General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Review: Hawks Brake Pads and Advance Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 06:30 AM

Review: Hawks Brake Pads and Advance Rotors

Well I do allot of highway driving approx 100 miles a day roundtrip to and from work. On these trips I have to make at least two or three times a week a suddent stop from 80 to 20 or even to 0. My oem brakes havent enjoyed this to much... so I was doing most of my stopping power by downshifting as it seemed I didnt even have brake pads at times. So on to the review

Hawks Brake Pads HPS- Install went fine, they fit perfect and already have a shim on the back of the pad no need to transfer over that old brittle one you have been using the last 4 years. I went ahead anyway and put some brake quiet on them just for grins and tickles. I advise that you read the included instructions on the proper break in of the pads. By the way I got the pads at raceshopper.com paid 64 shipped and had them here next day.

Advance AutoParts Rotors- These rotors cost 28 bucks each so I was a little weary of the quality but from the looks they seem of decent grade. They are actually a little lighter than the stockers . These are pretty straightforward on the install remove you brake pads braket and replace. I do recommend as all will that you clean the pre oiled rotors with brake cleaner.

After breaking them in last night this morning on the way to work I decided its time to test these things out...so I got in the far right lane. Doing about 80 made sure there was no one behind me for a good while then did a fast slow down to 20....man these babies feel great, no more steering wheel shake, no loud noises just nothing but hold on and hope the stuff in the back seat doesnt hit you in the head. So I repeated this step three of four times in a row to see how they would do heated up. Not once did they fade on me. On my fourth run I decided to stop from 100 to 20 and see what it would do. This time my sunglasses in the back seat came flying forward to the front.

Final conclussion- The hawks hps series brake pads are a far cry above the oem's I highly recommend them. They havent been on long enough to test for dust, but if the Hawks isnt lying to me it should be pretty low. As for the advance autoparts rotors. We'll see how long they last but so far so good, they seem to be a great buy at 28 bucks each.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:33 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Good review.

FYI, a lighter rotor is not a good thing. More mass means more heat storage means better stopping....at least as far as cast iron rotors are concerned.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:41 AM

Yeah if these wear down I think I might replace with some slotted rotors. Either that or save up and go for the wildwood kit
Old 09-19-2003, 07:02 AM
STFU n00b!

1. as mzmtg said, lighter rotors are not better. if you're scraping for 0.01 in the 1/4, then sure.
2. It takes a couple hundred miles to break in rotors. most likely your test just ruined those rotors by not allowing them time to heat cycle properly.
cruising along at 90, then suddenly slamming the brakes down to 20 is EXTREMELY hard on brakes, no matter what rotors and pads you're using. stuff like that will warp and crack rotors in a matter of weeks.

Hope these work for you, but I wouldn't put too much faith in them lasting at this rate.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:26 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Just curious, how sudden can these stops be if you're aware you have to make them 2-3 times a week? If you are aware of these suddens stops wouldn't you be prepare for them and start breaking a lot sooner and please dont take that the wrong way.

Nice to know the Hawks are working good
Old 09-19-2003, 07:38 AM

Lol..what I meant by the was at least 2-3 times a week a situation arises that I have to stop..quickly its not the same day , same place same time like I can avoid it. When your cruising with rush hour traffic at 80mph anything can come up at anytime. I was just stating that a few times a week these things come.
Matt93se-Yeah I wasnt looking for better track speed I was just mentioning the weight change. If my stopping this morning ruined my rotors, guess it gives me a good reason to get slotted. I think I'll be fine, rotor makers have to expect that if rotors are replaced someone could be put into a compromising situation that would require heavy braking after newly installed parts. With that in mind I dont think they would make a product that would be ruined from a few sudden stops, after newly being replaced. I dont think they are going to tear up that easy from my few tests this morning and if so, I'll take the things back to advance they have a 1 yaer warranty.