General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Cefiro One Piece Headlights Installed on the Maxie..(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Eye Dirty
As promised, here are the pics. Warning: they are quite huge.

Here's a pic of the light shining at a wall : Pic 1

Pic of the left lamp only (I blocked the rightside by standing infront of it) : Left. Right lamp.
Pic of the light output on the road
Pic of the light output in an alleyway

Pic of the light pattern on a wall about 100 ft away

Sorry for the grainy pics; I left my cam setting in auto forgetting that the nighttime setting was a flick of a thumbwheel away . However the pics demonstrate the clarity of the beam pattern, light output (H4 > 9004), and suitability for North American roads
good beam pattern
Old 07-20-2003, 01:19 PM

I really think you should settle down with your posts. Considering that you haven't seen them in person and this is obviously your 1st exposure to them.

The Cefiro housings emit an ECE-type beam pattern with a <15 degree flare TO THE RIGHT. There is a sharp cutoff. It is not as sharp as the light pattern emitted by a lowbeam projector lamp since a shield is used to define the pattern whereas free-form lights like the Cefiro housings rely solely on the reflector. At any rate, you can see a sharp horizontal line with a <15 degree incline to the RIGHT. I know because I own a pair. I understand that the only pics you are basing your pretentious posts are lamps retrofitted with mismatched HID units, but you are getting way ahead of yourself since you never seen "stock" Cefiro headlight beam patterns before.

I will take pics of the Cefiro pattern against the wall (the ones that will 0wN you), how far they shine down a dark residential road, and throw in some pics of 3000GT 9006-based low-beam projectors lit against the wall for beam pattern comparison(this was suppose to be my project since I like the z-beam pattern offered by projector lamps, but terminated the project because the Cefiro lamps are quite excellent).

Again, settle down because you will be 0wN3d.

Sin -
Old 07-20-2003, 07:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have pics w/ hid's. I'll post them when I get home.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:58 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Originally posted by Sin

Just something that tends to slip when you're "with the guys" I guess. I know plenty of girls that have to put up with being "one of the guys". I feel for you. But I'm sure you like it knowing you have a vast pool of guys to mack when you want to. Like most things, a trade off.
Just like the Cefiro headlamps, it is obvious that you know nothing about them, or me.

I'm done.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl
Passenger side:

I am going to keep this as short as i can. This, to me, is NOT fitting properly. Yes, you got them in, they sit there, they light up the road and if that is how you like it then great. But there are some things that should be said and shown when selling things that are made to fit but in reality do NOT. I have no interest in *****ing here, but this, like your m-bumper does not fit properly and is not anywhere near an hour long/bolt on modification that anyone can do.

I make this post to warn those of you about buying these headlights.. and I will make a very lengthy post about the m-bumper when my car is out of the shop. I have no intentions of bashing you or your body shop or anyone else affiliated. I will however show and tell people EXACTLY what they are going to have to deal with when ordering the bumper. I do not think of myself as some god prancing around this forum, but I know for a fact that a good majority of people listen to my advice because I am someone who is always trying new things. This is in NO way a threat, I am just letting you know that I am going to post about the bumper and what is all entailed in installing it, and I think you should do the exact same with these headlights.

And as a finishing statement, I am really surprised with how everything turned out in our business deal, especially considering I had to pay for the bumper after everything I am going to have to go through. I also am taking the bumper to another shop before hand to get a quote and estimate as proof it is not just my guy, to attest to the bumper and its fitament.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:33 PM

Here you go:
hid1
hid2
hid3
hid4
hid5

Again, Thanks for everything Ange.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:39 PM
Sin

As promised, here are the pics. Warning: they are quite huge.

