General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

To cut or not to cut bumpstops?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2001, 06:52 PM

I going to try to install my Intrax springs and shocks this weekend, but was wondering how much or should i cut my bumpstops? I know on the max u r suppose to cut an inch off(according to intrax's instructions) but i just bought new shock/strut boots and the strut boot seems to contain the bumpstop on the inside... so how do i get to it to cut it? and how much do i cut in the rear? thanks.
Old 02-09-2001, 04:46 AM
Banned

If Intrax says cut...

then CUT. Take the small end and cut off one nub. There should be about three ridges on the bumps stop,
cut one off. To get the bumpstop out of the boot you need to compress the sides of the boot and *POP*
out the bumpstop. Cut one ridge of the small end and the compress the sides of the boot again and
*snap* the bumpstop back in. All four corners are to be done this way.

Here is a link to my website on "How to install spring and shocks". There is also a link at the
bottom of page that leads you to scanned shop manual images.

<A HREF=http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/springs.html>Suspension Install</A>
Old 02-09-2001, 09:35 AM

Is there any way to trim the bump stops while the struts are still on the car? I installed my Tokicos and Eibachs without trimming them.
Old 02-09-2001, 10:49 AM
Banned

Sure but...

you will be cutting into the boots.

If you didn't bother the replace the torn shock boots when you installed the new suspension
the the answer is YES. Jack the car up so that the tires are off the ground, remove the tires and
the bumpstop should be visible throught the torn boot. If the boots are new then you will be cutting them in
half when you take a straight razor to the bumpstop.

Old 02-09-2001, 10:49 AM
Banned

Sure but...

you will be cutting into the boots.

If you did not bother the replace the torn shock boots when you installed the new suspension
the the answer is YES. Jack the car up so that the tires are off the ground, remove the tires and
the bumpstop should be visible throught the torn boot. If the boots are new then you will be cutting them in
half when you take a straight razor to the bumpstop.