General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Do I need to get a wheel alignment again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 01:11 PM
pjalst

Do I need to get a wheel alignment again?

I just got a wheel alignment over the summer. I just had my Wheel bearings and the hub on the passenger side changed. Do I need to get my car realigned? It seems to be riding fine.

Old 11-27-2003, 05:03 PM
Banned

Not too sure if they need to get the struts out to change the bearing!! If Yes, you certainly want to have it aligned!

Is it a Front or rear bearing?

Rear no need to have it aligned, but if the Front depend on the procedure to change it!!
Old 11-28-2003, 09:13 PM
pjalst

they changed the front passenger bearings

Old 11-29-2003, 12:13 AM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i think the struts stay on for the bearings...they remove the control arms or anything? My guess is no you dont. Hows it drive?
Old 11-29-2003, 07:32 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Spend the 50 bucks and have the alignment checked.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:52 PM
SXN

might be the all around best idea
Old 11-29-2003, 11:43 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by pjalst
I just got a wheel alignment over the summer. I just had my Wheel bearings and the hub on the passenger side changed. Do I need to get my car realigned? It seems to be riding fine.
yes you do.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:48 PM
pjalst

Originally Posted by happyricefob
yes you do.

Thank you for the reply

Old 11-30-2003, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by pjalst
Thank you for the reply
get life time alignment, it was 70 at the place i use, i take my car there any time i think its even slightly off
Old 12-01-2003, 06:08 AM
pjalst

Originally Posted by BadKarma99-4spd
get life time alignment, it was 70 at the place i use, i take my car there any time i think its even slightly off
yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. If I get two alignments it will almost pay for itself.

Old 12-01-2003, 05:43 PM
SXN

its cool if you plan on doing a series of things to your car, but not necessarily at the same time. I remember one org member who got life time alignment, then new struts, then springs, then rims and tires. he got 3 alignments and it more than payed for itself
Old 12-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SXN
its cool if you plan on doing a series of things to your car, but not necessarily at the same time. I remember one org member who got life time alignment, then new struts, then springs, then rims and tires. he got 3 alignments and it more than payed for itself
Thi sis what I plan on doing. I don't have the money or patience to either buy all the suspension mods all at once, or save them up for installation all at once.

I think it's Firestone has a $150 lifetime alignment service.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:24 PM
SXN

its cool because you can do whatever you want in the order you want. alignment is always free and there for you. Also, if you show up with a same colored, similar year max...your buddies can get it free too
Old 12-01-2003, 09:30 PM
pjalst

Originally Posted by SXN
its cool because you can do whatever you want in the order you want. alignment is always free and there for you. Also, if you show up with a same colored, similar year max...your buddies can get it free too
Lol, that's not right . you would think they'd check the VIN

Old 12-01-2003, 10:12 PM
SXN

they dont, one place commented on the plate, so next time we changed the plate.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:09 AM
pjalst

Originally Posted by SXN
they dont, one place commented on the plate, so next time we changed the plate.

did you buddy at least throw you some $$$

Old 12-02-2003, 12:03 PM
SXN

yea, my buddy helped me clean and wax my car, brought over a case of good root beer.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:20 AM

When you get the front end of a Maxima aligned, where do they do the adjustment?
Old 12-03-2003, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
When you get the front end of a Maxima aligned, where do they do the adjustment?
Nobody knows?
Old 12-03-2003, 05:57 PM
SXN

im not sure...doesnt COME with camber plates. the connecting/tie rods im guessing
Old 12-04-2003, 05:35 AM
Banned

Connecting Tie-rod(wheel paralelisme) and the 2 main bolt that retains the struts on the spindle(camber), and for the caster I have no idea!!!
Old 12-04-2003, 06:31 AM

The reason I ask is that the two large bolts holding the struts to the wheel spindles are shoulder bolts, so they are fairly tight fitting and do not allow for adjustment unless the holes in the struts are wallowed out. But by design they are not intended for adjustment purposes. The tie rods are adjustable, but once they are set, there is no reason to readjust them whenever you change or remove the struts. That leaves the three bolts up at the top of the strut, but there are no provisions for adjustment there, either, unless you get aftermarket camber plates.

