General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

differences between 93 & 94

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2001, 07:38 AM

All, first I'll apologise, I'm sure if I searched and searched I'd find this info amongst the boards, but please allow me a little slack. My 16 year old totaled the 93 Max that I'd had..all of 21 days...on Wednesday night. I worked 12 hours yesterday capping it off with a 3 hour meal that set the company back about $700 (for 5) and walked in the door last night about 11:30. Heading to Atlanta Thurs-Sun of this week to work the Home Show..and amongst all this..I need to be car shopping and my days on the rental are already counting. :-(( At least my question/concerns about driving my '93 to Atlanta isn't a question anymore. :-)

I spent an hour or so last night looking around on the net finding Maxima's. Sometimes there is a big jump in price over the '93 for a '94, sometimes not. Some of the prices I've seen at dealers seem ludicrous even for a '91. There is the VTC issue I need to fully understand and there's that difference in the engines around '93, correct. I would really appreciate some quick, in a nutshell differences that I should be considering while I"m trying to compare the cars and prices. Is there a big advantage jumping to a '94, or if I liked my '93, is the '91 about the same?

Any comments are appreciated. As the guys know on the 3rd board, a friend totalled my cherokee last week of December so this is the 2nd time in a little over 30 days that I have dealing with insurance companies and car buying. It "ain't" fun, I tell you. Thanks much!

-L
Old 02-04-2001, 03:27 PM
STFU n00b!

here's your nutshell.

89-91, all the same. SE/GXE had some small differences, but both had the same engine. expect to rebuild a tranny soon, if it hasn't been done already.

92-94 GXE was essentially the same as the 89-91 models, but a few minor changes here and there. the big difference is that they changed something in the tranny so it's MUCH more reliable. I have only seen a few people have to rebuild a 92+ tranny. and those people all either tried to destroy it (6k rpm neutral drops everyday for months), or rebuilt it because they wanted to (Kaleb).

the 92-94SE has another tranny, again reliable.
they also have the VE engine with 190hp, instead of all other 3rd gens VG engine with 160hp. the 92 and most of the 93 models have the VTC issue... expect to fix them before 110k miles if they haven't been done already..
the late 93s and all 94 were supposedly free from this problem, as nissan changed their design slightly and the VTC problem isn't there.

that's about your only differences in drivetrain.. the rest are jsut cosmetic- like shiny wheels, chrome grille, interior options, airbags, small stuff like that.
Old 02-04-2001, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
here's your nutshell.
Now come on over for chicken friend steak, creamed potatoes, biscuit and gravy...or if you don't like southern food, maybe you'd rather have the no bake chocolate cookies I just made while cooking dinner. As always Matt, much appreciated, thats the nutshell I was hoping for.
Old 02-04-2001, 05:59 PM

GXE's made after 7/93 (you have to check the mfg. date on the door post of the car) have a different timing belt and pullies than the earlier cars, and only have to have the belt changed every 100,000 miles, instead of every 60,000. I think that the exhaust studs are also supposed to be stronger (a broken exhaust stud may have been the reason for the noise you heard for the first few minutes after starting the car). For the fewest headaches, I'd go for a 94 GXE. For those of us over 40, reliability is worth more than saving a second on the 0-60 time. It's also easier to find a GXE that hasn't been beat on.

I don't think kids should be driving cars until they are responsible enough for parents not to have to worry about them killing themselves, or someone else. Since they are minors, we're still responsible for their actions. They should also be paying for their own car and insurance.
My kid doesn't cut it on item #1, and doesn't even have a license yet. Living in a city with lots of public transportation means this isn't a big hardship.
Old 02-04-2001, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by brubenstein
GXE's made after 7/93 (you have to check the mfg. date on the door post of the car) have a different timing belt and pullies than the earlier cars, and only have to have the belt changed every 100,000 miles, instead of every 60,000. I think that the exhaust studs are also supposed to be stronger (a broken exhaust stud may have been the reason for the noise you heard for the first few minutes after starting the car). For the fewest headaches, I'd go for a 94 GXE. For those of us over 40, reliability is worth more than saving a second on the 0-60 time. It's also easier to find a GXE that hasn't been beat on.

Wow, you have a great memory if you remember the noise I heard while engine was cold... :-) My '93's engine was manufactured in 8/92 so yes, since I was completely clueless on the cars history, I knew I needed that belt changed soon as it had 126K on it. And hey now..I've only been 40 for about 39 days...I want reliability AND a few seconds shaved off that 0-60. :-) I'm just BSing, as I hope you know..I don't give a rats butt about 0-60, I just want to be able to pull out in front of a mac truck and not go "oh "f" I bet he hates me!!!!"..like I did the first time I drove a 4 cylinder. :-) And...hmmm..I am talking with a guy here about his 94...are you his brother and know that already? <very big grin> The 18 hour drive back home is the only drawback. :-( I would try to find someone to drive it here for me..but I think I've had about all I can STAND of letting someone else drive a vehicle that I have insured..lol.
I don't think kids should be driving cars until they are responsible enough for parents not to have to worry about them killing themselves, or someone else. Since they are minors, we're still responsible for their actions. They should also be paying for their own car and insurance.
My kid doesn't cut it on item #1, and doesn't even have a license yet. Living in a city with lots of public transportation means this isn't a big hardship.

Well..mine must not "get it" yet, because he's still talking about driving..and pointed out a vehicle he wants me to get him....if I go "cheaper" on something else for me..and leave him some money out of the insurance settlement. He just doesn't seem to understand..that as a single parent with a great need for reliable transportation and little knowledge of automotives to fix anything myself..I have to get the best, most reliable car I can afford..using every penny I get. You know the saddest part is that..except on a few occasions..when I insisted on him pulling over out of fear of dying because we were literally fighting (verbal) in the car over a correction I was trying to make, his driving was nothing to complain about. His defiance at those rare times was enough that I should have yanked all driving at that point, I know that. And I am mad at him too..because there are times that his driving could really help me out, but at this point, I don't know that there would be any lesson learned if I only let him drive when it was convenient for me and that is..if the insurance would even let him on the policy now.

Thanks for your response..and Matt.to you again also.
Old 02-04-2001, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
here's your nutshell.

...the 92 and most of the 93 models have the VTC issue... expect to fix them before 110k miles if they haven't been done already..
the late 93s and all 94 were supposedly free from this problem, as nissan changed their design slightly and the VTC problem isn't there.

Actually All the 92-94 SE's are prone to VTC Failure. I have a 94 with 90k on it and my VTC's are on the way out. I thought I would be OK with my 94 as long as I used good Oil and maintained the engine properly, but I still got hit with that damn tick tick tick.....AHHHHH!!!

But other than that Matt has got it down! He is a MaxiMaster