General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Trying to convince my dad that mods arent bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 06:49 PM

Trying to convince my dad that mods arent bad

Today I was browsing maxima.org and my dad saw me looking at a modified maxima. And he said " Do you think that car can drive from NYC to Florida? ", I was like " Ya sure why not".

He believes that the car is best tuned from the company and that adding aftermarket parts will destroy the engine. Since he knows a guy at his work who owns a heavily moded acura integra ( turbo, racing transmission, etc ) and the car breaks down all the time.

When I get my max for x-mas I can just see the arguments coming about me adding a intake.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just do stuff that he wont know about

You could get intake and y pipe and he wouldn't know the difference as long as you dont floor it in your driveway or neighborhood
Old 07-28-2003, 07:25 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

just explain that a turbo is not an intake.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:58 PM

mod are bad..
Old 07-28-2003, 08:15 PM

wait till he see's the bill on his credit card for $3000+ for a stillen supercharger, and wait till the UPS man delievers it... priceless moment.. be sure to picture his face for us
Old 07-28-2003, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by s0ber
wait till he see's the bill on his credit card for $3000+ for a stillen supercharger, and wait till the UPS man delievers it... priceless moment.. be sure to picture his face for us
HA!, that would be the day and prolly the end of my car.

He would get more mad if I would try and rice out my car. Get a loud abnoxious exhaust and a wing that belongs on drag racer
Old 07-28-2003, 08:34 PM

in a way, mods are bad in that they do put a bit more wear and tear on the motor, and on top of that, most people drive their cars harder just to hear the noise
Old 07-28-2003, 09:45 PM

A friend of mine had a supercharged 98 Mustang GT running close to 450 rwhp. His parents never even had a clue. They always wondered what the whining noise was (the supercharger). He told them that he had a bad power steering pump. So its definately possible to mod your car and not have your dad know. Just do all the work at friends' houses. My friend's parents did eventually find out, when he t-boned an off duty cop at about 70 mph and totalled his car. Moral of the story- dont charge all your car parts on credit cards, because insurance wont pay for any of it unless you tell them about it. He was stuck with 10k in cred card debt and no car.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:53 PM

well. despite his ignorance, as long as you live at his house, it is his party. especially if he bought the car for you. it is not really your car. not really. it is like a proxy car.

move out.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:09 PM

tell them they give you better gas mileage.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:52 PM

mods

If your not paying for the car, I think it would be wise to do what the person with the $$ wants. Just my .02
Old 07-28-2003, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
in a way, mods are bad in that they do put a bit more wear and tear on the motor, and on top of that, most people drive their cars harder just to hear the noise
True and not true.

If you have mods, AND don't drive hard all the time, AND maintain it regularly, then the car will last just as long as any "stock" car.

The manufacturers on a Sedan like ours try and balance power with smooth ride and quietness. You can sacrafice any one of these things for another to make the car better in your preferred category.

Some people on this board add a ton of Dynomat and alot of Electronics to make the car quieter and more like a luxury car. This however sacrifices performace because of added weight.

Others adjust the suspension, and thereby sacrifice the ride quality for better handling.

Still others strip all sound deadening from their car, add loud modifications (SC/Exhaust/CAI/etc) that cause the car to no longer be quiet, but gain power. As for gas mileage, many mods allow the engine to run more efficiently (but yes, louder) and actually improve gas mileage. Others (like a SC) do reduce it.

It's all about whether you can take the responsibility and accept the sacrifice.

Explain to your Dad that you are simply tailoring the car to your taste, as the car was built to please a large demographic. Because that is the truth behind modding and how cars are designed from the factory.

Corvettes are loud and rough riding. That's because their demographic is sports car drivers that don't mind sacrificing weight and smooth ride for handling and power. The designers knew this when they made the car.

The Maxima originally was meant for the late 20's early 30's professional who wanted something they could take their boss to lunch in, but still have a little power without sacrificing ride or noise levels too much.

I'm up to 285hp at the wheel, and I could easily drive from Alaska to Florida and back and not worry about a thing. I would probably get 1 oil change along the way, but who wouldn't?

I just drove from Phoenix to Seattle and back a few months ago, and the car's extra power literally saved my life at one point. (A Semi in LA almost merged right into me, but I was able to floor it and get out of the squeeze point quick).

Mod's are NOT bad, it's a complete myth. It's all about how responsible the driver is, as with any car.

If anything, these things help the engine run more efficiently. Tune it and install your mods properly and maintain it and DON'T "drive it like you stole it", and you'll be fine.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:36 PM

iansw,

preach brotha.

i support you.

you speak the truth.

-bonzelite
Old 07-28-2003, 11:51 PM

Heh - I did go off on a little rant there, didn't I?

Old 07-29-2003, 12:08 AM

hey. you gotta do that sometimes. i do it. at the risk of getting flamed, too. you got your eggs in an order and all of that.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:23 AM
THX
Hallelujah

One advantage of an aftermarket intake is the reusable-washable filter. Tell him it will save money in the long run. If you got a Y and an intake I see no big problem, they are the easiest bolt-ons and can be replaced to stock in under an hour if he gets in a fit.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:15 AM
It's chrome alright...

but whatever you do, if you add mods DO NOT HIDE THEM from him. If he finds out you did a y-pipe, you're screwed.

do the easy stuff...intake, lights, tint, sway bar, sound system...if you're thinking of adding a turbo then DO NOT get a maxima for christmas.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:31 AM

thanks for all the advice guys

And I am not planning on getting a turbo. The y-pipe is a big maybe because of all the emission problems, I know I have read the threads where people pass by driving their car for like 30 mins and pass but some people dont.

This is what im planning on getting

Frankencar intake w/apexi filer (or K&N)
HID Conversion kit
Ebay front strut bar
PIAA white bulbs
NGK Spark plugs ( or Denso )

Thats about it for starters since I will have about 700 bucks to spend for the goods. I do want tints aswel but that will be later on when I get more money.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:48 AM

I passed emmissions without issure with aftermarket Fuel Management, fulle exhaust, and a SuperCharger installed.

Actually, I passed BETTER than I had the year before before I started modding somehow.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:04 AM

i just put on a ebay popcharger wannabe thing... sounds cool.. does it do much? I dont think so.. heh
Old 07-30-2003, 08:13 PM

As for performance, just don't tell them and do it at a friends house or in a pepboys parking lot like I did my fstb if its an easy enough mod. As for the cosmetic ones, I just did them and didn't tell them. They didn't even notice my clear corners till I told them and they didn't care about the tint since it wasnt too dark. Originally they wouldn't let me get tint but I just did a few months later and didn't tell them. You'd be surprised how little most parents know about cars. Especially if yours thinks that mods are really bad for the car