General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

YaY or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 11:05 PM

im thinking of getting a 2k1 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8-t Wolfsburg edition

now my question is. i know the aftermakrte is nuts for Vw's but how is the reliability?
any one know?

my first choice was a 20th anni max in white, 5 spd, but can't afford that
Old 02-21-2001, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by Bryan H

now my question is. i know the aftermakrte is nuts for Vw's but how is the reliability?
any one know?

well from my perspective of reliability is.. if the aftermarket for that particular car is huge.. then dont' worry about reliability cuz u'll alwasy have a "better" part to replace the broken one with right? assuming u plan to mod the car to no ends... but i say go toyota if u want reliability and honda... u consider the cl 3.2 type s? i'm sure there'll be a whole lot more stuff for that car than the max... i like that car alot..
Old 02-21-2001, 11:22 PM
I'm needing a caw

Knowing you bro, I think you should get the Golf Vr6 and SC the living hell out of it. The Golfs are the lighested? But if you stuck on the 1.8T Jetta, then I think they are pretty good. I don't know about the long term reliability on chipped mods though. I do know the Audi dealers are going on a campaign to void new Audis that are chipped. I don't know what stand VW is taking on that. I get the feeling that anything not boosted is going to be a letdown for ya Bryan! I guess you gotta lurk around that vortex site?
Old 02-22-2001, 09:43 AM

Well Bryan if you are going to go wild on it, why not go with a little older A4? I mean if you are going to keep it stock, then by all means go with the new car, but I'd look at a used A4 or Jetta 1.8t to mod first.
Old 02-22-2001, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by mingo
u consider the cl 3.2 type s? i'm sure there'll be a whole lot more stuff for that car than the max... i like that car alot..
why recommend a CL-S when he said the AE Max is too much money??
Old 02-22-2001, 10:00 AM

Bryan...

is this VW replacing the GSX?
what happened, man?
If so you better be ready before this summer!
Old 02-22-2001, 10:07 AM
RussMaxManiac

Dude! How many cars u gonna go through? Your gonna beat me soon! :P

Originally posted by Bryan H

any one know?

Old 02-22-2001, 10:10 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

One word

100K/ten year powertrain warranty which ever comes first.

Ok, that was more than one word
Old 02-22-2001, 10:29 AM

VW???

Hey I know that VW has come leaps and bounds in the last few years with looks as well as reliability, but in my opinion...go with the MAX!!!

I know you said you couldn't afford the 20th AE...so! Go with the SE model. Jetta's are way to small for a 4dr sedan.

Again, just my opinion.
Old 02-22-2001, 10:41 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: VW???

Plus Jettas cost as much as a SE does, 25k~

Originally posted by Str8Maxin
Hey I know that VW has come leaps and bounds in the last few years with looks as well as reliability, but in my opinion...go with the MAX!!!

I know you said you couldn't afford the 20th AE...so! Go with the SE model. Jetta's are way to small for a 4dr sedan.

Again, just my opinion.

Old 02-22-2001, 11:39 AM

Don't ever buy a VW or Audi! I worked with them (at my old job) for about 1 1/2 years, and know how they operate, and deal with people on a business level. VW doesn't care about their customers, as well as their products. I spent a lot of time inspecting and classifing their parts, as well as dealing with people in the corporate headquarters (Auburn Hills) and part depots (particularly the one in NJ). Their products are crap. Their cars break down as often as most American cars, however, are much more expensive to fix, and the dealerships give you a very hard time about doing repairs. I feel this is because VW is very arrogant about their products. It's like they are in it for themselves, not for their products or their customers. They feel they are on par w/ the likes of Porsche, BMW, and MB (I dealt with BMW as well, who are down to earth people, who stand by their products, and strive for perfection in every respect). They also feel that if it breaks, it is the user's fault (never the fault on their end). This starts on the corporate level (the people I dealt with in Auburn Hills), all the way through the dealers and repair shops. Based on their business decisions alone, I wouldn't trust their products as far as I could throw them. I owned a VW, and my mother owned an Audi. Both cars were unreliable, and were literally broken more than fixed. Every repair was at least $600, and being without the car for a few days. It even took weeks to months to get an appointment b/c there is such a high volume of VW's that needed to get fixed. The bottom line is that VW's are crap. Wait until the time comes when you need to get it repaired, you're gonna be in for a big suprise. VW doesn't want/like to honor their warranties, and will try to screw you over, one way or another. I know several people who have owned/beeen screwed by VW, so this isn't just my opinion. I am not try to start flames, just spreading the information that I know about VW, and what you'd be getting into by purchasing one.
Old 02-22-2001, 12:01 PM

Yo Slim, I guess you got fired, huh?

Just kidding dude. I can back up everything your saying cause I know someone who works for them as well...they have commented the same.
Old 02-22-2001, 12:21 PM

Naw, didn't get fired. The company I worked for was hired by VW for Customs House Brokerage support, and for me to build a database of their parts (so when someone brings a part in to the country, they can find out the duty and/or any other info needed about the part, as to be in compliance w/ Customs). For a year and a half I was the sole person in charge of this, and working w/VW was like pulling teeth. I needed info for certain things to get done, and they would totally blow me off, or give me massive amounts of **** for it. This is towards the people they hired to take care of their company in respects to US Customs! They eventually threw out all the numbers I gave them over that time period, saying they were all wrong (which was ********) and went with PriceWaterhouseCoopers, yep, the ACCOUNTANTS. to take care of IMPORTING and CUSTOMS HOUSE BROKERAGE(the company I worked for specialized in this-its what we do-with licensed Custom House Brokers). PWC's #'s were all wrong. We would continue to get notices from Customs on parts they 'took care of', needing to be reclassified b/c they were wrong. I could go on for hours about VW (this is just a small example), PWC, and about the stupid company I worked for, but I feel I've made my point...
Old 02-22-2001, 01:52 PM

Russ, the vw im looking at is 19k
=o)

just the typical mods to it, chip, intake and exhaust. nothing extreme

francis. the dsm is not a daily driver car. the standalone doesn't allow it

its a trailor quen. so if anyone wants a extremely fast street legal dsm, let me know
its forsale
Old 02-22-2001, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by WoodEar
Originally posted by mingo
u consider the cl 3.2 type s? i'm sure there'll be a whole lot more stuff for that car than the max... i like that car alot..
why recommend a CL-S when he said the AE Max is too much money??
maybe cuz i thought it was cheaper??? but apparently it's not is it??? because sticker was 29 wheni saw it a long time ago and sticker for my car was also 29.. so i thot the ae would be alot more..