General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need help ASAP {I think I messed my car up bad!!}

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 11:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Before I say whats wrong with my I30 I will first tell you what I did {I am such a moran some times!}. I got stuck on my driveway coming home tonight {in the snow} and being inpatient like I am I floored my car in first between 4-6.5K rpm for about 5 minutes straight basically pealing out trying to get up the driveway {which I did acomplish}. Now my car seems to have several things the matter with it,the most roubling thing is a ruff idle{the car shakes even though the tack stay level},and the other problem is my ABS light came on,I ran a diagnostic on the ABS and came up with code #'s 21 and 26 which indacates front right sensor {open circuit} and front left sensor {short circuit}. Anyways do you thing I messed up my engine doing this rediculass stunt I pulled tonight or what? Fortunatly I have a 98 I 30 with only 39K miles miles,which has a 4 year 60K mile bumper to bumper warranty and I will get a 2K1 I30 rental. But now I have to take my y-pipe off and cat-back exaust,put back my NGK spark plugs and air intake so my car will be stock except for the suspension which I don't think will cause a problem{or will it?}. So please tell me what you think and yep I know I was very,very stupid tonight and I allready heard it from my parents. Thanks a ton for any input on what you think the problem is!
Old 02-06-2001, 02:41 AM

I did something like this on my last car, and everytime it rained after that, after about 10 minutes of driving in the rain the ABS light would light up. It also went off if I went above first exactly 85 MPH, then as time went on, 75 MPH even thought it wasn't raining. My concern for your car is not the brakes nor the tires, but the transmission. By running the engine/tranny combo that fast without any appreciable air movement or cooling, you may have ended up dangerously overheating your tranny. My suggestion? Let it cool overnight, and check to see if it reoccurs tomorrow. No clue why the engine would be like that, it shouldn't really care if its running at idle at 6000 or moving at 6000.Either way, change the tranny fluid ASAP. Good luck dude.
Old 02-06-2001, 05:08 AM
Johnny

see my heh heh post

Originally posted by emax95
Before I say whats wrong with my I30 I will first tell you what I did {I am such a moran some times!}. I got stuck on my driveway coming home tonight {in the snow} and being inpatient like I am I floored my car in first between 4-6.5K rpm for about 5 minutes straight basically pealing out trying to get up the driveway {which I did acomplish}. Now my car seems to have several things the matter with it,the most roubling thing is a ruff idle{the car shakes even though the tack stay level},and the other problem is my ABS light came on,I ran a diagnostic on the ABS and came up with code #'s 21 and 26 which indacates front right sensor {open circuit} and front left sensor {short circuit}. Anyways do you thing I messed up my engine doing this rediculass stunt I pulled tonight or what? Fortunatly I have a 98 I 30 with only 39K miles miles,which has a 4 year 60K mile bumper to bumper warranty and I will get a 2K1 I30 rental. But now I have to take my y-pipe off and cat-back exaust,put back my NGK spark plugs and air intake so my car will be stock except for the suspension which I don't think will cause a problem{or will it?}. So please tell me what you think and yep I know I was very,very stupid tonight and I allready heard it from my parents. Thanks a ton for any input on what you think the problem is!

Old 02-06-2001, 12:51 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Well,

Those are the consequences for your stupidity. I don't know what may be wrong with the car. Didn't it occur to you that you would probably have to think of an alternative to get your car unstuck? Like shovel some snow. Damn man, that's a freakin new car, and your ruining it. Sorry, I have no pity for stupidity. I hope your car is ok though.

[Edited by NickStam on 02-06-2001 at 03:32 PM]
Old 02-06-2001, 01:04 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i have to agree here. got a good nice looking car and just messed it up...maybe the dealer will fix it. but i have no pity for stupidity.

Originally posted by NickStam
Well,

Those are the consequences for your stupidity. I don't know what may be wrong with the car. Didn't it occur to you that you would probably have to think of an alternative to get your car unstuck? Like shovel some snow. Damn man, that's a freakin new car, and your ruining it. Sorry, I have to pity for stupidity. I hope your car is ok though.
Old 02-06-2001, 01:27 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Well....

emax,

You know better and I'm sure you know you know better.....

Consider yourself damn lucky that you have an Inifiniti and NOT a Maxima. Otherwise you would be screwed.....Nissan would tell you to take a flying leap in a Max....

Definitely get it back to as stock as possible (don't mention the struts as that's difficult to notice anyway) and just tell them what's wrong and don't admit to doing anything out of the ordinary....
Old 02-06-2001, 01:45 PM

dunno man i dont think even i am that stupid or crazy..
and

im pretty retarded
Old 02-06-2001, 01:52 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Probably nothing is wrong-->

let the car sit and see if the light is still on tomorrow. You might got some snow stuck near the abs sensor and shorted out or something. Worst case senario is you have to replace your ABS sensor. Talk to a infinity tech he might tell you what's really wrong.
Old 02-06-2001, 02:08 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'm pretty sure you completely destroyed your LSD. The LSD clutch packs aren't made to handle the load of high rpm runs at full use for 5 minutes. When Infiniti techs dig into your tranny they will see that the tranny fluid and clutches are burnt and will most likely say you inflicted the damage (which you did). The ABS problem is likely from overuse too. Chances are the ABS sensors were working "overtime" to try and keep the traction control system in check. You may have warped your rotors too since the ABS was operating the brakes and you kept at it for nearly 5 minutes.

