General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Autocross tire pressure poll?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2001, 08:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I will be running an Autocross event this weekend and would like to know what tire pressures you use for Autocrossing your Maxima. Please also include the size of rim and tire that the pressure applies to. The SCCA novice instructions state to inflate to 45F/35R, the front seems kinda high and I would think the car would push severly. I run 32F/35R on the street and it feels good. I know about the old white shoe polish on the side wall trick. Other tips are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2001, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
I will be running an Autocross event this weekend and would like to know what tire pressures you use for Autocrossing your Maxima. Please also include the size of rim and tire that the pressure applies to. The SCCA novice instructions state to inflate to 45F/35R, the front seems kinda high and I would think the car would push severly. I run 32F/35R on the street and it feels good. I know about the old white shoe polish on the side wall trick. Other tips are appreciated.

Thanks!
I've read some articles on this, and I've chatted with an old auto-crosser, too. According to the info I gathered:

-Race with 225/50/16 tires on 16x7.5 wheels.
-Use "pre-heated" autocross tires to reduce chunking.
-Inflate tires to 44-lbs all around. This may seem like a lot, but higher air pressure stabilizes the sidewalls as you drive through corners, increasing your contact patch.

Have fun.
Old 02-07-2001, 09:38 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

if you feel your rear sliding out, decrease air pressure to increase contact patch,

the fronts should be high, near 45, reason? it's the drive wheels and also steering. when you steer the tires will roll... and roll isn't that great...

watch out tho. after the first couple of runs, your tires might get hot, and thus expand. keep checking your air pressure between runs, and let out/add accordingly.

and besure not to set your ebrake after the run,, you'll warp the rotors..

have fun.!!! i wanna see some trophies!

-ches
Old 02-07-2001, 10:38 PM

Well...

On my 225/55/16's (higher sidewall then you = more role) I run a minimum of 45psi on the fronts. Usually, I'll start at about 48 and adjust from there. The rear I run lower...about 42 or 40, depending onthe course and if the rear-end sliding is helping or hurting me (which, BTW, in a 3rd gen is much easier than a 4th).

I'd sta somewhere around there, a little lower all around because of the shorter sidewall. 45 front/38 rear or so.

Have fun -- its the whole point!!

Ryan
ryan@fobart.net
Old 02-08-2001, 12:54 AM

High......
I think I am gonna get me an electric pump....
^_^