General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What IS a Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 06:03 PM
UCF Lexus

What IS a Maxima?

Does the 4DSC still continue thru the 6th gen? I honestly think that is the best phrase for a Maxima.

Although the slogan used to be "built for the human race".....it changed to SHIFT_whatever.

I love all maximas....I really dont like any other cars. And I was in deep thought at school today..."If it can be turbo'd, sc'ed, and all this stuff is available for it...how can it be just a family sedan?"

What are your thoughts?
Old 09-09-2003, 06:21 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by bijan gxe
And I was in deep thought at school today..."If it can be turbo'd, sc'ed, and all this stuff is available for it...how can it be just a family sedan?"
if thats what you were in deep thought about you're gonna fail your class
Old 09-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I often think the same thing

the "4DSC" was dropped when the 4th gen came out. Nissan thought it better to aim for a slightly older crown, 4DSC was to young sounding. thats what i've heard
Old 09-09-2003, 06:52 PM

a maxima...

well an ordinary car takes you from point a to point b

a maxima takes you from point a to point b faster
Old 09-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

Even before I bought mine, I had always considered the Maxima a "sports sedan masquerading as a family carrier", whereas Accords & Camrys are clearly "family carriers" that have little-to-no hope of being remotely "sporty" without heavy aftermarket modification.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:34 PM

I love all maximas
Me too!

I really dont like any other cars. And I was in deep thought at school today

Think Harder!
Old 09-09-2003, 07:39 PM
UCF Lexus

I'm not gonna fail!! lol - just one of times in class where you get to think freely
Old 09-09-2003, 07:47 PM

just one of times in class where you get to think freely
You mean when the teacher is talking?
Old 09-09-2003, 09:48 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

i still think it qualifies as a 4DSC
Old 09-09-2003, 10:11 PM
lifted and locked

Originally Posted by nadir_s

i still think it qualifies as a 4DSC

IMHO I think that's a stretch for the 6th gen. I just don't think "4DSC" when I see one.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:14 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by Threadkilla
IMHO I think that's a stretch for the 6th gen. I just don't think "4DSC" when I see one.

why not?

"In 6th gear, stomach still in 3rd" (or something like that) ... fav ad line i see on billboard on my way to work.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:16 PM
V^___^V

IMO, maximas have hidden potential. the VQs has so much inside that most people don't realized. it's a well-rounded cars. it has performance, comfert, luxurious, aerodynamic. that's what mods are for, it emphasize on those characteristics to make maxima more noticible.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Maxtank
I often think the same thing

the "4DSC" was dropped when the 4th gen came out. Nissan thought it better to aim for a slightly older crown, 4DSC was to young sounding. thats what i've heard
That's why I bought a 4DSC sticker and put in my back window where the brake light is on non-spoiler models. Looks stock.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:33 AM

Here in NZ, Maxima's are Nissans answer to the Holden Commodors and the Ford Falcons. You sometimes see a Maxima that's been "done up", but usually people go for the Primera or Skyline when they choose a Nissan to do up.
This is the best NZ Max I've seen:

For the 4th gen Maximas, did you guys over there have the slogan "Fast Forward through life" or something like that?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:29 AM
UCF Lexus

well said happyrice

That NZ maxima is phat! need to be LOWER though.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by nadir_s
why not?

"In 6th gear, stomach still in 3rd" (or something like that) ... fav ad line i see on billboard on my way to work.
I know that ad is for the Altima. I didn't know they had the same exact ad for the 6th gen Maxima. That is pretty sad if we are both correct...

for Nissan
Old 09-10-2003, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by JerseyMaxima
I know that ad is for the Altima. I didn't know they had the same exact ad for the 6th gen Maxima. That is pretty sad if we are both correct...