As for the stumble. I would disconnect your battery overnight and see what happens. Stranger things have happened. A month ago, my dad came out to his 96 Tahoe after work and put it into drive. The truck would barely accelerate all the way home. I talked to GM tech who told me the tranny had put itself into "limp home mod" and the tranny was locked in 3rd gear. My dad never abused the truck nor towed with it. I told him to disconnect the battery and wait overnight. Guess what? The problem disappeared.

Dave
Old 02-06-2001, 03:20 PM
dot dot dot ...

Come on guys don't be so darn hard on emax man! We've all done stupid things...so I understand....just hope for the best. My friend has a 98 Grand Prix GT(non s/c) and blew the tranny from neutral dropping it and the dealer fixed it b/c of the warranty and the dealer also stated 'none of it was his fault'.......kinda cool.....I too have neutral dropped in my previous 97 Grand Am trying to race and beat Maximaz and all I gained was loose a** motor mounts and 2-3 trips to the dealer cuz the acc. belts had torn due to the engine moving radically and eating them up. I went through 3 sets of belts and each time they didn't suspect anything was wrong........well the last time they got a little suspicious but then 2 months after I totalled it and got my max!!!!! Point is the dealer may not snap to what had happened.....so it should be aight emax!!!
Old 02-06-2001, 03:29 PM

I dunno about you guys! You do stupid things to your car and then expect the dealer to pay for your stupidity. Then when some of us have legitimate problems, they dealer is suspicious because of your dumb *** actions.
Old 02-06-2001, 05:02 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

haahaa!! we're on the same page here.
now u guys know why dealers denied service for some of you guys regarding warranty issues.

Originally posted by NickStam
I dunno about you guys! You do stupid things to your car and then expect the dealer to pay for your stupidity. Then when some of us have legitimate problems, they dealer is suspicious because of your dumb *** actions.
Old 02-06-2001, 05:28 PM

I see it all too much and it pisses me off.
Old 02-06-2001, 06:16 PM

All thats wrong with your ABS is that there is some snow clogged in the sensor. This happened to Erock this winter when I moved his car out of my driveway to get to work in 4" of snow, which in Oklahoma, is a natural disaster. His light stayed on until it warmed up a little and he powerwashed his wheels real good. As far as the rough idle, I have no clue.
Old 02-06-2001, 07:08 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words and input haha,

Well the ABS light shut off after driving the car for about 15 seconds so thats all good! As for the rough idle I believe it has something to do with spark plugs I put in yesterday that I took out off my max. I did not even drive the car with the new{used} spark plugs until last night in which time I noticed a rough idle,so I think the idle is just a little off because of the used plugs I took out of my Max{Denso Iridium}. Tomarrow I will get some nice brand spankin new NGK plugs from my local dealer and I think that will fix the minor problem I experienced last night.

Heres what the idle does,it starts right up no problem and after about 10 minutes when it warms up the needle slowly drops down to 600 RPM's but then about every 15 seconds it will dip down to 500RPM's and give the car a little vibration which is amplified by my exaust setup. So what do you think probably just the plugs I put in? I did not check the gap on them because they were in the max for only 5K miles so I figured it would be all right but I am beginning to believe other wise. P.S. next time I will leave my car on street{and pray to the plow gods}. Ohh yeah to address the comment "why did'nt you plow", I snow blowed for a hour and then even shoveled for a 1/2 hour,but since I have a gravale driveway you cant plow all the snow from the driveway.
Old 02-06-2001, 07:17 PM

Hmmm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave B
[I]I'm pretty sure you completely destroyed your LSD. The LSD clutch packs aren't made to handle the load of high rpm runs at full use for 5 minutes. When Infiniti techs dig into your tranny they will see that the tranny fluid and clutches are burnt and will most likely say you inflicted the damage (which you did). The ABS problem is likely from overuse too. Chances are the ABS sensors were working "overtime" to try and keep the traction control system in check. You may have warped your rotors too since the ABS was operating the brakes and you kept at it for nearly 5 minutes.

