and borrowing 92.5%. But in the game, you're risking or investing 350 grand. In a good market you could gain 20 grand in equity 12 months later. Or, you buy the Corvette. 12 months later you've put 15k miles on the car and the value went down. How much did it cost you to drive the corvette now?? the opportunity cost of the money you coulda gained. But it's not really as simple as I'm making it out to be, it's risky depending on where we are in the real estate game. It's like musical chairs and somebody may pay such a high price that when the music stops, there is no chair to sit on and the bubble bursts. Many of us who got caught with stocks in 2k1 know how that goes. Thank goodness we can own a home though and recover a little bit. Good luck, and ultimately, do what makes you happy!
Old 07-02-2003, 06:34 PM
V^___^V

every car has it's + and -, it's depends on ur priority over performance, handling, comfert, exterior, and so on...

i'm only 18, and personally i woulda gone with civics or integras (cuz parts are cheap). but after i started to mod my car i jus got so addicted and never regret about gettin a cheap civics or integras =X my next car most likely gonna be either altima 3.5SE, or acura CL type-S
Old 07-02-2003, 06:36 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

if money permits.. most car enthusiasts will want to move on to something better. Not sure if you outgrew it or your pockets did. I love the max but if I could afford to, I'd give it up for something nicer in a heartbeat. The Max is just the best car out there for the money in my eyes.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:37 PM

Being a big 4th gen fan myself, IMO it'd be really cool to get a 98 SE fully loaded in perfect shape and throw 10 grand at it. (98 specifically because you can get an aftermarket ECU) Its not a C5 but if you really wanted to make it as fast as one, you could. IMHO a 4 door that runs a low 12 is one of life's great pleasures, its just not special to see a Vette run a 12. Lemme think... 18"s or 19"s with a Brembo brake kit, JIC coilovers, Turbocharger or Stillen V2, MEVI, CF hood, 8000k HID lows / fogs etc. Yeah, that'd be fun...
Old 07-02-2003, 06:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I dont feel ive outgrown my maxima yet, im only 17

However, there are about 156 other cars i want. I just need to be rich, one day ill own one car for every day of the week...

Eric
Old 07-02-2003, 06:53 PM

Personally, I'm keeping my 4th gen at least until I graduate college. Aka 3 more years. After that I have my eye on a 2000+ Lexus GS400 or 430. I will most likely still keep the max around as a 2nd car though cause I love it so much and it is my first car. I would get the 4th gen if I were you!
Old 07-02-2003, 06:58 PM

Black95Se - you might want to change you sig....don't want to get them turn off again
Old 07-02-2003, 07:20 PM

You all are gonna hate me for this, but id get the vette! After seeing all the vettes on 65 coming from Bowling Green this weekend, Ill admit I drooled! They look tight, handle well, and are fast right out of the box + its RWD. If you can live with 2 seats, and dont live in an area where it snows or rains alot, id go for it. Just my .02
Old 07-02-2003, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
Black95Se - you might want to change you sig....don't want to get them turn off again
Too big? Or is the girl showing to much skin? Seriously, if its too big I'll shrink it but I have found no posted rules regarding sig pics.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by Black95Se

Too big? Or is the girl showing to much skin? Seriously, if its too big I'll shrink it but I have found no posted rules regarding sig pics.
its not the size. you might one to check with one of the moderator to see if putting that girl in the sig is okay. I'm not sure if there is "posted" rules regarding sig pics, but sigs were banned awhile back b/c people were complaining about it.
and don't get all ****y about this
Old 07-02-2003, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
its not the size. you might one to check with one of the moderator to see if putting that girl in the sig is okay. I'm not sure if there is "posted" rules regarding sig pics, but sigs were banned awhile back b/c people were complaining about it.
and don't get all ****y about this
Hey don't worry, I'm not sh*tty about it. I PMed Kev and asked him to take a look at it since I couldnt find any kind of rules/regulations. Basically I'm assuming it's okay since it's not like I have hardcore **** in my sig I am worryed about the size tho cause I run 1600x1200 and cant really tell if it will be small for me and huge for someone else. No hard feelings tho. And to the owner of this thread: sorry we're whoring it up haha

Ian
Old 07-02-2003, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Black95Se

Hey don't worry, I'm not sh*tty about it. I PMed Kev and asked him to take a look at it since I couldnt find any kind of rules/regulations. Basically I'm assuming it's okay since it's not like I have hardcore **** in my sig I am worryed about the size tho cause I run 1600x1200 and cant really tell if it will be small for me and huge for someone else. No hard feelings tho. And to the owner of this thread: sorry we're whoring it up haha

Ian
no hard feelings.

