General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Engine code: park/neutral position switch! HELP ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 06:34 PM
Lightly modded

Engine code: park/neutral position switch! HELP ASAP!

My problems never end. Two days after getting my car back I get a KS code and park/neutral position switch code. I read up as much as I could about the PNP code, but all the info seems to be for the auto. I reset my ECU, and so far (5 miles) the code hasnt come back yet. I had a new tranny installed, so I have a feeling that the mechanic didn't install the PNP switch correctly.

So I'm waiting for my mechanic to call me back with some info, but I hope you guys can help me out some before the server goes down, because I leave for college tomorrow morning at 8 am. My dad had an idea that if I put my car in 1st, and try to start it, that could be a way around the PNP failure (when it does fail). What can you guys tell me? How much should I expect to have this repaired?

About the KS...I'm interested in trying out the cheap way to fix it, by installing the thing (I forget exactly what, maybe fuse, or resistor ) to replace the KS. I know I would have to be the car's KS, but thats fine with me....I need to save money. How much should I expect to pay for a KS replacement?

Thanks guys.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

the only issue with the park neutral switch is that you wont be able to use cruise control and you can start the car without putting the clutch in.. reverse lights may also not work, none of this is a huge deal really..
Old 08-28-2003, 10:07 PM
Lightly modded

Originally posted by thebigsadler
the only issue with the park neutral switch is that you wont be able to use cruise control and you can start the car without putting the clutch in.. reverse lights may also not work, none of this is a huge deal really..
Really? Because for autos it can cause the car to not start, because it thinks the car isn't in park. So I guess those effects don't apply to a 5 speed?
Old 08-29-2003, 02:23 PM
Lightly modded

Update: I drove about 100 miles today, and the light hasn't come back yet. Any more ideas about this for a stick?

Sadler: My CC works fine....does that mean anything?
Old 09-01-2003, 02:30 PM

maybe....

Maybe they replaced your tranny and forgot to hook the switch up, realized it and hooked it up, but didn't clear the code.

Just try starting it in neutral w/o the clutch in.