for Nissan

there is no 6speed altima.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bgohan
That's why I bought a 4DSC sticker and put in my back window where the brake light is on non-spoiler models. Looks stock.
Now that I think about it, I wish I had peeled off my "4DSC" sticker from my 3rd Gen before I sold it and put it on my 5th Gen. By the way, Bgohan, where did you buy your "4DSC" sticker? I'd like to get one. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Threadkilla
I think Automobile magazine agrees with you. In the latest issue, the Maxima ranked dead last of 12 vehicles I think. To lose to a Pontiac is not too cool imho. I doubt you'll see the writeup in the Maxima brochure. C&D in 1994 was the opposite--nissan definitely used the 10 best review to their advantage.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:45 PM
KDLMax

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
I think Automobile magazine agrees with you. In the latest issue, the Maxima ranked dead last of 12 vehicles I think. To lose to a Pontiac is not too cool imho. I doubt you'll see the writeup in the Maxima brochure. C&D in 1994 was the opposite--nissan definitely used the 10 best review to their advantage.
I didn't get to look at the article well enough but I believe I saw 0-60 in 6.5 sec for the max, faster then most of the cars they were rating!

Old 09-10-2003, 05:28 PM
UCF Lexus

yeah, the Maxima sure has changed.... used to own a 2nd gen wagon - to a 3rd gen GXE and now I'm trying to get a 4th gen SE

Maxima fo LIFE!
Old 09-10-2003, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by WVmax
Now that I think about it, I wish I had peeled off my "4DSC" sticker from my 3rd Gen before I sold it and put it on my 5th Gen. By the way, Bgohan, where did you buy your "4DSC" sticker? I'd like to get one. Thanks.
Courtesy 3rd gen parts for the 4dsc sticker

On the surface, a Maxima does have four doors but compared to other 'family' sedans, a Maxima has always been more stylish, more rewarding to drive and has always had a 6-cylinder engine with an available stick. They've never been ho-hum and always get a bit of respect when you answer the question of what kind of car you drive with "A Maxima". I think it's reputation has much to do with how other people perceive the car but that reputation is only backed up with actually knowing what it's like to drive one.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:39 AM

The Maxima was never a family sedan. Nissan never marketed it that way and thats what Stanza and Altima were and are for even Altima to some extent is more than just a family sedan. Just because it has 4 doors and FWD doesn't mean it's a family sedan. Do people call the TL a family sedan? Sure Nissan tried to garner more sales with the 4th gen but they always stayed true to the Max, if not they would have gave it a 4cyl along time ago. I love all gen Maximas but my favorites are the 2nd and the 5th. I never really saw Maxima on the level of Camry or Accord it was always on level above them. A standard 6cyl since the beginning long before Toyota and Honda decided to add their weak 6cyl. Maxima is Nissans flagship car. What is a Maxima? IMO it is a symbol of Nissans most powerful car with Luxury, Style, Sport, and Comfort at it's core.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:41 AM
dmontzsta

*Insert my opinions here*

Old 09-11-2003, 09:49 AM
I'm so hood

why not?

Is engine power all that's needed to be 'sporty'?

I wish my 4th gen was a bit more sporty. I don't know if an aftermarket suspension would do it for me, but I'll probably be selling next year for something newer, and hopefully something from the nimble RWD-ish side of things.

I love the VQ, and I'll push it once in a while, but the car still feels sedany enough to where it does not beg me to drive it hard. I can appreciate the comforts on the interior too (albeit I'd like them more if it didn't have the rattles it developed at and past 90k, but that's age for you), but would like something I could slide around at the autox in.

The Maxima was never a family sedan.
I think the demographics of the owners, hard data aside and just seeing about 95% of 4th and 5th gen drivers around being middle-aged ladies, would disagree with you. But it is less of a posh family sedan than competitors. However, with the 5th and 6th gen progression, to me it seems to be losing more sport appeal.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:46 AM

I And I was in deep thought at school today..."If it can be turbo'd, sc'ed, and all this stuff is available for it...how can it be just a family sedan?"

What are your thoughts?
I would stop wake and baking on school days if I were you.....

Old 09-11-2003, 01:14 PM

The STI and EVO are 4DSC's. The Maxima is not. And if Nissan were looking for it to be a "sportscar", they surely wouldn't be equipping them with the same tires that are OEM for the Camry ('02-'03 Maxima).
Old 09-11-2003, 02:00 PM

Maxima=4DSC always!
Old 09-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Administrator

why is this thread still open?
Old 09-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Boost.....