btw, C5 all the way
Old 07-02-2003, 08:41 PM

if you want a 4 door - i'd prolly go for a 330ci stick is i had the money, since i dont have $$$, g35 sedan will do
Old 07-02-2003, 09:05 PM

why not pay off the max, keep it and get a really impractical car with more hp than any one person really needs? thats what im doing. i continue to mod slowly but ill eventually have everything i want. personally im saving money for a 67-69 camaro 396ci+
Old 07-02-2003, 09:09 PM
† ErV †

Probably yes. my next car will be a '93-95 gs300 with about 130k on the odo. already choosing 5 from, i want to see who will drop the price in a week or so the most. i need something bigger for 7-14 hour roadtrips i like to make and i just feel the gs is more solid than the 4th gen. money permits i would be driving a 2002 max but that's not even an option ( ). i am moving up slowly... base jetta, loaded camry, loaded max, loaded lexus.

Old 07-02-2003, 10:51 PM

I have been itching to upgrade for awhile but still love driving my 00 SE. I test drove an Audi A6 today. The thing is that they have 1.9% for 60months financing while Nissan only offered 4.9% for a 04 Max. So the more expensive car (A6) is a better deal. The A6 would be an upgrade in terms of luxury but I may still hang on to the 00 Max. I do know the feeling of wanting to upgrade. I am fighting the urge. I would hate to exchange a reliable Max for a lemon Audi, or anything else.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:59 PM

As much fun as my Max is to drive, and even though it looks great and smooth. . . I would buy a 350z or C5, if I had even more money, i'd try to find an older E55 AMG, or perhaps an M5. But since im poor, im happy with the Maxima for now. I do plan on keeping it, when and if I do get enough money for something alot better.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:05 PM

SAY IT AINT SO!!!

haha...if i could afford insurance on it i would be driving an E36 M3...i pay $2500 a yr right now so i am guessing the M3 would be somewhere north of $4k possibly which would be rediculous.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:14 AM
† ErV †

2500?? holy. get a weak insurance that only covers the legal aspects. the way i figure it, big insurance companies will kill you and if you get in an accident they will start kicking around and your deductable is probably too high to be usefull in anything less than a major collision. and in that case your premium would go up even more. when i hit a cow (dont ask) and later had my 1/4 dented in big time, both repairs cost me less total than my premium with a major company for a year. and they wouldn't have covered the cow anyway. ok that was O/T but $2500 crap.

Old 07-03-2003, 04:38 AM
CaLSoNiC

The new C6 is gonna have the 500HP powerplant again

Old 07-03-2003, 07:00 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

I could get a C5 or a 350Z if I wanted, but with baby #1 baking as we speak now's not the time to get a 2-seater.

Once the economy picks up again I'm gonna get me a G35 4-door. I just don't wanna get stuck with huge payments, baby and loss of job at the same time...

I'll definitely keep the max as well. Once the tranny is fixed ( ) it'll be my backup car. Just have to teach the wife to drive stick.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:33 AM
I'm so hood

The max always had it coming with me, from the time of purchase (2 yrs ago). Really, I would have preferred to own a third-gen, but time was against me on that one. I'm more of a twisties/handling guy than straightline torquey speed, and while my max is generally pretty smooth, pretty lavish on the interior, and handles/rides ok, I'd like something more sporty in terms of suspension and weight.

C5? Too fast for me to be comfortable rolling as a daily-driver, I'd be too tempted to stretch it. Plus reliability and that god-awful interior...

Right now the RX-8 is on the top of my list. While styling is debatable, 50/50 + rwd + under 3000lbs + the natural balance and smoothness of the rotary engine all the way up to 9k aren't. N/A rotary reliability, respectable interior...pretty low on torque but the curve is dead flat...all for $27k base.

If I had some more $, G35C would be a serious contender.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by blizz20oma

C5? Too fast for me to be comfortable rolling as a daily-driver, I'd be too tempted to stretch it. Plus reliability and that god-awful interior...
Trust me, when you have the power, you don't even realize it under normal driving conditions. It's only when you're changing lanes quickly thinking "damn that car is coming up quick on me, better step on it" and realize "holy shiet, didn't ask for that much power".
It's a great feeling having a unique car, fast as hell, and knowing that you can take 98+% of the cars on the road.
Yeah, it is tempting to stretch it, but that's what BOV's are for, it cures the craving after hearing it a few times.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:42 AM

I think what I wanted to say in my original post was, I feel I'm to old for a Max. I'm 31 and the wife is 3x. Sometime I get the feeling the 5th gen and below is more a fast and furious type car (which is not the image I am going for). Someone stated in an earlier post "that maybe my pockets outgrew the max", this is true to some extent but I like to drive what is appealing to me. There is nothing wrong with the Max (other than Nissan srevice) but sometimes I feel I should not buy out the car after the lease and just move on to something different... not better but different.