Here's a pic of the light shining at a wall : Pic 1

Pic of the left lamp only (I blocked the rightside by standing infront of it) : Left. Right lamp.
Pic of the light output on the road
Pic of the light output in an alleyway

Pic of the light pattern on a wall about 100 ft away

Sorry for the grainy pics; I left my cam setting in auto forgetting that the nighttime setting was a flick of a thumbwheel away . However the pics demonstrate the clarity of the beam pattern, light output (H4 > 9004), and suitability for North American roads
So how do you plan on seeing highway signs? I guess you know exactly where you are going everytime you go out on roads with overhead signs huh? God, I'm so tired of arguing with people without proper SAE, DOT, E-Code, etc knowledge. THESE LIGHTS DO NOT CONFORM TO LEGAL REQUIREMENTS. IN DOING SO, THEY ARE ILLEGAL, AND WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS WHEN DRIVING AT NIGHT. ARGH!!! LOL

People, look at the pics. How do you plan on seeing overhead signs on our North American roadways, where our laws require that a certain beam of light, at a certain angle rises so that we light up those signs properly?
Old 07-20-2003, 09:48 PM
Sin

Just like the Cefiro headlamps, it is obvious that you know nothing about them, or me.

I'm done.
So let's update then shall we? Your lights are ILLEGAL for usage on any public road in North America. Your lights don't fit correctly. Nice gap. Looking sharp. They require FAR longer to install then you say. Gee, big surprise there with you marketing them and making them out to be so great that they bolt up in an hour.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:57 PM
Sin

Originally posted by Kashoggio
dude just shut up , see them yourself and then talk crap
Wow, how long did it take for you to come up with that one? I hope you didn't hurt that poor degenerate organ.

Buddy, do some reading. Get some brains up in there before you go mouthing off. When you actually learn about the physics of lighting systems, and the legalities in our jurisdictions, then come back with something more than useless blabber.

Honestly. The more and more I study the pics, the more problems I find. First it was the poor fitment. But I figured they were nice enough looking that one could get away with it. Then I find out that they are of a wrong beam pattern. GREAT! Now I notice that the grill is held on by straps of metal attached to the rad support. Gee, that's REAL trick.

C'mon Ange. Give me some more pics. I love finding all the ways they are wrong wrong wrong.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Sin

So how do you plan on seeing highway signs? I guess you know exactly where you are going everytime you go out on roads with overhead signs huh? God, I'm so tired of arguing with people without proper SAE, DOT, E-Code, etc knowledge. THESE LIGHTS DO NOT CONFORM TO LEGAL REQUIREMENTS. IN DOING SO, THEY ARE ILLEGAL, AND WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS WHEN DRIVING AT NIGHT. ARGH!!! LOL

People, look at the pics. How do you plan on seeing overhead signs on our North American roadways, where our laws require that a certain beam of light, at a certain angle rises so that we light up those signs properly?
so if she sells lights that don't pass DOT or SAE inspections, how does that affect you? I have qualm's with ange, but those pertain to me, you are arguing over something that doesn't affect you. Your comments have no bearing, you don't want the lights because the light output is bad then say that. Where is the need to go on and on and on and on and on and on about how illegal they are, is this giving you a chubby in your pants or something?

You did this same **** with my diamond plate floormat deal, you pointed out some asinine detail that no one cared about that ended up not being a big deal at all.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:15 PM
Sin

Originally posted by thebigsadler

so if she sells lights that don't pass DOT or SAE inspections, how does that affect you? I have qualm's with ange, but those pertain to me, you are arguing over something that doesn't affect you. Your comments have no bearing, you don't want the lights because the light output is bad then say that. Where is the need to go on and on and on and on and on and on about how illegal they are, is this giving you a chubby in your pants or something?

You did this same **** with my diamond plate floormat deal, you pointed out some asinine detail that no one cared about that ended up not being a big deal at all.
Don't get excited. I'm not trying to fight your fight for you. I had problems with the lights when I noticed that they were illegal because of their beam pattern. I just started personally mentioning the poor fitment and the usage of metal straps to hold the grill on.

