General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Another gasoline thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 11:05 AM

Another gasoline thread

I have tried numerous brands of 93 octane gasoline and found huge variances in performance and pinging. Shell seems to run horrible and pings the most. Mobil's performance seems good, but the car still pings. Amoco has great performance and only pings slightly when the A/C is on and usually driven hard. Sunoco 94 is without a doubt the best performance with absolutely no pinging. I talked to a couple of guys I worked with seperately and asked them what brand of gas they use because I remembered them complaining about pinging in their Harley's. Both said without hesitation "Sunoco 94". I used to have a link to someone on the org doing some tests and Sunoco showed little deposit compared to Shell and some others. Can someone educate me and give me some reasons as to why some gas is better than others for performance and pinging? Sunoco isn't conveinient for me while just about all others are.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:32 AM
Who?

my mechanic told me that shell over-proofs it gas. i.e. 93 octane rated shell gas isn't actually 93 rated but something less. never really noticed anything like that with shell, but i'm also stock and i don't have advanced timing.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:37 AM
It's chrome alright...

I think it's all in your head, but I'm curious to see others' replies.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:05 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I notice no difference in performance no matter what gas I use. Even 89 octain runs great and I've never heard my car ping.

But my favorits are:
(not in any order)

Amoco
Exxon/Mobil
Texaco
Sunoco 94 (WAYYYY TO EXPENSIVE)

And best yet and my favorite is the hole in the wall no name guy on the hill who sells 93 octain for 1.15/Gal
Old 07-31-2003, 12:15 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

My car pings almost continously with a/c on or when its hot outside crusin on the fwy about 75-80 mph. I usually use 91 Chevron premium exclusively.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:27 PM
I'm needing a caw

Uh wha? Since it costs $ to get gas to a higher octane level, please explain why ANYONE would purposely rate their gas octane LOWER? Especially when you have to sell it for the octane you list it at.

Originally posted by jakew8
my mechanic told me that shell over-proofs it gas. i.e. 93 octane rated shell gas isn't actually 93 rated but something less. never really noticed anything like that with shell, but i'm also stock and i don't have advanced timing.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:33 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

There is no Sunoco in my area. I use Amoco (well, now it's BP). All premium here is 93 octane.

A few years ago BMW did a study and at that time, the Amoco fuel tested the best. I can't remember all the details, but that's what I've been using since.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:35 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Octane ratings are measured and monitored at the pump by the Federal Government.

I really don't think gas companys would incorrectly rate their fuel. The risk of getting caught wouldn't be worth it. Your mechanic has old school myths still stuck in his head.

Suggestion, find a new mechanic.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by maximadave
My car pings almost continously with a/c on or when its hot outside crusin on the fwy about 75-80 mph. I usually use 91 Chevron premium exclusively.
Your car shouldn't be doing that. You prolly have a vacuum leak leaning out your afr.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:01 PM

Sort of on topic, think it would be worth getting Sunoco 94 in the car before goin racing at the drags again? I always use 93, but would it be worth the extra money for the 94 just for a night? Guess the only real way to tell is to actually do it, but what do you guys think?
Old 07-31-2003, 01:47 PM
Who?

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Uh wha? Since it costs $ to get gas to a higher octane level, please explain why ANYONE would purposely rate their gas octane LOWER? Especially when you have to sell it for the octane you list it at.
yes, yes the octane rating probaly is correct. his evidence, whatever it means, not to use it is that his and the other guy in the shop's cars (both subarus) are timed right to the brink on BP 93 premium, never pings, but when shell is in there they do ping. seems like something is fishy.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:31 PM

I know what you mean

.....and that's why I always go for Mobil 1 or Chevron 93. After 4-5 fill ups, I usually switch down to 89 to clean out the deposits, before going to 93 again.

You guys might tell me it's all in my head only, but I know one person who has a Cobra (the original one) and he is very particular about the gas he put into his tank. His cobra engine takes nothing less than 91. He always puts 93, but it varies from one brand to another (pinging wise).

I drive about 20k per year (or more) and I even notice that pumps shut off valve varies from one pump to another. I now always use THAT particular pump from THAT particular place, and of course, THAT particular brand. I usually fill up about the same time everytime so that's why I notice the variance between one brand to another, one pump to another (at the same place), etc.