Maybe I should have titled my post "Do You Feel You Are Getting To Old For A Maxima".

I am ashamed to admit it, but sometime I get mixed up in that stupid game of peer pressure. I recently got promoted to an officer at my job and most of my peers drives MBs, BMWs, Audis, Porsches etc...
So I think I am just being a typical Man.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:04 AM

I feel that depending on how you let it affect you, it can be a good motivator. I gave one friend that has a Z that convinced me into getting one and my othe friend has an S4. It's a good motivator to work for something better so you're not "left behind"
Old 07-03-2003, 10:24 AM

all this mentioning of the C5 (which is an awesome car) but what about the camaros/birds? 98+ LS1

Before i got my license ive always wanted to get like a 93-97 LT1 Z28 (being that i couldnt afford the LS1s) but then i started thinkin about practicality, gas, insurance, blah blah and i sorta scared myself away from it and started looking into this car. now i want one again, but am still considering those same issues plus the fact that ill regret getting rid of my 3rd gen
Old 07-03-2003, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Maximan190
all this mentioning of the C5 (which is an awesome car) but what about the camaros/birds? 98+ LS1

Before i got my license ive always wanted to get like a 93-97 LT1 Z28 (being that i couldnt afford the LS1s) but then i started thinkin about practicality, gas, insurance, blah blah and i sorta scared myself away from it and started looking into this car. now i want one again, but am still considering those same issues plus the fact that ill regret getting rid of my 3rd gen
wow, that sums me up, i had a 90se loaded, near perfect condition. ive always wanted a car that you have to launch in 2nd
Old 07-03-2003, 12:26 PM
I'm so hood

Sometime I get the feeling the 5th gen and below is more a fast and furious type car (which is not the image I am going for).
Are you aware that the majority of people that drive maximas, especially 02s, are older than you? A mid-30s attorney here just bought an 02, he can't stop raving about it. If it's good enough for a civil defense attorney, then...

And if you're going for outright sophistication I don't know if the C5 is the right call, though it would launch you into that group of mid-to-late 50s vette drivers that finally could justify the all-out-performance purchase $-wise.

It's a great feeling having a unique car, fast as hell, and knowing that you can take 98+% of the cars on the road.
I don't know about unique. For me 90% of the fun of driving is somewhere else than competitively 'beating other cars' or even knowing that I can. I'd be all down for a drag project car to satisfy the other 10%, but not a daily driver.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:40 PM

...And if you're going for outright sophistication I don't know if the C5 is the right call, though it would launch you into that group of mid-to-late 50s vette drivers that finally could justify the all-out-performance purchase $-wise.

No, I like the vette for its lines; it’s far from sophisticated. I love the body of that car, just like I love the lines of the 4th gen (that why I want a 97-99 Maxima so-so bad). For me it's all about looks. s**t the only people that I see diving vettes are old grey hair folks .
Old 07-03-2003, 01:41 PM

I am a 40 yo physician, but feel younger in the Max!

Originally posted by nice95GLE
I think what I wanted to say in my original post was, I feel I'm to old for a Max. I'm 31 and the wife is 3x. Sometime I get the feeling the 5th gen and below is more a fast and furious type car (which is not the image I am going for). Someone stated in an earlier post "that maybe my pockets outgrew the max", this is true to some extent but I like to drive what is appealing to me. There is nothing wrong with the Max (other than Nissan srevice) but sometimes I feel I should not buy out the car after the lease and just move on to something different... not better but different.

Maybe I should have titled my post "Do You Feel You Are Getting To Old For A Maxima".

I am ashamed to admit it, but sometime I get mixed up in that stupid game of peer pressure. I recently got promoted to an officer at my job and most of my peers drives MBs, BMWs, Audis, Porsches etc...
So I think I am just being a typical Man.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:55 PM

I don't know about unique. For me 90% of the fun of driving is somewhere else than competitively 'beating other cars' or even knowing that I can. I'd be all down for a drag project car to satisfy the other 10%, but not a daily driver.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that the C5 was unique.. those things are like flies in WA. I guess what I was trying to say is that is why I chose to get a Z, it's hard to see one that's maintained and that is what's unique. The pitiful thing is that every owner of the 350Z that I've run into are ***** and think they're better than everyone else. I wouldn't even think about getting one of those until there is a turbo version out.
I'm not one to go out and pick on every car I know I can beat that's not what I'm about...
It's just extremely nice not having to worry that you don't have enough power.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:58 PM

M5.........coming soon