General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Issues with AGX - Post them here

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 06:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Issues with AGX - Post them here

I'm kind of disappointed in the quality of these struts. I'm getting clunks and creaks when my right rear extends over imperfections in the road. It's driving me crazy and the only way I can block it out is to turn up my stereo to drown it out.

Tom told me he was having this problem with the Motivational Mounts (which I'm using) as well as with the stock mounts so the mounts aren't the problem. He will be testing the Illuminas for the rear and if they don't do what the AGX's are doing, I'm going to replace the AGX with the Illumina.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:17 AM

I think I know what you're saying, I get a little bang/hop kinda noise when my rear agx went over bumps when I had those. Did you torque the rear bolts down? mine made a bit of noise then I torqued it to like 105lb-ft and its quiet now. I'm running on illuminas now... but I think the noise is still there my only issues with the agx was they leaned like a boat at the auto-x even on 4/8 and stiff as hell on normal roads on 1/2.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:21 AM

Yeah I torqued them down good but Tom says if you loosen them the noise quiets down a bit but doesn't go away.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:23 AM
Jedi Knight

damn...and I was thinking about getting these, I hope the Gr2s don't have the same issues or do they?
Old 11-14-2003, 07:29 AM

Hell, they ride fine but the noise sucks.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:34 AM
Master Will

hmmm..I might not be getting them because of this...hmmm...good info...
Old 11-14-2003, 08:01 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by nupe500
damn...and I was thinking about getting these, I hope the Gr2s don't have the same issues or do they?
Mine dont.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:51 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

My rear AGXs are still in good shape, but I do get the mild rearend clunk (comes from the passenger side) and the ride is overly stiff, especially now that temps are in the 30s-50s. I plan on dumping these struts and getting the rear Konis. I have Konis in the front and I love them. Apparantly the reason AGXs ride so stiff is because when you adjust them, the dampening and rebound change. The Konis only adjust one way (dampening or rebound, can't remember) and that's why they ride a bit better and are more ideal for street cars. I believe the Illuminas are the same way.

Dave
Old 11-14-2003, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by slammed95
Mine are totally quiet. No noises at all. Had them on for over a hear and I'm completely satisfied with them . I just wish the strut body was shorter.
I've had my AGX for 1.5 years now, no problems with noises whatsoever. However, I'm getting tired of the very stiff ride, and will be switching to Illumina's in the spring
Old 11-14-2003, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by deezo
I'm kind of disappointed in the quality of these struts. I'm getting clunks and creaks when my right rear extends over imperfections in the road. It's driving me crazy and the only way I can block it out is to turn up my stereo to drown it out.

Tom told me he was having this problem with the Motivational Mounts (which I'm using) as well as with the stock mounts so the mounts aren't the problem. He will be testing the Illuminas for the rear and if they don't do what the AGX's are doing, I'm going to replace the AGX with the Illumina.

Have had the AGX's on my car for more than a year now and I am unimpressed. The ride quality has not been good and it has only gotten worse since I put them on. I also have a nasty rear clunk sound from my passenger rear, I have checked all the bolts and they are tight so I don't know what it is. If I had to do again I would skip the AGX's and get something else.

Adam
Old 11-14-2003, 09:51 AM
rilla dope

I've had mine quite a while and love them. When they are set loose they ride great and when I want to dial it up to retard levels it gets rough, but the handling owns big time. Haven't had an issue at all and I'd buy em again
Old 11-14-2003, 09:54 AM
I need a truck

No problems whatsoever with mine yet *knock on wood*
Old 11-14-2003, 10:12 AM

no problems here either. Ive had mine for like 6 months and still love them. I only wish they could adjust from inside the car
Old 11-14-2003, 10:33 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by Dave B
The Konis only adjust one way (dampening or rebound, can't remember) and that's why they ride a bit better and are more ideal for street cars. I believe the Illuminas are the same way.

Dave

The two dampening rates are the compression damping and the rebound damping. AGX adjusts both, Koni only adjust rebound dampening. Loose rebound dampening leads to a "floaty" sensation. When you crank up the AGXs, they also increase compression. You get rid of the floatiness, but at the expense of a stiff ride.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
The two dampening rates are the compression damping and the rebound damping. AGX adjusts both, Koni only adjust rebound dampening. Loose rebound dampening leads to a "floaty" sensation. When you crank up the AGXs, they also increase compression. You get rid of the floatiness, but at the expense of a stiff ride.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:33 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't see why you think its the struts making noise...