Sunoco 94 was sweared by several people who goes for autoX regularly here.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by maximadave
octane booster or come to the 76 over here in Newport fill up on some 100 octane!
Old 07-31-2003, 07:19 PM

I used Mobil since my parents gave me a Mobil gas card, but that made the car smell (not a really bad smell, but some chemical smell) so I switched to a different brand. I tried BP, Citgo, Shell, and Clark. None of them made my car ping so that made me happy. BP and Clark were okay, but it made my car kind of sluggish. Citgo was great, but the sluggish-ness was on and off. Now I use only Shell since it doesn't ping and my car isn't sluggish anymore. All of the ones I put in were 93 premium.

Shell works for me There is no Sunoco in Chicago, but Shell owns them so I think the gases are the same, but no 94 here
Old 08-01-2003, 01:21 AM

i run 91 octane with ethanol in it and it does wonders for my mpg as well as running..
Old 08-01-2003, 03:08 AM

I dunno, its been a while since I've put gas in a Max, but unless Texaco or Chevron are unairated (sp?) I'm sticking with Arco. mmmmm alcohol
Old 08-01-2003, 03:52 AM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
I think it's all in your head, but I'm curious to see others' replies.
I totally agree. Some cars REQUIRE super unleaded, some don't. I've said this before--in my grandpa's Chevy Caprice's owners manual, it states that pinging is normal. I've seen people post here saying it ruins the motor, shortens the knock sensor's life, etc. and etc. Just pump what you feel comfortable with. You feel better pumping 94 octane, then maybe doing so gives you peace of mind. That's worth something.

We are talking about a Nissan. I think Citgo, Shell, Sunoco, Amoco, Coastal, Postal, EZGazz, BP, Exxon, any of these fuels will more than suffice. Just remember that in NJ's full serve it's often not necessary to have your gas cap face the pump--the hose is long enough to pump on either side.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:21 AM

I am certain that the car pings less with Amoco and Sunoco. Shell is by far the worst for me and I've tried 3 different Shell stations with many tank fulls at each. It sucks because Shell gives a 5% discount on their Mastercard. Sunoco and Mobil/Exxon only give 3% on theirs. I'll have to find the link that I referred to on my previous post that showed Sunoco had fewer deposits after high mileage than other brands. Of course the test was done in Canada and I'm not sure if the gas in the U.S. has a different additive package. I only used the 94 at Sunoco because it's only 1 cent a gallon more than 93. I do realize that the higher the octane the longer it takes to burn, meaning 87 octane actually has more power potential. With our high compression ratio and the fact that I have mods just emphasises that I must have the higher octane to prevent predetonation.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:21 AM

I generally use what station is convenient, but I would be interested if there's a list of the gas number ratings since the AKI number you see on the pump is (RON + MON)/2 .
-hype
Old 08-01-2003, 08:39 AM
is invisible

Originally posted by jakew8
yes, yes the octane rating probaly is correct. his evidence, whatever it means, not to use it is that his and the other guy in the shop's cars (both subarus) are timed right to the brink on BP 93 premium, never pings, but when shell is in there they do ping. seems like something is fishy.
Funny, I have a friend with a WRX who uses Shell exclusively. Anything else and his car runs like crap.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by CoolMax
Funny, I have a friend with a WRX who uses Shell exclusively. Anything else and his car runs like crap.
Same for me and sometimes Citgo works great for me
Old 08-01-2003, 09:09 AM

My old civic ran better on Shell gas as did my old Stratus. My old Ford Taurus actually liked Sheetz gas. Cars are like women. They all want different things to make them happy.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:50 AM
is invisible

I know that on Hondas (at least Civics, I know how we love them!) that one shouldn't use BP.
This is according to the salesman, another Civic owner (he said it's in the owner's manual), and personal experience with my sister's car. The "maintenabce req'd" light comes on.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:59 PM

My Dads Durango will ping on anything else but the 87 Arco. granted there is a TSB out on it to switch 2 of the spark plug wires, but screw it, the damn thing loves its Arco, and if it wants to be an alcoholic, I'm going to let it. Its my little wanna be Nitro Drag Car.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:54 PM
VQ Wizard