You know what I have a problem with? People that put out products that cause problems. Problems such as slippery mats, poor lighting, poor fitment, lies by the seller.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by Sin

Don't get excited. I'm not trying to fight your fight for you. I had problems with the lights when I noticed that they were illegal because of their beam pattern. I just started personally mentioning the poor fitment and the usage of metal straps to hold the grill on.

You know what I have a problem with? People that put out products that cause problems. Problems such as slippery mats, poor lighting, poor fitment, lies by the seller.
You are the one person that ever has these off the wall issues.. let it go man. it bothers no one else but you, and if it bothers anyone else its because you bothered them enough about it.

just sit down and fight your own fights, dont worry about me.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by thebigsadler

You are the one person that ever has these off the wall issues.. let it go man. it bothers no one else but you, and if it bothers anyone else its because you bothered them enough about it.

just sit down and fight your own fights, dont worry about me.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:09 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Sin

I've been driving around with these lights for quite some time. In fact I do a lot of night time driving. If there are any problems with overhead illumination I would be the 1st one to point it out.

You don't even own a set. You've never seen them in person. Hell, you thought they were for RHD cars

First of all, a lot of modern Asian countries adopt ECE standards for lighting. If you must know, if the lighting equipment are not certified as ECE equipment it may be because they will not be found on vehicles for sale in Europe .

http://www.dslextreme.com/users/lewjay/vq/100 ft2.jpg

By your "logic" of seeing a defined line in the light pattern of the cefiro lamps as poor for overhead signs (easily inferred), are projector headlamps also CRAP when it comes to overhead signs due to the shielding of the light in the assembly? If so, please explain why projector lamps can be certified for N.A. roads.

In the above pic, I selected this location to illustrate the effectiveness of these lamps in pitch black conditions. For anyone who fears not being able to see overhead signs, take a look at that building-especially to the left. The top of the building I pointed my headlamps is illuminated. For any signs located on the center divider/median I never have any problems illuminating them, even if I am driving on the "slow" (outside) lane. It doesn't take much for roadway signs to reflect light.

And NO, I do not know exactly where I am going *all* the time. In California detours pop up without notice due to freeway maintenance, Highway Patrol investigations etc. I had to take a detour because they shut down the freeway for a death. However the majority of the time my commute does not alter from the norm and having superior frontal lighting over the crap 9004 I impatiently got rid of does nothing to have "legality issues" cross my mind. Why? I can see better.

Also, don't start with your its not "SAE/DOT" legal/certified crap. DOT/SAE is the most antiquated standard in the WORLD. People in N.A. have been retrofitting ECE "E-code" lamps unto their cars for their superior light performance for years. Companies have been Harmonizing ECE lamps for US roads for a few years already. Only until recently has the US NHSTA begun "studying" the idea of amending 50 year old standards due to the glare caused by lights designed for US/Canada/Mexico roads. What does that tell you? (Hint: We are behind). There are always tradeoffs and if you have to sacrifice a bit of overhead lighting for vastly superior frontal illumination I'm sure people will choose more light in the front and give up some light at the top.

Also go back and ask your "Forumula SAE friends" to confirm that both ECE and US (which Mexico and Canada adopts) have the same intensity minimum above the horizontal axis. This means that the ECE lamps *can* (I used "can" for several reasons) sufficiently light overhead signs. There are slight differences in intensity requirements with respect to specific zones that disqualify an "unmodified" ECE headlamp for certification in the US.

People, common sense is seriously lacking these days. Its great that Sin has reservations about the lamp due to the "legality" of these lamps, but as always take online info with a grain of salt, especially with those with absolutely no experience with the subject at hand. Use your judgement. If the US/DOT standards are so wonderful, how come you dont find any countries with cars using 9004 and 9007 -based headlights like the North American cars?