I've had no problems with my AGX's...I do get the occasional noise from the back of the car, but I can't blame to struts for that. I'm more prone to think its the coil-overs or strut mounts/bolts.

I have had problems with Koni's though (blew one).
Old 11-14-2003, 11:40 AM

I have GC/AGX combo. I think all the noise is coning from GC sice the springs sit on aluminum seats - metal to metal contact.

My problem is rubbing. I have no idea what is rubbing, but something is. I was thinking my wheel was rubbing some piece of suspension (because my wheels are 47mm offset) but I checked today and I don't see any scratch, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sigh... It's frustrating
Old 11-14-2003, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ejj
I don't see why you think its the struts making noise...
I've taken them off, inspected them and found nothing and to here more people say the sound it coming from the rear passenger side tells me something could be wrong with the way the strut is positioned which I hope is not true.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:24 PM
ejj

I've taken them off, inspected them and found nothing and to here more people say the sound it coming from the rear passenger side tells me something could be wrong with the way the strut is positioned which I hope is not true.
I've never noticed a difference in the position of stock, koni or AGX shocks...

IMO, if you're getting clunking noises, you've got something loose back there. As long as the strut is pressurized (not blown), I can't see it making the noises.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by ejj
I've never noticed a difference in the position of stock, koni or AGX shocks...

IMO, if you're getting clunking noises, you've got something loose back there. As long as the strut is pressurized (not blown), I can't see it making the noises.
Nothings loose that's why it's so annoying. At some point, I'm going to rip the right side down and see what I find.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:42 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

I have AGX and I am satistified with the shocks. I do have some noises but I think it's emanating from the GC coilovers.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:48 PM
Granny Driven

Deezo i had 3 maximas all with AGX dropped pretty low and no problems. I dont think its the shocks but ur springs or the rubber parts u used.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:12 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

As I told Deezo, my rear AGX started getting clunky after about 2 years of service. The noise is more noticable in the winter when everything is stiff. They made the same noise last winter on the stock setup, springs and mounts as well as lowered now with H&R springs and Motivational mounts. I've also replaced all the rubber bushings as well, and the noise never changes. So it's not a hardware issue for sure.

Personally I think the rear AGX's do a great job keeping the rear end planted on the road. The fronts are to stiff and produce a harsh ride on any lowering spring.

I'm 99% convinced that the noise is coming from the valving inside the rear shocks. The shock on the right side of my car is loud, while the left side is still pretty quiet. As of this week my left front strut bearing has decided it doesn't like the cold weather. so I think I might do a little playing around with Max on Saturday. If I get around to throwing the Illuminas I've got in the rear, I'll post the results up either here or in a new thread titled, "The clunk is gone."
Old 11-14-2003, 07:34 PM
How 'bout them cliffs?

what if someone changed the rear AGX's from side to side? or is it the fronts that are interchangeable?

yeah, i got the noise problem too.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by dmBK
what if someone changed the rear AGX's from side to side? or is it the fronts that are interchangeable?

yeah, i got the noise problem too.
I was going to try that when I get the chance.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
As I told Deezo, my rear AGX started getting clunky after about 2 years of service. The noise is more noticable in the winter when everything is stiff. They made the same noise last winter on the stock setup, springs and mounts as well as lowered now with H&R springs and Motivational mounts. I've also replaced all the rubber bushings as well, and the noise never changes. So it's not a hardware issue for sure.

Personally I think the rear AGX's do a great job keeping the rear end planted on the road. The fronts are to stiff and produce a harsh ride on any lowering spring.