What you say here troubles me. I don't believe I did anything to the LSD because for 1 would'nt I have smelled something burning or see smoke? Also I floored it earlier today and the LSD seemed just as affective as before in the wet streets{a lot better then my Max}. But say if I truely did damge something in LSD how would I find out {I did not get a check engine light}. BTW my rotors and whole break system work just fine and I highly dought I damaged any thing in my car at this point. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-06-2001, 07:40 PM

curious...

what are some of the effects if you past redline revving while in neutral? my girlfriend did this to my car.
Old 02-06-2001, 07:59 PM

The car won't go past redline in Neutral,

because of the fuel cut off. The only way I have been able to get it up to 8K RPMS is jamn it in 2nd at about 100 woooh what a rush haha just joking! But if you did what I said above you could kiss your engine good buy. As for reving in Nuetral it's fine as long as the engine is warm. If it's cold it's not a good idea to do.
Old 02-06-2001, 08:19 PM

interesting...

i just learned something new. i never knew that when your in neutral you couldnt go past redline. so when you power shift, as long as you dont go past redline in gear, once you hit the clutch, you wont past redline?
Old 02-06-2001, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by NmexMAX
Come on guys don't be so darn hard on emax man! We've all done stupid things...so I understand....just hope for the best. My friend has a 98 Grand Prix GT(non s/c) and blew the tranny from neutral dropping it and the dealer fixed it b/c of the warranty and the dealer also stated 'none of it was his fault'.......kinda cool.....I too have neutral dropped in my previous 97 Grand Am trying to race and beat Maximaz and all I gained was loose a** motor mounts and 2-3 trips to the dealer cuz the acc. belts had torn due to the engine moving radically and eating them up. I went through 3 sets of belts and each time they didn't suspect anything was wrong........well the last time they got a little suspicious but then 2 months after I totalled it and got my max!!!!! Point is the dealer may not snap to what had happened.....so it should be aight emax!!!
I hate to ask stupid questions but what is neutral dropping? A little off topic but is it ok to put the car in N (automatic tranny)while waiting at a stop light?
Old 02-06-2001, 10:53 PM

I think what he means by Neutral dropping is

also known *** a bomb drop.A bomb drop is when you floor your car in nuetral{say 6K rpms} and smack it into drive and the car will peal out all over the place and in time you will destroy your transmission,actually rather quickly.
Old 02-07-2001, 05:28 AM

Putting a car, with an auto, in neutral at lights is a good thing. Sitting with the car in gear and your foot on the brake, to keep it from moving, causes the tranny to heat up. Heat is what kills a tranny, and why stop and go driving is considered "severe use". Of course, if you give it gas and then put it in gear (neutral drop), you'll just break the thing.
BTW, I've been doing this for 30 years and never lost a tranny. Engines yes, tranny no.
Old 02-07-2001, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by brubenstein
Putting a car, with an auto, in neutral at lights is a good thing. Sitting with the car in gear and your foot on the brake, to keep it from moving, causes the tranny to heat up. Heat is what kills a tranny, and why stop and go driving is considered "severe use". Of course, if you give it gas and then put it in gear (neutral drop), you'll just break the thing.
BTW, I've been doing this for 30 years and never lost a tranny. Engines yes, tranny no.
I never really paid attention to the fact that I put the car in Neutral at stop lights, I just became used to doing this until I read this thread and thought that I was doing something bad to my tranny but I am relieved to know that what I doing was actually a good thing. As far as neutral dropping.....I love my car too much to risk damaging it like that, I actually neutral dropped once without even knowing....I was at a stop light and I had the car in N....when the light turned green I accelerated and the car did not move then I threw into D and I peeled out like ****.
Old 02-07-2001, 07:57 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: The car won't go past redline in Neutral,

it doesn't mean that you can't go past redline. if you're going and if u miss a shift or something..by the time the computer shuts off the fuel you're already in the meat of the red.

Originally posted by emax95
because of the fuel cut off. The only way I have been able to get it up to 8K RPMS is jamn it in 2nd at about 100 woooh what a rush haha just joking! But if you did what I said above you could kiss your engine good buy. As for reving in Nuetral it's fine as long as the engine is warm. If it's cold it's not a good idea to do.
Old 02-07-2001, 08:16 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Emax-

To test the LSD, make a turn from a stop on a slick street and floor it in 1st. If your inside tire continues to spin dramatically, then you've got no more LSD. If the LSD is working, the tire should "slow down" and you should accelerate better. Chances are you really would not have smelled the LSD burn up because the clutches are very small. Lots of F-Body and Mustang guys burn up their LSDs quite quickly because they overuse them. Remember that the tire will spin regardless because the LSD will only divert about 25% of the power slipping tire hence "limited slip". If your LSD is toast, then your car will operate like a normal Maxima (ie no LSD). Even if everything is okay, I suggest changing the tranny fluid ASAP and DO NOT USE Redline fluid. Stick with the factory stuff. Redline might not work well with the LSD clutches. Running a car at high rpm at stand still at minutes at a time is no good.

I had a buddy do the same exact thing in his Grand Prix (auto) and he ended up blowing up the tranny. He thought it was cool that he was going no where while the speedo said 100mph. 3 minutes later the torque converter puked taking everything with it.

Dave