General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

WarpSpeed checks out lined flex section

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2001, 08:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I spent today visiting a large exhaust part warehouse, they had about 15,000 catalytic converters in stock and huge racks full of pipe and mufflers. We were comparing prices and discussing several different brands of gaskets, cats, mufflers, flex sections and flanges.

Since there has been some mention of a lined flex section I just wanted to mention that I have ordered several of the new flex sections which have a liner. The way this flex section is made is similar to the regular flex only there is another layer of braided stainless steel wire on the inside. This is what supposedly gets rid of the bees in a can sound, now after saying that my concern as soon as I examined it was that the liner is loosely woven and it seems to make the ID smaller. Because of that I have concerns that it will restrict exhaust flow. I know from testing that even the corrugated liner slows the exhaust flow when compared to a straight section of pipe of the same length.

Anyway, I have several ordered and will flow test them against the regular flex sections we use and post the results. It will be some time next week before I get them in to test. If the lined sections flow as well as the unlined we will try some on a few pipes, if they reduce flow I am not sure I would want to install them on our pipes, perhaps we might do them on an individual basis per request. I have not seen what the difference if any in the price is. I will be testing a 2.5" and a 3".

Dallas

Old 02-28-2001, 06:14 AM

Can wait to see how well that 3" flows

compared to the 2.5".