The reason I bring all this up is that the Haynes manual (and I think the FSM also, but I would have to check to be absolutely sure) states that front end alignment does not need to be adjusted after removing a strut. The service manager at my local Nissan dealer said the same thing, and why would he turn down work if it wasn't true?

I've had my struts off maybe a half dozen times for various reasons (strut replacement, lowering springs, transmission swap, drive axle replacement, wheel bearing replacement, etc.) and I have yet to have the alignment adjusted. I had it checked after I replaced the springs and it came out within spec. My car steers straight ahead with zero pull, and the tires are not wearing abnormally.

Maybe the safest thing is to have your alignment checked every time, but unless my car starts pulling to one side or my tires wear funny, I'm going to save my hard earned cash.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:09 AM

I have been wondering about the need for front end alignment everytime the strut is removed, too. What kind of change that would need an alignment? And what does the alignment shop do? On the Maxima, all you can adjust is toe-in or out. Camber and caster are not adjustable.

Can anyone who has done work on the front end and get the car aligned afteward let us know if the alignment was neccessary and what got adjusted.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:50 AM
pjalst

Originally Posted by UncleMax98
I have been wondering about the need for front end alignment everytime the strut is removed, too. What kind of change that would need an alignment? And what does the alignment shop do? On the Maxima, all you can adjust is toe-in or out. Camber and caster are not adjustable.

Can anyone who has done work on the front end and get the car aligned afteward let us know if the alignment was neccessary and what got adjusted.

Now I'm all confused , some say yes others say no. So which is it, do i need an alignment after a front wheel bearing and hub change or not?

Old 12-04-2003, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by UncleMax98

Read my post just above yours. I had my alignment checked after installing H&R springs. It was well within specs and needed no adjustment. Since then I've had the struts off numerous times without having alignment checked and with no change in steering or tire wear.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:20 PM
SXN

yea, not everyone gets allignment every time, but in some cases (IF you have problems) allignment issues can get hairy, weird tire wear, wobbley car. but by then you should figure it out. anyway...get life time allignment with a flat fee...cheaper and smarter
Old 12-04-2003, 03:37 PM
Banned

Stephen Max :

What you are saying to us is that the soulder bolt of the stock struts aren't wallowed out??

If the struts cannot be adjust either by the shoulder bolt or top plate, that means that Nissan always fabricate struts prefectly and the hole for each bolt are dead center for a good alignment every time???

That sound weird to my ears!!

Anyway, I'ven't undo mine, but will do it this Spring to install my Eibach ProKit!!

Altough I'm pretty sure that all AfterMarket struts are wallowed out though!!(at least one of the shoulder bolt!!
Old 12-05-2003, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Maxpat82
Stephen Max :

What you are saying to us is that the soulder bolt of the stock struts aren't wallowed out??

If the struts cannot be adjust either by the shoulder bolt or top plate, that means that Nissan always fabricate struts prefectly and the hole for each bolt are dead center for a good alignment every time???

That sound weird to my ears!!

Anyway, I'ven't undo mine, but will do it this Spring to install my Eibach ProKit!!

Altough I'm pretty sure that all AfterMarket struts are wallowed out though!!(at least one of the shoulder bolt!!
The steering geometry is set at the factory, just like the rear axle alignment. The only significant adjustment that can be made is toe-in with the tie rods.

But your comment about aftermarket struts is worth taking note of. If the aftermarket strut has bolt holes larger than what the stock strut uses, then yes, that is a potential source of alignment change. I replaced my struts with Tokico Blues. Tokico makes the oem struts, maybe that's why the bolts fit perfectly and I'm not seeing any differences before and after strut removal.