I'm 99% convinced that the noise is coming from the valving inside the rear shocks. The shock on the right side of my car is loud, while the left side is still pretty quiet. As of this week my left front strut bearing has decided it doesn't like the cold weather. so I think I might do a little playing around with Max on Saturday. If I get around to throwing the Illuminas I've got in the rear, I'll post the results up either here or in a new thread titled, "The clunk is gone."
deezo
i had the noise in the right rear & front left. we took them apart and but them back together with no new parts, it was the seating of the shock. it was the top of the rear shock and it was the top & bottom of the front shock. i have my agx when they first came out.

my oem shocks only had 26k mls on them and they blew fast. then i got the tokico blues because everyone said they where the best. they only lasted 8 months and all 4 went bad with 18's on the car. then i got the agx and i have to say that they work very well, i even went with 19's & installed my system in the trunk and the agx are still doing good.

the only thing i don't like about the front agx is the first hit when when you it a large bump or pothole, even when driving with 15's.

i wanted to go with the front Illuminas but i'm still waiting to see some results from ppl with eibach or sprints with big wheels. most ppl that have gotten the illuminas have H&R springs with small (15" to 17") wheels. i want to hear from the big boys with 19's & 20's that have the Illuminas for at least 4 to 6 month before i throw out some more money.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by 97GLES
deezo
i had the noise in the right rear & front left. we took them apart and but them back together with no new parts, it was the seating of the shock. it was the top of the rear shock and it was the top & bottom of the front shock. i have my agx when they first came out.

my oem shocks only had 26k mls on them and they blew fast. then i got the tokico blues because everyone said they where the best. they only lasted 8 months and all 4 went bad with 18's on the car. then i got the agx and i have to say that they work very well, i even went with 19's & installed my system in the trunk and the agx are still doing good.

the only thing i don't like about the front agx is the first hit when when you it a large bump or pothole, even when driving with 15's.

i wanted to go with the front Illuminas but i'm still waiting to see some results from ppl with eibach or sprints with big wheels. most ppl that have gotten the illuminas have H&R springs with small (15" to 17") wheels. i want to hear from the big boys with 19's & 20's that have the Illuminas for at least 4 to 6 month before i throw out some more money.
Tell me something, did you have the adjustment **** facing outward when you experienced the noises(rear)?
Old 11-15-2003, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by The_Bomb
Have had the AGX's on my car for more than a year now and I am unimpressed. The ride quality has not been good and it has only gotten worse since I put them on. I also have a nasty rear clunk sound from my passenger rear, I have checked all the bolts and they are tight so I don't know what it is. If I had to do again I would skip the AGX's and get something else.

Adam

That's so weird. I have the same clunk from my rear right AGX. I wonder what it could be?
Old 11-16-2003, 06:57 AM

Tell me something, did you have the adjustment **** facing outward when you experienced the noises(rear)?
deezo
at first i had the **** facing down so i can get to them fast.

when we took everything apart the **** are facing the brakes/ wheels. it's a little harder to adjust but i have found that 4 in the rear with my stereo works very well.

i have no plans so far of changing my rear agx.

i just wish kyb would re-do there front agx shocks.

also keep in mind that our front suspension is not as good as other cars. other cars are being lowered 2" to 2.5" and have a smoother ride than the max.

let's not forget we also have that 4x4 look to start with, when other cars look lowered already.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by sidewinder740
That's so weird. I have the same clunk from my rear right AGX. I wonder what it could be?
Did you guys ever stop to check the rear beam hitting the exhaust pipe whenever you drive over bump and potholes. Mine does that. And it seems like that all of you guys are complaining about the passenger side where the exhaust pipe goes over the beam suspension.

If you guys have the time, check it while you car is sitting on the ground for clearance then have someone bounce it up and down to see if it hittting the exhaust pipe.

Just my 02 cents

Eric
Old 11-16-2003, 12:32 PM

my front right AGX makes a noise whenever i roll over speed bumps. I guess it happens only when the strut expands and then goes back down. My rears ones in a while squeek, but the again it could be my Sprints... who knows

Ant
Old 11-16-2003, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by EZEMaxima
Did you guys ever stop to check the rear beam hitting the exhaust pipe whenever you drive over bump and potholes. Mine does that. And it seems like that all of you guys are complaining about the passenger side where the exhaust pipe goes over the beam suspension.

If you guys have the time, check it while you car is sitting on the ground for clearance then have someone bounce it up and down to see if it hittting the exhaust pipe.

