General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Intermittant stalling... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 05:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Intermittant stalling... HELP!

Alright here is problem that has me stumped but hopefully someone will have an idea. please help me out b/c i know it would probably cost a ton to have a mechanic figure this out.

Below you will find a long-winded description of the problem as well as a brief summary of the problem at the end, as well as what i have done to troubleshoot the problem.

My maxima (`93 SE, auto 63K miles) started two weeks ago (when it was raining) to start to have problems accellarating, and even stalling every few miles.
If the car stalled i needed only to pull to the side of the road, put it in park and restart it, and it would act fine for a few more miles. I had recenlty gotten gas at a new place so i put fuel injector cleaner in and it ran fine for that tank of gas(about a week), i assumed it was just bad gas from the new station.
When i filled up again and ran about 50 miles the next day the car was fine. After sitting for 4 days (and a rain storm on monday) when i went to drive it again (thursday) it started hiccuping and stalling again. Once again dry gas helped alleviate the problem.
I figured out the problem was somehow linked to the car getting wet this sunday after running fine for a 100 mile trip (after dry gas additions), and then washing the car at a u-wash it place it started acting crappy again.

SUMMARY OF PROBLEM:

car hiccups, stalls intermittantly. Once stalled car will restart ok and run fine for a few miles.

problem is linked to car getting wet.

Dry gas solves the problem.

NO check engine light codes displayed.

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE DONE TO TROUBLESHOOT THE PROBLEM:

I have jacked the car up and checked out the gas tank, fuel line, and tube from gas tank fill port to tank, all appear free from rust, holes.
I also believe i can't have a actual hole in the tank or lines b/c the car isn't leaking fuel and it still maintains pressure, evident by the strong hissing when i remove the gas cap.
I ran the electronic control module self diagnotic to see if i had any check engine light codes stored but it did not.

One would think it could be the fuel pump going but why would it be linked to water and why would dry gas solve the problem?

any suggestions on how to troubleshoot or fix this problem would be a great help.

Steve Harvey '93 SE
Old 08-18-2003, 06:22 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Do 93 engine have a distributor cap & rotor? If so, change it and I bet that solves your problem.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yes it has a distributor cap but not sure about a rotor? do you think water is leaking into the distributor somehow?
Old 08-18-2003, 09:09 PM

yeah, up to 94' model (except for the 94' 190 hp SE)...all Maxima engines have distributor cap/rotor. You may want to check the condition of the sparkplug wires. Make sure that they are tightly fitted onto the sparkplugs and the distributor cap. While you at it, check for leaks from the vacuum lines too since they can cause hestitation.
When was the last time you've changed your fuel filter/pcv valve?
Old 08-18-2003, 09:43 PM

are our cars supposed to hiss when removing the fuel cap, because mine never did that b4 and im wondering if somethings wrong? 5th gen
Old 08-19-2003, 09:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by VMaximus02
yeah, up to 94' model (except for the 94' 190 hp SE)...all Maxima engines have distributor cap/rotor. You may want to check the condition of the sparkplug wires. Make sure that they are tightly fitted onto the sparkplugs and the distributor cap. While you at it, check for leaks from the vacuum lines too since they can cause hestitation.
Actually after checking it out my car doesn't have a distributor. i guess the SE's didn't have them in '93 someone in the 3rd gen forum said the engine has direct injection or something like that. so any other suggestions??
thanks,
steve '93 SE
Old 08-19-2003, 11:02 AM

Are you sure? Do you have the 190hp w/twin overheadcams w/chain-timing belt version?
Old 08-19-2003, 11:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are you sure? Do you have the 190hp w/twin overheadcams w/chain-timing belt version?
yes i have the dual overhead cam version with the timing chain instead of the belt.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:54 PM

your engine is a distributorless motor w/an individual coil per cylinder.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i changed the fuel filter about a month ago, and didn't have any problems immediatly after installing it so i think that's ok. what is the PCV valve? if it's part of the distributor my engine doesn't have one.