General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Altima owners saying they can beat maximas!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2001, 02:51 PM
RussMaxManiac

http://www.altimas.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000534.html

Uhhh there so full of it!

Old 02-08-2001, 02:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A 5spd Altima VS a auto max whould be a close race,

but the max would still win,but a 5spd Altima with some boltons could take a auto max I bet. I am sure you already knew this though,I should probably read the thread now.
Old 02-08-2001, 03:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

No they are not Russ. Like every board (including this one), there are always nugget headed idiots posting. I don't see any large agreement saying the Altima is faster than a maxima. In fact some of them are disputing that fact.

Originally posted by Russ2kSE

Old 02-08-2001, 03:46 PM

um... NO, Damn truck engine thinking its fast
Old 02-08-2001, 03:58 PM

Don't start stuff russ. What do you want us to do? go flame them. Thats LAME. Don't you work?

Old 02-08-2001, 04:22 PM

And you know what else.....any 5sp altima 93+ usually runs low 8's to 60....like 8.2 for the 2000. I'm pretty sure the last test of the 2k I30 showed a brisk 8.4 to 60 and the 2k auto max had 8.1(MT test vs. camary and accord) so be carefull. Remeber...street racing anybody can will. Also....the 2k's can't even seem to find second gear so they may get whooped there
Old 02-08-2001, 04:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

They are! You gotta think of it this way, the same age group for the most part drives Civics, I should know I just got out of that. So you'll hear a lot of tall tales but I've seen a couple of Altimas that would put a Maxima to shame... it's rare but anythings possible with money.
Old 02-08-2001, 05:22 PM

exactly......and I think VEEEEETTTTTTEEEEEEECCCCCCCCHHHHHH(vetec killers) car is pretty fast....lots of mods and a 5sp.
Old 02-08-2001, 06:08 PM

I responded to that. I told them they must have one hell of an alty to beat us.
Old 02-08-2001, 06:08 PM

i know vteckiller...
his altima is fast as hell...
Old 02-08-2001, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by buss95max
i know vteckiller...
his altima is fast as hell...
He must have. Whats he run?
Old 02-08-2001, 06:46 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by max2kgle526
I responded to that. I told them they must have one hell of an alty to beat us.

Come on, there are that many bolt-on mods available for Altima anyway, why should we care, in fact it is probably the worst Nissan cars you can buy and modify it!

altima to 2k max...no way, even with the stick

Old 02-08-2001, 07:03 PM

YO

You mean they can BEAT OFF to a MAXIMA.

Old 02-08-2001, 07:10 PM
OG

I'm gonna have to say it's one of those rare occasions where an Alima beats a Maxima. My wife drives a 93Altima and there is no way in hell she could beat me even when I was stock and she can drive just as good as me. I'm not saying it's not impossible, but it rare.
Old 02-08-2001, 07:11 PM
WAaltiman

well I wish I could afford a Maxima, I'd get one, but since I can't I hadto settle for an Altima. For the price its tough to beat the altma. The styling is horrible, but nothing that can't be fixed. In addition to that Stillen along with others are finally bringing out some good mods. I've seen some really nice bodykits.

Bolt-ons huh? So you've gotta have boltons to be good. Seems more like the cheap way to do things. Don't see whats so bad about havin to go out and actually work on the car.

Go ahead and rip on the Altima, but when the new remake comes out I think quite a few of you ill be whining about how you got burnt...bad. Its only a matter of time.

It the best car for the price with a great engine. The plug fell out once and I drove around 10 miles before the oil pressure light came on. Temperature never flickered. Took it inot the shop had the engine tested. No problems what so ever. A testement to th Engines abilities.

Old 02-08-2001, 07:22 PM
OG

No doubt about it, the Altima is a nice car, it's just not as powerful as the Maxima. It's not that much lighter either. I gotta give it props though, stock, my wife's altima handles real well. Fun car to drive indeed.
Old 02-08-2001, 07:31 PM
WAaltiman

I have to wonder though what the hell Nissan was thinking when they designed it. the shape is disgusting. I got it becasue of the price and performance, not the looks, and it is one god ugly car.

