General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

driver side front wheel rattles...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 03:06 PM

driver side front wheel rattles...

whenever i go over a bump, my driver side front wheel or whatever thats under the front driver side fender is rattling. could it be my spring? how do i know when to replace my shocks? wat could this rattling be? how severe could it be?
Old 08-23-2003, 03:53 PM

mine does the same thing, i heard it may be the upper strut mounts but im not sure.....i would like to know how much this would cost to fix.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:02 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Check your upper strut mounts. From under the hood look at the center nut. It should be centered and not have any play. Try to move it around, if it moves, your upper mount is bad. It's a 17mm nut on there, put a socket on it and try to tighten it up. 50 ft/lbs is the correct torque value for that nut, don't overtighten it or you will damage the mount if it's still in good shape.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Check your upper strut mounts. From under the hood look at the center nut. It should be centered and not have any play. Try to move it around, if it moves, your upper mount is bad. It's a 17mm nut on there, put a socket on it and try to tighten it up. 50 ft/lbs is the correct torque value for that nut, don't overtighten it or you will damage the mount if it's still in good shape.
how does the mount go bad? mines torqued at 50 ft lbs but when I make a hard left I hear a rattle just like how springs will creek when the strut bearing is bad.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:44 PM

I have the same problem. The best way to describe my sound is that when I go over uneven terrain (bumps, gravel road, etc), it sounds like a rattle, but it sounds metallic in nature.

At first, I thought it was my brake shield, so I took my wheel off and checked the shield but it looks ok. So now, I am at a loss.

LucentAUTO, maseo77, does the rattle you hear sound metallic in nature?
Old 08-24-2003, 02:56 AM

my noise sounds more like a few small rubber ***** in a bucket, thats the best way i can describe it.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by maseo77
my noise sounds more like a few small rubber ***** in a bucket, thats the best way i can describe it.
That could be the strut itself.

Nisom, I've seen the top nut back off which makes the piston rattle around and enlarge the hole to the point you can't use it anymore. The rubber inside could deteriorate as well, I've never seen that, but it's possible especially in older high mileage cars.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:51 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Do any of you have koni's? Once the bolt on the bottom of the strut that held the koni insert in was loose. It made that same sound.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:14 PM

I have Konis and I redid my suspension a couple weeks back and torqued that bolt down 80 ftlbs. dont think I ever had a loose top strut nut since I always check torque and its always at 50 lbs.

***** in a bucket- my noise sound pretty much that, it sound more between ***** in a bucket and the creeking noise you get when your springs twist and pop. I only get it on the passanger front while turning left
Old 08-24-2003, 02:44 PM

Just went out and checked, the strut in the upper strut mount has slight play(maybe less than a mm all around the hole) does that mean my upper mounts are worn? I tried centering the strut in the hole and torques the nut down, Ill see if that helps. if not, how much is a new mount?
Old 08-24-2003, 05:09 PM

The shaft on Konis are not keyed to match the OEM or even aftermarket mounts. The mount must be drilled out round to accept the Koni. Once the hole is drilled round, the piston on the Koni can spin making it hard to correctly torque the nut down.

The bottom bolt that holds the Koni in the strut housing may be to long and bottom out before actually securing the insert to the strut housing. Take the strut out and see if the Koni still moves in the housing. It it does, you may need a shorter bolt or another washer so you can correctly secure the insert into the strut housing. Lock-tite probably should be used.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:10 PM

I just now remembered I had to drill out that upper strut hole, been so long since I installed the Konis. Ill check the bottom bolt again since I had to remove the koni shock to install my ground controls, maybe add another thick washer in there too. I never had any problems before with this noise and only appeared when I redid my suspension. thanks for your help.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:31 PM

Noise gone, metallic clanging noise was caused by a small rock stuck in the rotor cavity. It was doing the jiggy in there.

But they say my boot is torn, so time to shell out some $$$.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:29 PM

glad you found your noise, I still hear the stupid noise even after taking the suspension off like 5 times with no luck. im seriously thinking about getting JIC FLTA2s now