General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Question regarding strobes' Is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 09:40 PM

Question regarding strobes' Is this possible?

Ever since I put HIDs into my 4th gen, I've obviously lost the ability to signal/flash people. Its not really a huge deal but it'd be nice regardless. I was thinking of getting strobes installed into the headlight housing. I dont know a ton about them but I'm guessing that a hole would need to be drilled into the back of the housing. Is this what people normally do? More importantly, is it possible to have them run through a switch which would toggle the strobe to just a solid beam and of course "off" My motive behind this is mostly to be able to show a cop that I do in fact have a "high beam" (even though it isn't really) just incase.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:46 PM
UCF Lexus

sometimes they drill from the top....but I wouldnt do this operation. I had strobes on my 3rd gen and I regretted gettin them.

Just wave to them....
Old 09-28-2003, 07:59 AM

What exactly did you regret about getting them? In terms of signaling, I would be using them as a "turn off your brights" or "the slow lane is the one to your right, k thx." Waving doesnt always get those points across, especially at night.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:07 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by ch13f
I would be using them as a "turn off your brights" or "the slow lane is the one to your right, k thx." Waving doesnt always get those points across, especially at night.
using strobes in that manner would be INCREDIBLY distracting and annoying ...what, has flashing the high beams once or twice become played out??
Old 09-28-2003, 10:19 AM

^

More importantly, is it possible to have them run through a switch which would toggle the strobe to just a solid beam and of course "off"
I guess I needed to be more clear, the blinking strobe would only be for show purposes, I want to know if I would be able to have them wired as a solid, non blinking beam in addition. I wouldn't use the blinking strobes on highways/roads, that'd be just plain mean.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:23 AM

^

I guess I needed to be more clear, the blinking strobe would only be for show purposes, I want to know if I would be able to have them wired as a solid, non blinking beam in addition. I wouldn't use the blinking strobes on highways/roads, that'd be just plain mean.
Hi there, I sell a bunch of strobe kits here on the Org. It's impossible to do what you want and keep the strobes on a constant ON pattern to make them look as if they were a high-beam. I don't know if you've actually seen a strobe bulb in action but you cannot keep them constantly ON without them flashing, that's the whole design of a strobe, to flash.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:09 AM

Ok cool, I thought maybe you could wire them to bypass the relay(?). Obviously not though. After reading that thread, I'll most likely order one of your kits in the near future regardless. One more question, since drilling into the housing isn't that big of a deal apparently, would it be possible to wire up an addidtional halogen headlight bulb to act as a high beam? Something like an h3 would probably be small enough.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:33 PM

Ok cool, I thought maybe you could wire them to bypass the relay(?). Obviously not though. After reading that thread, I'll most likely order one of your kits in the near future regardless. One more question, since drilling into the housing isn't that big of a deal apparently, would it be possible to wire up an addidtional halogen headlight bulb to act as a high beam? Something like an h3 would probably be small enough.
i really don't know if you could throw in an additional H3 bulb into your headlight housings...email me or visit www.kdlighting.com if you're interested in a strobe kit.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by krazyd
Hi there, I sell a bunch of strobe kits here on the Org. It's impossible to do what you want and keep the strobes on a constant ON pattern to make them look as if they were a high-beam. I don't know if you've actually seen a strobe bulb in action but you cannot keep them constantly ON without them flashing, that's the whole design of a strobe, to flash.
i dont think u can make strobes stay on a constant, they gotta blink, or they will blow way too much current going thru them.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maseo77
i dont think u can make strobes stay on a constant, they gotta blink, or they will blow way too much current going thru them.

no you can not make the stobes be on constantly. the reason why they blink is because while the are off the capacitor charges and when they are on the capacitor dissapates the current. Kind of like when u use a camera with a flash, u gotta with for the cap the charge b4 u take the picture. Stobes require a **** load of current. thats y it uses the capacitor. U can drill a hole and put in an h4 and seal it up with silicon but it would look getto, how about putting some fogs in the grill and then flashing them? you can make them alternate. i'm sure that would be noticable.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:16 PM

^ Ah, ok. I didn't even realize strobes used a capacitor, it all makes perfect sense now, Thanks. I suppose it would look a bit strange to have an extra bulb in the housing unless I was to cover it with some sort of reflector, similar to what over the regular bulb.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^

PS: They drilled my strobes through the top.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wisky97SE

PS: They drilled my strobes through the top.
You can install them from the top, bottom, sides, anywhere. But they are supposed to be installed as close to existing bulb in the housing as possible because that's the central most point of the light. I don't know whta these other people on here are talking about saying "Don't install them from the top", they don't know what they are talking about. This is my job