Old 02-08-2001, 07:41 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by WAaltiman

Go ahead and rip on the Altima, but when the new remake comes out I think quite a few of you ill be whining about how you got burnt...bad. Its only a matter of time.

you have to remember one thing....if they remake the alty then the max will get it's remake too...there's no way nissan will ever make the 2 the same....sh*t i know my car is toast when the new models come out...thats why i'll be moving on then
Old 02-08-2001, 07:49 PM

It the best car for the price with a great engine. The plug fell out once and I drove around 10 miles before the oil pressure light came on. Temperature never flickered. Took it inot the shop had the engine tested. No problems what so ever. A testement to th Engines abilities.
Don't forget that the Max has had one of the top rated v6's for the last 6 years or so (7 counting this year?)

I've never liked the altimas.. theyre so fugly. But maybe the new ones will be nicely restyled.. they cant do much more damage to it, could they?
Old 02-08-2001, 07:59 PM
RussMaxManiac

Burnt bad? HOW? Please explain? The Maxima will have over 250hp for 2002 as well....so whats your point?

well I wish I could afford a Maxima, I'd get one, but since I can't I hadto settle for an Altima. For the price its tough to beat the altma. The styling is horrible, but nothing that can't be fixed. In addition to that Stillen along with others are finally bringing out some good mods. I've seen some really nice bodykits.

Bolt-ons huh? So you've gotta have boltons to be good. Seems more like the cheap way to do things. Don't see whats so bad about havin to go out and actually work on the car.

Old 02-08-2001, 08:00 PM

My '99 Altima SE-L 5-speed with the only mod being advanced timing ran 15.54 @ 92mph, with me driving the holy hell out of it. My 2K Maxima SE is faster, but don't under-estimate it's little brother!
Regards, David Burnette
Old 02-08-2001, 08:09 PM

I bought my ex-wife her Altima...

I've got a '98 Max, hers is a '98 Altima. Both auto tranny's. Her car is peppy for a 4-cyl, and I actually like the way it handles better (seems a bit more responsive w/ less roll), but there is no way it is faster (stock vs. stock); especially when it comes to passing power. We've gone at it a couple times both from a stop and from a rolling start, and I've won hands down every time. And the Altima's hood flexes a LOT from the wind at speeds greater than 80mph. What kills me is that her GXE came w/ a CD player and wood-grain trim, and my GXE had neither!!! What gives, Nissan??? Now if it had the Max's engine, that would be wicked.
Old 02-08-2001, 08:11 PM

That engine will run forever, my friend went 11,000 without an oil cange and 90,000 miles in two years on city streets being pushed to the limit every gear, its a 97 and it has 180,000 miles still going strong.
Old 02-08-2001, 09:31 PM

BEAT A MAXIMA???

maybe a 1st gen, maxima stationwagon. heehee, with car full of kid. heehee, but seriously altima is a pretty fast car, wut can i say "it is a NISSAN" heehe........
Old 02-08-2001, 09:40 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

WAaltiman.....

Hey

im not in here to argue about Altima's or Maxima's cause their both nice cars built by Nissan and i see no need to hate on each other.

Im wondering how da hell did your drain plug fall off? they dont juss pop off on accident...
Old 02-08-2001, 09:42 PM

Hmm, let's see, some "ex-max owner", to be more specific, he who used to own a 5th gen and now owns a sentra, once said this on Chad's BBS:
<i>give me a y-piple, I will toast the M3.</i>

does that ring a bell russ??
Old 02-08-2001, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by WoodEar
Hmm, let's see, some "ex-max owner", to be more specific, he who used to own a 5th gen and now owns a sentra, once said this on Chad's BBS:

give me a octan booster, i will toast a M3, SS style. heehee
Old 02-08-2001, 10:34 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by BrokenMotor

give me a octan booster, i will toast a M3, SS style. heehee

HUH? Octane booster does nothing if your car's engine isn't high compression ratio, even with high compression ratio, it will only give you like 2-5hp until reline.

It works better with force induction engines like Turbo..