Originally Posted by SprintMax

You forgot to lock it.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:18 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by SprintMax
a fishing line.....do you fish?
Old 09-11-2003, 06:09 PM
UCF Lexus

Originally Posted by Lurchdogg11
I would stop wake and baking on school days

ssssssh!

hush !
Old 09-11-2003, 07:00 PM

"95% of 4th and 5th gen drivers around being middle-aged ladies"? Where did you get that from!?!?! Demographics is not a sure fire of what direction the Automaker wanted the vehicle to follow, It just means Nissan had a bad marketing team. BMW has the highest or at least one of the highest percentage of gay buyers, what does that tell you?

Originally Posted by blizz20oma
Is engine power all that's needed to be 'sporty'?

I think the demographics of the owners, hard data aside and just seeing about 95% of 4th and 5th gen drivers around being middle-aged ladies, would disagree with you. But it is less of a posh family sedan than competitors. However, with the 5th and 6th gen progression, to me it seems to be losing more sport appeal.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPowers
BMW has the highest or at least one of the highest percentage of gay buyers, what does that tell you?
That gay people have really good taste in cars?
Old 09-12-2003, 05:53 AM
Project Ruby......

Originally Posted by delerium75

On the surface, a Maxima does have four doors but compared to other 'family' sedans, a Maxima has always been more stylish, more rewarding to drive and has always had a 6-cylinder engine with an available stick. They've never been ho-hum and always get a bit of respect when you answer the question of what kind of car you drive with "A Maxima". I think it's reputation has much to do with how other people perceive the car but that reputation is only backed up with actually knowing what it's like to drive one.
You definetly get the respect when you say you drive "A Maxima". I'm 16 and my dad DID let me drive his '95. A few of my friends asked me what I drove and I said the Maxima. And they went WOW those are NICE!

One of them asked if I was driving my mom's '02, and I said no, sadly. And he said oh man if you were driving that you'd be the pimp of the school.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by delerium75
Wow! Shipping for a little sticker is expensive! Does anyone know of another place to get the sticker, maybe for a little bit less? Don't really feel like paying over 12 bucks in all just for one sticker.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:33 AM
dmontzsta

Originally Posted by WVmax
Wow! Shipping for a little sticker is expensive! Does anyone know of another place to get the sticker, maybe for a little bit less? Don't really feel like paying over 12 bucks in all just for one sticker.
nope.

But there is a reason it is in the 3rd gen part section. Dont go badging your car with something it is not. It is like the 5.0 guys that put cobra badges on their cars.

Old 09-12-2003, 08:25 AM

One entry found for maximum.

Main Entry: max·i·mum
Pronunciation: 'mak-s(&-)m&m
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural max·i·ma /-s&-m&/; or maximums /-s(&-)m&mz/
Etymology: Latin, neuter of maximus
Date: 1740
1 a : the greatest quantity or value attainable or attained b : the period of highest, greatest, or utmost development
2 : an upper limit allowed (as by a legal authority) or allowable (as by the circumstances of a particular case)
3 : the largest of a set of numbers; specifically : the largest value assumed by a real-valued continuous function defined on a closed interval
- maximum adjective
Old 09-12-2003, 08:30 AM

What it's become.

Middle
Aged
Xanthippe
Impure
Misshapen
Atrocity
Old 09-12-2003, 10:52 AM

'maxima' is the feminine form of the Latin adjective 'maximus' (maximus = masculine, maximum = neuter, maxima = feminine), which conveys the concept "Greatest".

It's the greatest of all cars, and it's a she. (James T. Kirk, psi-2000 virus episode- "Now I know why they call it a SHE!!!" getting all emotional about his beloved starship after he's been drugged by some weird plague)

I think I've finally decided on a name for my beloved chariot-- "Maxi". Sounds cute, yet feminine enough for a car. And girls only wish their Maxi-pads flew as fast as my Maxi does.

Quick Reply: What IS a Maxima?