General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What bike/ski rack do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 06:45 AM

What bike/ski rack do you have?

I have both a yakima roof rack and a cheap trunk mounted bike rack.
I hate the yakima cause it takes so long to put on and I don't like driving around with it when I am not using it.

The trunk rack is a lot better for the bike since I only use it once a week but it isn't very stable.

Is anyone using anything better?
Old 07-18-2003, 06:53 AM

I have the Yakima as well. I feel your pain about the hassel of on again off again. You cant do it yourself w/o scratching the rook either (at least I cant) I tried leaving it on, but I noticed a drop in gas mileage, like 2-3 mpg less. I also tried the trunk lid deal but the peddels ended up scratching my bumper. To be honest this stuff doesnt bother me anymore because with everything else that has happened to the car, I have come to grips with the fact that I am driving a $28,000.00 BEATER.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:25 AM

Re: What bike/ski rack do you have?

Originally posted by Canuck
I have both a yakima roof rack and a cheap trunk mounted bike rack.
I hate the yakima cause it takes so long to put on and I don't like driving around with it when I am not using it.

The trunk rack is a lot better for the bike since I only use it once a week but it isn't very stable.

Is anyone using anything better?
As for ski racks, try looking into Thule racks, they're top notch when it comes to roof racks.

For bikes, if you you don't have a hitch mounted underneath your bumper then I would suggest you get one from Drawtite , once you have that get a bike rack connect it to your trailer hitch and call it day, with the items mentioned above it will be difficult to scratch your paint.

Those trunk mounted bike racks are the worst.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:04 AM

The hitch solution is the best bet especially for us who have SE's.

Judging from previous experiences with roof racks (scratched roof) and trunk lid mounts (scratched trunk lids and bumpers), my ultimate solution is to get a beater pickup truck!
Old 07-18-2003, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by seegarman
The hitch solution is the best bet especially for us who have SE's.

Judging from previous experiences with roof racks (scratched roof) and trunk lid mounts (scratched trunk lids and bumpers), my ultimate solution is to get a beater pickup truck!
I would get a beater, but have a problem with carrying a bike worth more than the truck itself.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:21 AM

My brother just got a magnetic ski rack made by MOMO for his Saturn (the roof is metal on Saturns) and that little sucker (the rack) is rock solid on the car, it says it will hold to like 125mph or something. It wouldn't budge when rocking on it. He got it on Ebay for like 25 bucks brand new. It was pretty slick.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:13 AM

Were the magnets covered in felt or something? It seams like that would scratch the hell out of a roof. Nice concept. I’m thinking it is not a real MOMO product though because a shift **** can be $75.00+, you got a bike rack for $25 but hey, as long as it works and doesnt scratch everything up.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:35 AM

It was a brand new rack he bought, in the bright red and yellow MOMO box. It wasn't a knockoff, and if it is, someone spent alot of time and money putting this together. The magnets were coated in rubber. The only thing I could see as a weakness to this thing was if you have a sun roof, your going to have to sit the front of the rack in the middle of the roof. it probly won't work.
Heres a link to the first site I could find with a picture of it. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to see it.
http://www.upgrademotoring.com/clear...ance_index.htm