Tim

Old 02-08-2001, 10:59 PM

HUH? Octane booster does nothing if your car's engine isn't high compression ratio, even with high compression ratio, it will only give you like 2-5hp until reline.

It works better with force induction engines like Turbo..

Tim
2-5hp is all i need to beat a M3 "SS" style. lol
Old 02-09-2001, 05:54 AM
RussMaxManiac

Ypipe and CAI on a 5th gen runs low 14s.... So you tell me why I can't hang or take one on the highway?

Old 02-09-2001, 06:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member and Maxima.org Sponsor

Hmm, I have both a

Maxima and an Altima, both 99, both white, both GXEs, and believe me, I can get my Alti to get up and go without a problem. Maxima is faster, but I definetely give the Altima props for hauling booty pretty nice...
Just my 0.02 from someone who owns and drives both.
Alex
alex@southwestautoworks.com

PS There is a good friend of mine on the Altimas.net board, name is Rick, runs low 14s (I believe) with his 1st generation altima...
Old 02-09-2001, 06:52 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i thought he said his Sentra can walk a Maxima..then why can't a Altima?... or was it the sentra can roadkill a Mustang..or something like that?

Old 02-09-2001, 04:49 PM

Ypipe and CAI on a 5th gen runs low 14s.... So you tell me why I can't hang or take one on the highway?
yeah for a <b>5 speed</b>.
did you have a 5sp? nope. that's why <b>you</b> can't hang or beat a M3.

btw, dan is right, were you the guy said before your sentra can take a max also??
Old 02-09-2001, 05:05 PM
RussMaxManiac

It does not matter if you have a 5spd or auto on the highway, they both will accell the same.

yeah for a <b>5 speed</b>.
did you have a 5sp? nope. that's why <b>you</b> can't hang or beat a M3.

btw, dan is right, were you the guy said before your sentra can take a max also??

Old 02-09-2001, 05:18 PM
WAaltiman

So ya wanna know how the oil plug fell out. Well it would appear, since it happened befroe my first oil change after getting this car used that the change at the dealer screwed up to. They stripped the oil plug and it fell out along the way somewhere.

I'm not trying to starty a flame war and it doesn't appear that I have. I just found some of the comments that the altima has no performance to be off. For the car its got great performance. Try to find a car in its class that has a nice stock engine with pep like it has.

Old 02-09-2001, 06:29 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Altimas are quick..

The altima is supposed to be the 4 cyl. version of the Maxima in the Nissan lineup, serving as competition for the 4 cyl Accords and Camry's... Honestly, I'd take a 4 cyl Accord over an Altima, because of the styling alone. I drove a 1st gen Altima, (dont know the year) it was pretty quick compared to my Maxima, but you really have to push it in high RPMs to get it to move, if I was to do the same with my max, I'd definately rip an Altima. I still give them credit though... not too bad, the 2nd gens are roomy inside, feel more luxurious then my car thats for sure
Old 02-09-2001, 06:36 PM

It does not matter if you have a 5spd or auto on the highway, they both will accell the same.
so show me one automatic 5th gen with cai/ypipe that does low 14's.

anyway, let's save the 3 pages long debate, just cut the bs and get to the point:
basicly, you are saying, you can say your max will beat a M3, that's not full of it. but if altima people say altima can beat maxima, they are always full of it.
right?
Old 02-09-2001, 06:51 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

thats funny my 91 auto VG30E has beaten many altimas lol
Old 02-09-2001, 06:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't see any way that altimas should beat maximas without more money being invested into the altima then it would cost to buy the maxima in the first place...

BUT:

Those who were at the toronto meet last fall saw the sleeper sentra that can walk new vettes and any maxima... but that car had a crazy turbo and probably more money in it than my maxima... it was purple, you can't be any more sleeper than that! the moral is that with $$$ anything is possible...
Old 02-09-2001, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by theblue
I don't see any way that altimas should beat maximas without more money being invested into the altima then it would cost to buy the maxima in the first place...
not true.
there is true hp solution, NOS!

Quick Reply: Altima owners saying they can beat maximas!