General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Street racing can kill. Learn something from Victim64

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2001, 06:53 PM

Comon guy's (and girls, although I think mostly guys); we have one among us who is counting his blessings for being alive and dudes are still boasting about racing from stop light to stop light. It's not worth it! Take it to a drag strip if you must, but don't keep taking risks thinking it'll never happen to you. It very well might! And you may not be around to tell the story.
Old 02-09-2001, 07:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

"Take it to a drag strip" -- there's not always a strip down the road, but common sense always seems to have been ignored when the big accidents happen, if not then the accident would have happened anyway... just my 2 cents
Old 02-09-2001, 07:10 PM

i am glad i learned my lesson without going thru such a major accident.
i had my 1st ever accident also when i ran into the back of a SL500 with my GS400 last month. the story that i didn't tell you guys at that point, is that it was also street racing. we were doing some high speed run(120+) on LIE for miles, until we both got off the same exit. lined up at a light, i whooped his ***. next light, i did it again and i decided to let off, so i let him pass me and tried to play catching for fun, but somehow he came to a complete stop for a garbage truck, i expected him to slow but not stop, so i couldn't brake in time.

after that, i came to realization that much more serious **** can happen if something happened when we were doing 120, so street racing is bad
Old 02-09-2001, 07:16 PM

man a gs400, damn... My head on collision was because of a guy who couldn't speak english jumped a left turn on redlight and boom, he took off on foot after his car spun around.

Who else can say they were in a hit and run (literally).

-Nate
Old 02-09-2001, 07:27 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=22709 Watch the video. Read my reply too.
Old 02-09-2001, 09:08 PM

Even if you take it to the track,, it doesn't mean you still can't get f'ed up. People crash on the track too. There are countries with no speed limits and roads like the autobahn that get races all the time. Just use your best judgement in any situation. If you choose not to race thats fine. If you chose to street race, well, be prepared to deal with any and all of the consiquences that may come.
Old 02-09-2001, 09:22 PM

im taking it to the trail! A bike trail, just got me a new trek and that my speed demon for now
Old 02-09-2001, 09:32 PM

Ignorance is bliss

If there's no track, don't race. If you go to the track you are exposing yourself and the guy you're racing against and anyone else who is there by choice so if you get hurt or worse yet killed, you made a bad decision and pay the consequences yourself.

When you race on streets (public roads) you not only expose yourself but also expose other innocent people.

If you don't understand or follow the reasoning, grow up or move to Europe and drive on the Autobahn.

Old 02-09-2001, 09:42 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

not to darken the mood here...but this is BS..all you guys/gals should know street racing is wrong. but like Victim said your ego takes the better part of your judgement and you do it anyway. it's all about control..can u control your emotions when someone is riding your ****? also victim was lucky..a 3rd gen owner already died due to street racing. we don't want a 4th nor a 5th gen in the ranks. know when to say stop. we can all sit here and say "hey don't street race" and "don't drive aggressive"..but in reality people still do it. so think b4 u do.
Old 02-10-2001, 09:15 AM
imax95

Street racing can kill, so can a bone in your windpipe

so be alert and chew well.

Old 02-10-2001, 10:09 AM

Street light racing, not so bad if your not a dumb ***. If I ever race street lights I just race to the speed limit and get off. If your racing street lights wouldn't it be clear in front of you when you race??? unless your some fool that when all out when there's a car 100 feet away. So I say when you almost get into some **** or get into some **** its all on you.

-organized street racing-
Street racing will never die but some of the people that do it will... sure after a big or small acident the street racing calms down for a couple weeks then it picks right back up. Since the begining of time people have been racing. The dino people probly raced thier wagons on none working days too.
Old 02-10-2001, 03:41 PM

Everyone of us think we have skills, and that we know

the limits of our cars. Yeah, I knew exactly what my car could and could not do. I pushed it all the time, on the road and on the track. I don't care if you think you are the greatest driver in the world, that means ****. There are other people on the road, some can drive some CAN'T. EVEN PEOPLE WITH SKILLS CAN CAUSE SEVERAL KILLS. Does this mean I will never speed again, or get into a race on the road? I can't say that, I am only human, and it is thick in my blood. But one day, even when you are on the top of your game, you might find yourself in a situation that exceeds the limits of your car and your LIFE.......
Old 02-10-2001, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by 1997 Maxima SE
Street light racing, not so bad if your not a dumb ***. If I ever race street lights I just race to the speed limit and get off.
around here, any street with lights, the limit is no more than 45 i think, i yet to know one that exceeds that.
so racing 0-45, it doesn't mean anything.
Old 02-10-2001, 07:28 PM

People are still going to race,

no matter what people do. You can get killed driving, wether or not you race. It's all a risk you take when getting behind the wheel. I never race if there's a remote possibility I'll hit someone (ie, cars ahead). It's not the best answer, but if you can't have any common sense when doing something stupid/illegal, you shouldn't be doing it heh.
Old 02-10-2001, 09:02 PM

Re: People are still going to race,

Never ending battle!
Old 02-10-2001, 10:33 PM

Re: People are still going to race,

Originally posted by ereet
I never race if there's a remote possibility I'll hit someone (ie, cars ahead). It's not the best answer, but if you can't have any common sense when doing something stupid/illegal, you shouldn't be doing it heh.
This philosophy almost got me killed..... The road I was on was completely empty, except for the one car behind me. The road was straight and clear, then all of a sudden.............. **** happens.

You know, there is one thing that keeps crossing my mind since this happened. I keep thinking that someone might be doing something like I did, then all of a sudden my; Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, Girlfriend, or a Loved one of mine gets in the way and ends up DEAD.

All of this has been said before, and "People are still going to race", but I hope if you are reading this you will at least think twice next time, or "Road Kill" might end up with a different meaning for you.
Old 02-11-2001, 06:50 AM

Re: Re: People are still going to race,

Originally posted by Victim64
Originally posted by ereet
I never race if there's a remote possibility I'll hit someone (ie, cars ahead). It's not the best answer, but if you can't have any common sense when doing something stupid/illegal, you shouldn't be doing it heh.
This philosophy almost got me killed..... The road I was on was completely empty, except for the one car behind me. The road was straight and clear, then all of a sudden.............. **** happens.

You know, there is one thing that keeps crossing my mind since this happened. I keep thinking that someone might be doing something like I did, then all of a sudden my; Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, Girlfriend, or a Loved one of mine gets in the way and ends up DEAD.

All of this has been said before, and "People are still going to race", but I hope if you are reading this you will at least think twice next time, or "Road Kill" might end up with a different meaning for you.
Somebody was equating street racing with track racing and that is insane. Street racing is much more dangerous than track racing because while street racing there are other innocent drivers that can come into play out of (seemingly) nowhere. Other drivers may see you coming but do not expect you to be driving 80 mph on a city street and they pull out in front of you. It takes a second before they realize that hey, that car is going really fast and then it's too late-wumppph. Probably stating the obvious, but...