General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Good news for you guys looking to convert to 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 01:16 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally Posted by NickStam
Go find places that you trust where you can get the work done for less then.
Seriously..
most shops will look at you like you're crazy if you inquire about a trans. conversion or have very minimal experience with jobs like this and most likely at a much higher price..
In this case parts are being found for you already and everything is being done for you by someone who likely knows more about these cars than any other mechanic, period.

Where do you get that 1500-1800$ should include installation?
Have you actually gotten these quotes from mechanics or are you making this ossumption out of thin air?
Old 09-15-2003, 01:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maximus75
You have to understand it's not just the tranny. It's the ECM. flywheel, ****er linkages, shifter assy, master cyl, slave cyl, the pedals alone are woth $200. Try calling a salvage yard for manual trans pedals. They just don't save that stuff. You have to get it from nissan and the clutch pedal is not sold as an assy. I'ts made up of about 10 peice all of which will be on backorder due to no demand for them. Trust me, I've been through this. Getting th whole car save so much time and money. The clutch hydro line is also about ten peices. You'll never find this stuff at a salvage yard unless they have the whole car.
When I was collecting all the parts for the swap I couldn't understand why none of the junkyards in Austin had anything like pedals, hydraulic lines, etc. When I called, the parts guy always said "nope don't got it." Finally I just asked to take a look out in the yard, and sure enough, I found several Maximas with all the stuff I needed. It's just that they weren't entered on the computer inventory list and the counter guys couldn't be bothered to go look.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:08 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

I was fortunate becuase Chaz used to buy entire junked Maximas at private auctions. This way we could use it as a donor car for ALL the parts, making it much cheaper. That, and he did it for me for an incredible price. God bless that fella.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
For the $1500-$1800 installation should be included...
Sweet! I say if you offered the complete swap parts included for lets say for 2,200 you could make a 4-700 dollar profit. youd make a killing! Do you guys have a shop or something? i could save 2gs alot easier than 3 gs.

o wait this is only make believe--nevermind
Old 09-16-2003, 03:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Craig Mack
I was fortunate becuase Chaz used to buy entire junked Maximas at private auctions. This way we could use it as a donor car for ALL the parts, making it much cheaper. That, and he did it for me for an incredible price. God bless that fella.
Yeah i got my tranny off him also. The first one wasnt in good shape and bearings failed after like 2k (talk about frustration). That tranny had been tampered with, it was missing the magnet inside. Chaz was good enough of a guy to send me another tranny (not in running condition) but i got parts off of it and fixed my car. Cost me ~1k. That was like over a year ago.....