General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Analyze This...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001, 07:16 PM

i have 4th gen maxima and i let my girlriend drive it. while she did, she didnt correctly shift into second gear and revved the engine passed redline for 2-3 seconds in neutral. right after that, we started smelling burning oil. the car still runs smooth and strong and idle in neutral is smooth at about 600rpms. I drove the car about 3 hours later and still smelt the burning oil.

My question is... what could be wrong at this point? The car still seems very strong and smooth but oil can be smelt. Does anyone also know how bad passing redline for a few seconds could be on the engine? thanks.
Old 02-06-2001, 07:38 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

well, the obvious is...

warm it up.. check the ground.. got oil? now get a flashlight and check for oil dripping on to exhaust. Try to localize the smell. Its too general to help without some additional info. Like Tucan Sam would say, "follow your nose, it always knows" Then report back. Smelling oil is never a good thing, but is usually simply a leak. Its gotta be a gusher for you to be smelling it in the car, so dont wait to look around...
Old 02-06-2001, 07:44 PM

all my windows were open while we were in the car when we smelt it and the smell is coming direclty from the engine bay. i looked around right when i got home but couldnt see a leak or anything obvius. If it is a leak, where do you think it would be leaking from? thanks.
Old 02-06-2001, 08:23 PM

At least open the hood and check the dipstick and filler cap.
Old 02-06-2001, 08:32 PM

done

i checked those 2 spots already and found no leaks. they were nice and clean like the rest of the bay. could it be a gasket, because my miata had a cracked gasket that leaked some oil that had to be changed. maybe i dunno what im talkin bout...
Old 02-06-2001, 11:30 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

what does the exhaust smell like

fuel and oil are two different smells. Also, got any white or blueish smoke?
Old 02-07-2001, 05:48 AM

This might seem like a stupid comment...

But did you change your oil that day? The only time I get an oil burning smell is if I sometimes spill some on the engine when I fill the oil. I've had the car bouncing the rev-limiter before and it hasn't had a problem. Just a shot in the dark.
Old 02-07-2001, 07:58 PM

yes actually...

i just changed my oil on sunday. but i didnt smell anything until tuesday, the day of the incident. today, i drove the car and everything seems normal but i can still smell the burning oil. its not nearly as bad as tuesday (right after the incident) but its still there. im hoping for the best that it is some overspilled oil and that the engine never got hot enough to start acutally burning it until my girlfriend hit high revs with my car. dunno yet, all i can do is hope...
Old 02-07-2001, 10:25 PM
1FasMax

I had a 95 5 speed, and every once in a while when I would shift real fast (usually when racing) i would miss the shift and still be in nuetral and for some reason the limiter didnt always kick in, and a few times this happened and it revved to i know over 7000 RPM for a split second, I never smalled any oil, I was suprised it didnt hurt the motor..but I also heard these VQ motors were designed to handle a lot more RPM then they are actually limited to..so they shouldnt have any problem with high revs