And you're "so tired of arguing with people without proper SAE, DOT, E-Code, etc knowledge."? Well, I hate arguing with people with NO 1ST HAND EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER. If you seen these lights in person, then thats one thing. But you're going off on lamps YOU'VE NEVER SEEN IN PERSON BEFORE! We don't have room for two 95emeraldgxe's!

I'm not going to waste any more time discussing regulations, "physics" road signs and ****.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:12 AM

...If the US/DOT standards are so wonderful, how come you dont find any countries with cars using 9004 and 9007 -based headlights like the North American cars?...
Good point.

After seeing SupaLao's pics, the proof is in the puddin'. If you buy these Cefiros, STICK WITH THE H4 BULBS.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:17 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Albertt

Good point.

After seeing SupaLao's pics, the proof is in the puddin'. If you buy these Cefiros, STICK WITH THE H4 BULBS.
Al,

I'm giving these some serious consideration. How about you?
Old 07-21-2003, 06:23 AM

I think they look tight as heck....lookin good. As for the replies of the beam pattern posted by Ange, she openly said it was her 9004 system..not the H4, and if anyone thinks that a 9004 has a good beam pattern, they should be booted from the org
Old 07-21-2003, 08:59 AM

I never lied about anything that I have sold or sell. That's the way I am as a person. That's the way I conduct business. Any photos I take and post up here are always 'as is' for a reason, so everyone who examines the pics can look at how they fit and make note of any imperfections before making any purchasing decisions. Heck, I even take my car to meets and show people how my products fit onto a Maxima and explain the process of the install.

I never said these headlamps are US legal or meet DOT standards. I've never said they are easy to install or they fit perfectly on 95-99 Maximas. I've never said HID is a must for anyone who is purchasing the headlamps from me. Some can spend $350 for a set of aftermarket (no high beam) H4 HID kit or they can do Hi/Lo H4 HID kit from elsewhere. Everyone has their own budget. As a matter of fact, I've posted two Maximas of these headlights installed, with the gap by the fender. That's why it's called a Cefiro Headlight Conversion. Supa Lao and Matthel has the same imperfections at the fender when they did their own install.

I never said the m-bumper is perfect fitment. I've sold out all 10 m-bumpers from the first production batch in June. Only Jason had major fitment issues with the bumper, and without going into details, I've tried my hardest to help Jason out. Obviously it is very difficult considering he and I are over 2000 miles apart.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by MaxWolf
I think they look tight as heck....lookin good. As for the replies of the beam pattern posted by Ange, she openly said it was her 9004 system..not the H4, and if anyone thinks that a 9004 has a good beam pattern, they should be booted from the org
Ange has an HID conversion kit made to fit into a 9004 housing (HB1). She somehow shoehorned it into her Cefiro lamps. But, all Cefiro lamps are made use the H4/9003 bulb.

I do agree with you on your last point though.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Al,

I'm giving these some serious consideration. How about you?
I'm giving it consideration. I plan on meeting with Ange sometime (gotta remember to bring her some kind of StarBucks thing) to look over the work that is required.

Actually, ever since SY showed me the Cefiro lamps years ago, I've been dreaming of the possibility of mounted these lamps on the front of a Maxima without having to swap on the entire front clip of an I30. Cost has always been an issue, and still is. Unlike most of the guys/gals on the .org, I shudder everytime I have to plop down more than $200 for my car. Call me cheap, or call me responsible, but I will also have to consider the price of doing this conversion.

Another thing is that I am concerned with the fit of the lamp with respect to the fender. When SY showed those lamps back then he also showed me a set that were two-piece. I want to see if I can buy a set of those and make them fit in a similar fashion to Ange's one-piece units. Hopefully, this would rid me of the fender to corner lamp fit issue.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:55 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Thanks for the comments, as I recalled your looking into that in detail in the past but couldn't recall your specific concerns.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:10 AM

I'm giving it consideration. I plan on meeting with Ange sometime (gotta remember to bring her some kind of StarBucks thing) to look over the work that is required.

