General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Which parts / extra work is needed for clutch replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 04:51 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Which parts / extra work is needed for clutch replacement?

I have the pressure plate, disc and throw out bearing.

What else should be replaced while the mechanic is in there?

For some reason I ossumed that I need the "rear main seal" replaced and told him that, which he said is an extra 75$ due to some sort of modification or extra work required.

But I mixed it up, and what needs to be replaced is the "gasket" between the engine and tranny, correct? What is this thing called extactly?

Anything else that needs to be done? perhaps the axle seals? Car has well over 100k miles but I never had any leaks.

thank you
Old 07-29-2003, 05:03 PM
I'm needing a caw

Pilot shaft bearing but I really doubt it. Never really wears out. Rear main seal would be a good idea. It's the seal that attached behind the flywheel. It's purpose is to keep the oil around the crankshaft from spilling out from that end of the engine. Same idea as the front crank shaft seal(right behind the crank pulley). Just the rear end version of it.

Remember to get the flywheel resurfaced properly.

Both axle seals should be changed. Cheap and easy to do. Check the cv joints, tie rods ends, lower ball joints.

Don't you want a Fidanza?? Damn good time to do this and I have them in stock.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:12 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Pilot shaft bearing but I really doubt it. Never really wears out. Rear main seal would be a good idea. It's the seal that attached behind the flywheel. It's purpose is to keep the oil around the crankshaft from spilling out from that end of the engine. Same idea as the front crank shaft seal(right behind the crank pulley). Just the rear end version of it.

Remember to get the flywheel resurfaced properly.

Both axle seals should be changed. Cheap and easy to do. Check the cv joints, tie rods ends, lower ball joints.

Don't you want a Fidanza?? Damn good time to do this and I have them in stock.

Thanks Jeff,

thanks for the offer I was waiting for you to make
Yes, I'd very much like a Fidanza but have to decide against it for now.

So I suppose the rear main seal is not a neccessity? But I should still have them change the gasket, right?

As far as axles, tie rod ends and lower ball joints.. I believe one of these things is bad as I get some slight knocking/pinging noise and feel it in the steering wheel as I ride over bumps.. can't be the struts and the other components on them as they are brand new.. I was hoping to check the parts you mentioned myself.. these things don't require as much work to change right?
Old 07-29-2003, 05:44 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hmmm I would change the rear main seal to be safe. The suspension stuff should be alot easier to deal with as they are down there anyway