I used Shell gas one time in my SE-R and I thought the car was broken. The best gas I have ever used is the Sunoco 94 in New Jersey. That gas makes more power than anythign we have in NC and the mileage on it is better.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:37 PM

probably wasnt aireated (sp?)
Old 08-02-2003, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by Virus
I am certain that the car pings less with Amoco and Sunoco. Shell is by far the worst for me and I've tried 3 different Shell stations with many tank fulls at each. It sucks because Shell gives a 5% discount on their Mastercard. Sunoco and Mobil/Exxon only give 3% on theirs. I'll have to find the link that I referred to on my previous post that showed Sunoco had fewer deposits after high mileage than other brands. Of course the test was done in Canada and I'm not sure if the gas in the U.S. has a different additive package. I only used the 94 at Sunoco because it's only 1 cent a gallon more than 93. I do realize that the higher the octane the longer it takes to burn, meaning 87 octane actually has more power potential. With our high compression ratio and the fact that I have mods just emphasises that I must have the higher octane to prevent predetonation.
Sunoco gives a 4% rebate on each statement--I use it almost all the time unless I'm in Jersey, where it's not worth making a u-turn to hit this Sunoco station (5 miles by the time I get back to where I started the u-turn). That ends up being about 6.6 cents per gallon discount, and Sunoco is usually about 3 cents more a gallon, so a savings of about 3.6 cents/gal over Hess.

You have to be careful about rebate cards that make you earn a certain amount before being redeemed--I racked up over $20,000 of charges through one card thanks to busin. trips. That was $200 worth of rebates--I wont mention names but it took me nearly 7 months of calling customer service and consumer affairs before I finally got the $200. I didn't have a problem but a friend is having trouble getting his $150 rebate from dell. That's why Sunoco is the real deal--every month, you get your rebates deducted from your balance owed.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:59 AM

Shell was doing 10% for 3 months and 5% thereafter. It's just a shame both of my cars run like crap on it.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:22 AM
You're Faster, I'm Better

My car runs like **** on exxon gas, and good on chevron. exxon gas blows thru Susie-Q like bad taco bell. Those are the only 2 gas stations I really trust, never really been into mobile or anyone else. The only place to get sunaco gas is at the track, I think 110 octane runs $5.22 a gallon last time I went.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

From hearing the description of what pinging sounds like, I can't imagine "always getting pinging". That must make you cringe! (or am I uninformed?)

What, exactly does your pinging sound like? Are people confusing pinging with that popcorn sound after the engine is shut off?
Old 08-04-2003, 07:29 AM
You're Faster, I'm Better

Originally posted by sryth
What, exactly does your pinging sound like? Are people confusing pinging with that popcorn sound after the engine is shut off?
What exactly is that "pop corn" sound after you turn the car off? I thought it was the metal in the exhaust system cooling and contracting.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:39 AM

its alittle ting ting ting sound you hear sometimes coming from the engine.

I dont hear it, maybe cars just love me (well I hear it sometimes when my Dad drives). not something I generally have to worry about.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:40 AM

My Max loves Chevron 91 and nothing else. Funny, my Chevy van loves Arco 84 and nothing else, go figure.

Unfortunately, Sunoco brand gas is not available in my area. I long for those days of 100 octane gas!

With all the discussion on pinging, do you guys have the timing advanced or the knock sensor disabled?
Old 08-04-2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by seegarman
My Max loves Chevron 91 and nothing else. Funny, my Chevy van loves Arco 84 and nothing else, go figure.

Unfortunately, Sunoco brand gas is not available in my area. I long for those days of 100 octane gas!

With all the discussion on pinging, do you guys have the timing advanced or the knock sensor disabled?
I do not have my timing advanced. The pinging occurs under normal driving conditions with Shell and sometimes Mobil. Amoco pings sometimes when the A/C is on. Sunoco never pings. Their is quite a few Sunoco stations around, but they are never in a convieneint location for me. Shell, Amoco, Mobil and Exxon's are everywhere. I have 1 Chevron station that's a run down garage.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by MrGone
its alittle ting ting ting sound you hear sometimes coming from the engine.

I dont hear it, maybe cars just love me (well I hear it sometimes when my Dad drives). not something I generally have to worry about.
Right...I hear this after I shut my engine off. I've never heard anything while my engine is running.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by sryth
Right...I hear this after I shut my engine off. I've never heard anything while my engine is running.
It's the hot metal contracting as it cools - like your exhaust for example. This sound is normal.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:43 AM

I don't think my car pings, if your car pings you need to clean the injectors.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by LiquidNine

It's the hot metal contracting as it cools - like your exhaust for example. This sound is normal.
Yep...I was just curious if these people who hear "pinging" all the time are actually referring to this phenomenon.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:34 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I just put in Citgo 91 the other day (first time) and my SES light came on.....lol