Actually, ever since SY showed me the Cefiro lamps years ago, I've been dreaming of the possibility of mounted these lamps on the front of a Maxima without having to swap on the entire front clip of an I30. Cost has always been an issue, and still is. Unlike most of the guys/gals on the .org, I shudder everytime I have to plop down more than $200 for my car. Call me cheap, or call me responsible, but I will also have to consider the price of doing this conversion.

Another thing is that I am concerned with the fit of the lamp with respect to the fender. When SY showed those lamps back then he also showed me a set that were two-piece. I want to see if I can buy a set of those and make them fit in a similar fashion to Ange's one-piece units. Hopefully, this would rid me of the fender to corner lamp fit issue.
Did you ever complete the H4 Conversion? I'm looking to get rid of the 9004's all together. I also got rid of my HID's because of the complaints I got from my wife when driving behind her.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by deezo
Did you ever complete the H4 Conversion? I'm looking to get rid of the 9004's all together. I also got rid of my HID's because of the complaints I got from my wife when driving behind her.
Nope, sorry dude. I've been way too busy the past year. I was laid off in December, just started a new job a couple of weeks ago, and was going to school full time to complete my coursework. I'm also in the midst of writing my thesis so...

The H4 conversion is possible...at least in my mind and on paper. Basically what I was trying to do was to take a commercially available piece like this (please ignore the riceboyblue bulb in the pic):

...remove the glass lens, cut out a hole in the back of our stock headlamps and graft the H4 reflector and mounting base to our stock headlamp. Aesthetically speaking, it wouldn't look that much different, and functionally, you'd have a decent H4 beam pattern. There's a lot of trial fitting to do, and I just ran out of time. I also experimented with a 1998 Toyota Corolla headlamp reflector...managed to cut the reflector to shape, but I ran out of time when it came to putting it all together.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:14 PM

The H4 conversion is possible...at least in my mind and on paper
Did you envision this?

Old 07-21-2003, 02:43 PM

Albertt,
I still have TWO SETS of the two piece CEFIRO Headlights available in NJ
One set was reserved for ya... hehe...
Are you still in CT? or??
SY~
Old 07-21-2003, 04:51 PM

Nice Ange, keep up the good work.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:02 PM

Very nice... now if only there was a nice little two piece headlight kit...
Old 07-22-2003, 04:26 AM

Did you envision this?

I'm sorry, it's hard for me to tell what is it that you've done.

If you've completed what I was talking about, what did you use to secure the grafted H4 reflector to the Maxima housing?
Old 07-22-2003, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by SYCEFIRO

Albertt,
I still have TWO SETS of the two piece CEFIRO Headlights available in NJ
One set was reserved for ya... hehe...
Are you still in CT? or??
SY~
I'm still interested...I know I've been saying that for years now.

I'm no longer living in CT...took at job in Western NJ...but living in Bayside, NY.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:29 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

I would be all over these if there was a writeup describing the steps to install them. I hate the stock headlights but I can't drop $350 on something when I have no idea how the install is. Hopefully someone will do one soon and I can get rid of these crappy headlights!
Old 07-22-2003, 07:26 PM

If you've completed what I was talking about, what did you use to secure the grafted H4 reflector to the Maxima housing?
I made hybrid Maxima headlights using Corolla reflectors. To secure the reflector to the Maxima housing I used exoxy and generous amounts of silicone.

I'm sorry, it's hard for me to tell what is it that you've done.
That's the whole idea
Old 07-23-2003, 04:51 AM

I made hybrid Maxima headlights using Corolla reflectors. To secure the reflector to the Maxima housing I used exoxy and generous amounts of silicone.

That's the whole idea
Wow, it's kind of freaky how we both thought of using Corolla headlamps. I guess there aren't many cars out there with small enough HB2 headlamps. Back when I was making things fit, I thought of using 3mm machine screws and silicone to making it all go together. What type of epoxy did you use. The reflectors seem to be made of some kind of fiber reinforced thermoset...

