General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got my magnaflow...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 05:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Got my magnaflow...

Yet another magnaflow review for your reading pleasure. I got my magnaflow installed this weekend to replace my rusted-out stock muffler. They welded in a new section to fix my leaking b-pipe and kept the stock resonator.

The sound? AWESOME. Really deep, not even remotely ricey. No 4-cylinder will make a sound like this. It's loudest around 2k rpm but not annoyingly so. Quiet on the highway; if you really get on it through the gears, you hear the muffler briefly and then the frankencar kicks in from 2.5k rpm and up. At first I thought it was too quiet, but it gets louder after it warms up. Also, it broke in nicely after a brief 2 hour drive from Philly to New York and got a tad bit louder. I even traded cars with my RSX buddy for a while so I could hear what it sounded like/looked like from the outside. He was blipping the throttle for me and it sounded fantastic. Definitely aggressive, but not loud enough to attract the cops. I'm very, very happy with the overall look, sound, and price. Butt dyno says no gain, but I'm still on the stock Y.

$179 including tax and labor for a magnaflow street series model 14829 including the b-pipe fix. now for that y-pipe...
Old 12-29-2003, 06:04 AM
Jedi Knight

Nice...did you get in installed in Philly? if so where?
Old 12-29-2003, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by nupe500
Nice...did you get in installed in Philly? if so where?
I grew up around the Philly area, but I actually got it done in Vineland, NJ. Another org member recommended that place and they did a great job. The place is called Bargain Brakes and Mufflers.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:47 AM
V^___^V

awesome! exactly how i felt about my magnaflow muffler as well
Old 12-29-2003, 09:06 AM

Just wait till you replace your y-pipe.....sound will be allot different....aka raspy.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:32 AM

Any way to get a sound clip?
Old 12-29-2003, 11:33 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by Larry H
Yet another magnaflow review for your reading pleasure. I got my magnaflow installed this weekend to replace my rusted-out stock muffler. They welded in a new section to fix my leaking b-pipe and kept the stock resonator.

The sound? AWESOME. Really deep, not even remotely ricey. No 4-cylinder will make a sound like this. It's loudest around 2k rpm but not annoyingly so. Quiet on the highway; if you really get on it through the gears, you hear the muffler briefly and then the frankencar kicks in from 2.5k rpm and up. At first I thought it was too quiet, but it gets louder after it warms up. Also, it broke in nicely after a brief 2 hour drive from Philly to New York and got a tad bit louder. I even traded cars with my RSX buddy for a while so I could hear what it sounded like/looked like from the outside. He was blipping the throttle for me and it sounded fantastic. Definitely aggressive, but not loud enough to attract the cops. I'm very, very happy with the overall look, sound, and price. Butt dyno says no gain, but I'm still on the stock Y.

$179 including tax and labor for a magnaflow street series model 14829 including the b-pipe fix. now for that y-pipe...

Wait till you get the y-pipe and you're opinion will quickly change. The car will go from sound good to sounding ricey. There's no way around it.

Dave
Old 12-29-2003, 11:50 AM

yeah i wanna hear a sound clip also. Im thinking of buying this exhaust as well. Hows it look??
Old 12-29-2003, 03:04 PM

heh...

so the general consensus is that the sound goes to hell after a y-pipe. thanks for all the support guys. j/k...

haven't people had some success with different resonators? hopefully I can find a setup that won't change the sound too much after I get the y-pipe in spring.

it looks great...the 4" tip fits the cutout perfectly, and the end of the tip is flush with the end of the bumper.

I'll have to wait till the weekend to get sound clips/pictures since it's dark now by the time I get home from work...
Old 12-30-2003, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Larry H

That's exactly how I felt/still feeling. All I need is a y-pipe and then I'll be set.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by soulchild
That's exactly how I felt/still feeling. All I need is a y-pipe and then I'll be set.
The y-pipe makes the muffer SOOO much more anoying. I had a magnaflow on mine with a resonator for almost a 1yr, & it just droned too damn much. It was DEEP as hell & sounded nice, just a bit much for my taste though. I got the stock muffler back in with magnaflow tips now & its still looking goog, just 90% quieter