General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Koni shocks adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 12:54 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Koni shocks adjustment

A few weeks ago I installed Koni's on my 93. While doing so I was fooling around with the different adjustments settings on the shock, from the softest to firmess and I have a question.

I notice the valve adjustment only adjusted the rebound stroke and not the compress stroke. The compress stroke will say the same regardless of how soft or firm you have the shock adjusted. Are the 4th or 5th gens Koni's the same?

Besides being possibly cheaper to manufacturer why would Koni only have the rebound stroke adjustable? Are there any performance benefits of having the rebound adjustable and not the compress? Any pros/cons?

If it matters I have mine set in between the softest and firmess. After several months of getting use to the Koni's I think I'm going to tear them down and re-adjust the shocks to be firmer. Not that I have any complaints with its current settings, I just would like to see if I can feel a difference and would I like the difference.

Greetings
Old 09-21-2003, 01:09 PM
STFU n00b!

they did that because of the cartridge setup. we're using the koni "sport" struts or something. they have others that are fully adjustable, but they're all the ones that mount as a complete strut with the shaft you turn at the top.

I don't know why that technology can't be applied to the 3rd gen struts, but for some reason it can't...
one of the obvious things is that the parts may take up so much room in the end of the strut that there's not enough left over for proper spring travel. 3rd gen struts have the absolute shortest strut of just about any passenger car out there. 4th gen struts are 2" longer, sentras and altimas are 1" longer.. 5th gens are 3" longer I believe.
3rd gen strut is only 12" long. very short. again, not much room to do anything in there.