Nice work.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Sin
If I could actually get indiglo gauges, designed as I chose, for $115, I'd be interested, keep me informed.

LOL, Sin talks alot of crap bout functionality mods, then says this. LOL Sin, ya keep getting owned!!
Old 07-23-2003, 08:09 PM

2 Piece Cefiro Headlight Is Available...

Just confirmed this with my supplier. If anyone is interested, please let me know. I just need 5 people on the TWO-Piece Cefiro headlamp groupdeal (Genuine OE Nissan Product).

See Linkie
Old 07-23-2003, 08:15 PM

TWO-Piece Cefiro Headlights Available...

Just confirmed this with my supplier. If anyone is interested, please let me know. I just need 5 people on the TWO-Piece Cefiro headlamp groupdeal (Genuine OE Nissan Product).

See Linkie
Old 07-23-2003, 08:45 PM

Re: TWO-Piece Cefiro Headlights Available...

See Linkie
do these have grill mount tabs?
Old 07-24-2003, 04:35 AM

Re: Re: TWO-Piece Cefiro Headlights Available...

Originally posted by Nismo

do these have grill mount tabs?
No, like the one piece design, they are for the Cefiro, which has a grille that is integral with the hood.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:43 AM

Re: 2 Piece Cefiro Headlight Is Available...

Are these on your car now? Is it difficult to get them alligned properly? What years of corollas have suitable headlights and how much would they cost from a junk yard? I would hate to cut up my headlights but it looks like there may be lots of used Maxima headlights for sale soon

See Linkie
Has anyone installed these yet (pics)? Is the headlight portion a direct replacement other than no place to attach the grill?
Old 07-24-2003, 11:01 AM

Re: Re: 2 Piece Cefiro Headlight Is Available...

Originally posted by Anachronism

Are these on your car now? Is it difficult to get them alligned properly? What years of corollas have suitable headlights and how much would they cost from a junk yard? I would hate to cut up my headlights but it looks like there may be lots of used Maxima headlights for sale soon
If EyeDirty did what I think he did, then there should be no problems mounting or aligning these grafted lamps. The modifications do not affect the mounting or volume envelope of the stock lamps. The Corolla headlamps I used to begin my project were off of a 1996 model. Just make sure that they are HB2 lamps with a clear lens and faceted reflector.

Has anyone installed these yet (pics)? Is the headlight portion a direct replacement other than no place to attach the grill?
The headlamp portion of the two-piece Cefiro set mounts on the same four bolt holes as the stock lamp. Besides the lack of grille mounts, it also features internal aiming, which means that there is no bracket (the black plastic framework that holds the stock headlamp).
Old 07-24-2003, 07:08 PM

Re: Re: 2 Piece Cefiro Headlight Is Available...

No, they are on my cousin's car. It was VERY difficult to align the reflectors while inside the Maxima casings before I bonded the reflectors permanently. After the reflectors are set I can I adjust them with the adjusting screws. In my case, cutting portions of the headlight bracket away was necessary for clearance. You can tell in the pic that a chunk was taken off the top for clearance. There are chunks taken away from the backside of the headlight bracket as well. The headlights are off a 1998 Corolla (the 1st year of the last generation Corolla). Both Corolla headlights cost me about $30. I was lucky to score some pristine condition lights but since you are going to butcher them up anyway, I would look into headlights with cracked lenses, mounting brackets/tabs, etc. Salvage yards will probably give them to you for free.

I would maybe look into the current generation Odyssey headlamps as donor lamps if a project like this interests you. I couldn't get a hold of one but they were of interest to me because from what I've seen on the road, the Odyssey lights seem to have the most powerful output of the lamps I looked that are similar in size to the Max's (Galants, Mirages, etc).

Quick Reply: Cefiro One Piece Headlights Installed on the Maxie..(pics)