Just my 02 cents

Eric
It doesn't sound like its coming from under the car though. It sounds like its coming from the trunk area.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:42 AM
Sports Button FTW

sometimes i hear noises when my car takes dips and stuff but i always thought it was my sprints making spring noise....hmmm
Old 11-17-2003, 10:04 AM
Old Maxima Legend

no problems no worries

no problems here. LOVE THEM !
Old 11-17-2003, 10:14 AM
Still kickin'

I'm going to have to agree with EZEMaxima on that...don't laugh, but i got that sound when i had my muffler semi unbloted. It was slid over so that the exhaust would exit before the muffler, and bolted to the muffler flange with one bolt. the rear I beam, at large bumps, would actually hit the exhaust pipe, and my car has stock suspension. I think that you guys who are lowered with the motivational mounts, or stock for that matter, could be hitting your exhaust. does it sound like something hitting the inside of the trunk, cause that's what it sounded like to me when my car did that.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:22 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

i think they are excellent struts

when i had them on my 4th gen, they were completely quiet.. the rode very well too. I heard a slight clunk noise every now and then but nothing to be worked up over.

the noise should not automatically be blamed on the struts too..

it can be the spring or one of the other little suspension components
or
the way they were installed. It's a simple assembly and a lot of people think they know what they are doing.. it will fit together fine but if you don't turn something the right way, or place it in the right position, it will make noise even if they fit together and feel solid.

also
suspension components are bound to wear out and tear, especially as the car climbs in milage and age... even if you replace them, they may not sit as well as OEM factory stuff.. so it can never get perfect.. most people i talk to who have aftermarket suspension on any car mention some kind of noise..
springs may make a lot of noise when they compress and coils touch each other.
i wrapped 1.5 coils from the bottom and the top on my H&Rs and that was all that was needed.. no noise at all.

if the spring moves off a little bit or something is crooked, you may get noise

i got some ridiculous noise on my 5th gen but it was not the struts, it was the ground controls... the spring moved a little bit when i jacked up the car, then later on i was experiencing a lot of noise. jacked it up and re-aligned everything and noise was gone.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mad-MAX_SE
I'm going to have to agree with EZEMaxima on that...don't laugh, but i got that sound when i had my muffler semi unbloted. It was slid over so that the exhaust would exit before the muffler, and bolted to the muffler flange with one bolt. the rear I beam, at large bumps, would actually hit the exhaust pipe, and my car has stock suspension. I think that you guys who are lowered with the motivational mounts, or stock for that matter, could be hitting your exhaust. does it sound like something hitting the inside of the trunk, cause that's what it sounded like to me when my car did that.
I think that could be it. Is there anything that we could do to keep the rear beam from hitting the exhaust pipe?
Old 11-17-2003, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
no problems here. LOVE THEM !
Do you have your adjustment **** facing out?
Old 11-17-2003, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by NYCe MaXiMa
i think they are excellent struts

when i had them on my 4th gen, they were completely quiet.. the rode very well too. I heard a slight clunk noise every now and then but nothing to be worked up over.

the noise should not automatically be blamed on the struts too..

it can be the spring or one of the other little suspension components
or
the way they were installed. It's a simple assembly and a lot of people think they know what they are doing.. it will fit together fine but if you don't turn something the right way, or place it in the right position, it will make noise even if they fit together and feel solid.

also
suspension components are bound to wear out and tear, especially as the car climbs in milage and age... even if you replace them, they may not sit as well as OEM factory stuff.. so it can never get perfect.. most people i talk to who have aftermarket suspension on any car mention some kind of noise..
springs may make a lot of noise when they compress and coils touch each other.
i wrapped 1.5 coils from the bottom and the top on my H&Rs and that was all that was needed.. no noise at all.

if the spring moves off a little bit or something is crooked, you may get noise

i got some ridiculous noise on my 5th gen but it was not the struts, it was the ground controls... the spring moved a little bit when i jacked up the car, then later on i was experiencing a lot of noise. jacked it up and re-aligned everything and noise was gone.
Jeez, you guys change cars like underwear...
Old 11-18-2003, 08:30 PM

well yesturday i re-adjusted my AGX from 1/1 back to 2/4 and that clunk noise is gone that i was talking about(when i roll over speed bumps). I cant explain why its gone, im happy but at the same time i wonder why when set to #1 it happens

Ant

Quick Reply: Issues with AGX - Post them here