General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

DIY suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

DIY suspension help

I'm planning to change out my axles, struts and shocks next weekend and was wondering what else I should do while I'm down there? I've decided to try all this on my own because I simply cannot afford to pay for labor. I have all the tools, Haynes manual, FSM, decent mechanical knowledge, just never work specifically on cars too much. I don't think I'll run into any troubles just wondering what other maintainance items I should take care of while I got the car all torn apart. I've got 98 SE with 125k miles.

So far:

1. Strut mounts
2. Strut mount bearings
3. differential seals
4. AT pan drop and refill
5. GR-2's all around
6. reman. axles ( anybody have issues with these from pepboys, autozone, etc?)

questionable items:

5. repack wheel bearings? (overkill?)
6. Energy suspension bushings?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2004, 09:37 PM

First off, why do you need to change the axels? Is there something wrong with them? My motto is if there is nothing wrong, dont bother. Dont dig into it if there is no need, only causes problems.

Same goes with the diff seals, if there is nothing wrong, dont change them, btw they are not easy to change because of where they are and getting a hammer to slam them in is not easy.

Also you dont have to drop the auto pan to drain the fluid, you can remove the nut and drain it that way. No point dropping the when there is no need.

Changing the shocks is all upto, if you want performance then do it. GR-2s are good shocks.

Repacking the bearings? Again if there is nothing wrong there, dont bother, repacking is too difficult and doubt you got all the tools to rip apart the wheel bearing. Not to mention you have to remove the entire lower control arm with the hub assembly. Be easier to buy the new bearing and put that in IF NEEDED.

Dixit
Old 01-03-2004, 10:27 PM

You'll need the gaskets but you got the mounts from autozone, did you get the kit? Kit comes with gaskets because if you did not return it and spend the extra 5 dollars for the kit. The gaskets are like 30 dollars from Nissan. You need dustboots for shocks, they will greatly extend life of shocks and make it a little bit harder to bottom out. Do you have the axle bit to remove the nut, those things are huge. I agree with Big Jon, only replace what you have too. Unless you are on the original and you have alot of miles or years on your car.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:30 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You need to replace the strut dust covers. KYB Part numbers SB103 and SB108, front and rear respectively. You need 2 of each.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
You need to replace the strut dust covers. KYB Part numbers SB103 and SB108, front and rear respectively. You need 2 of each.
Read the above post, I already said that.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:38 AM

Yup I know I need the dust boots, just having trouble finding the best price. I think Cattman has them for $68 for all four.

I decided to change the axles cause the CV boots are torn badly and I figured that $140 for both reman. axles isn't too bad. I'll get 4 fresh boots with no labor into CV reconditioning. But, I'll have to rip out the old one and I figured that I should change the seals while i'm at it.

Is it really that hard to change out an axle and seals? I was under the impression that it wasn't.

Thanks for all your help guys